January 2nd start date

calibilly

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did lots of meal prep today- hardboiled eggs, hamburger patties, cauliflower rice, roasted veggies, sweet potato and brussels sprouts w/ balsamic reduction. I also made the homemade mayo recipe in the Whole 30 book.... OMG SO SO good! Have slow cooker chili and stuffed bell peppers on the menu for this week. Made sure I have "in case of emergency" snacks stowed in my car for when I get stuck in traffic. I have followed a similar lifestyle change in the past and learned prep is key. If you have options in the fridge, it makes sticking to it much easier- especially when you are tired after a long day of work. 

For those keen on finding recipes, my two favourites are Well Fed (Mel Joulwan) http://meljoulwan.com/wellfed/ and Nomnompaleo (Michelle Tam) http://nomnompaleo.com/
  Have they done a Whole30? Oh yes indeedy! :D

http://meljoulwan.com/2017/01/02/whole30-resources-mega-post/

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/155276926793/ready-for-the-january-whole30

2 hours ago, praxisproject said:

Let me know if you need any local info you can't find :)

For any others outside the USA, you may have a thread for your local region in the Sourcing Good Food section, if there isn't one, start your own!

This is so helpful!! Thanks :)) 

1 hour ago, praxisproject said:

For those keen on finding recipes, my two favourites are Well Fed (Mel Joulwan) http://meljoulwan.com/wellfed/ and Nomnompaleo (Michelle Tam) http://nomnompaleo.com/
  Have they done a Whole30? Oh yes indeedy! :D

http://meljoulwan.com/2017/01/02/whole30-resources-mega-post/

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/155276926793/ready-for-the-january-whole30

Thanks!! I'll try some recipes this week.

Are you also starting this week? 

I made a big roast chicken to have easy protien for most days.  It wasn't an easy first day.  I was worried about starving while eating the wonderful roast chicken with broccoli, sweet potato and salad.  I know its not logical but there it is.  But breakfast and luncha are ready for tomorrow and I have a good plan for dinner.  Thanks for the inspiration everyone!

Nancy

I started today.  It's my second Whole30.  I did it last September as well.  The first time was a major lifestyle change.  I've kept up with most of it, so I'm hoping to refine this time.  I cleaned out the refrigerator yesterday and made some stick blender mayo.  Am now going to make some ketshup from the Well Fed site.  I want to use this as an opportunity to try some new foods.  Made some bok choy tonight that turned out excellent.  Made it before an it was an unappetizing mush.  So this time I was very careful not to overcook.  I want to focus more on exercising throughout the process.  Anyway, hi to all of you.  Glad you're here.

42 minutes ago, NancyAlways said:

I made a big roast chicken to have easy protien for most days.  It wasn't an easy first day.  I was worried about starving while eating the wonderful roast chicken with broccoli, sweet potato and salad.  I know its not logical but there it is.

Lots of this is instinctive, it's perfectly normal for your body to get a bit worried about a sudden change in food. It'll calm down when it works out it's getting loads of good stuff :)

Hi all, I started today too. Glad everyone is here. I've done several rounds of Whole30 (my first was in June 2015), and have experienced many benefits from changing lifestyle habits over the long term. YES it can be done!!! I may not post much (trying to minimize screen time), but I'll be following along and rooting for you all...

Good luck!  : )

Started yesterday with my husband- our first experience w Whole30.  When breastfeeding my third child I had to eliminate many things, which I believe has prepared me mentally to have succeed with Whole30.  I'm most excited to see the effects of no added sugar after 30 days.  

Day #2!  

I feel like I've been hit by a truck.  I think it's the combination of detox from New Year's Eve and the after effects of my first Orange Theory Fitness workout yesterday.  That workout totally kicked my ass (but in a good way).  I'm going back tomorrow for more (because possibly I'm crazy). 

Made the mistake of not checking the label on organic broth I purchased and both contain cane sugar.  Problem is I made a big pot of crock put beef stew this morning using the beef broth.  Now I have to decide if I just skip the meal that I prepared or eat it and start over tomorrow.  In fact, I'm not really even calling it starting over, more like just adding some days to the end.  

I need to source some sugar free broth or make my own.  

Day 2 for me. I feel like Day 1 was the hardest ever.

I'm moody, but time-of-month might have something to do with my extra crabiness as well. 

Yesterday the scale yelled 229.0 in big numbers before I packed it away.  Addicted to the scale, I am. So not getting up and weighing every morning is difficult...but so is not feeling well. I'm choosing to not be tired and fatigued over the scale. I've read how some people give their scale, or worse--throw it away!...but I can't seem to do that, yet. I'm defining myself by a number, and I need to break that. 

I'm thankful to read how everyone's doing. It helps! 

1 hour ago, Julzology said:

Day #2!  

I feel like I've been hit by a truck.  I think it's the combination of detox from New Year's Eve and the after effects of my first Orange Theory Fitness workout yesterday.  That workout totally kicked my ass (but in a good way).  I'm going back tomorrow for more (because possibly I'm crazy). 

Made the mistake of not checking the label on organic broth I purchased and both contain cane sugar.  Problem is I made a big pot of crock put beef stew this morning using the beef broth.  Now I have to decide if I just skip the meal that I prepared or eat it and start over tomorrow.  In fact, I'm not really even calling it starting over, more like just adding some days to the end.  

I need to source some sugar free broth or make my own.  

I'm not an expert by any means, and I get the feelings you have about finding out about the sugar, but I agree with you to just keep going. This is life that we're learning to relive towards a healthy goal. Cheers to making that hit-by-a-truck feeling go away!

On 12/24/2016 at 4:58 AM, ctabz58 said:

I am starting on the second, sounds like I will have lots of folks in the same situation. I feel a bit better knowing I am not alone. Also, sound like some of you are a bit intimidated like myself. I am looking forward to the challenge. My biggest worry is black coffee. I love my non-dairy creamer but its got sugar,  so black it is... yikes. I can do this, I have three grown daughters, now that was hard. See you at the end.

Dream big dreams, they never have expiration dates...

For anyone who can't (or won't) drink black coffee, look up Nutpods.  They are Whole30 approved and you can order on Amazon.  They are amazing and have replaced (for me) milk in my coffee.  I cannot drink black coffee. During my first Whole30 I used Coconut milk when I had coffee, now I use nutpods daily.  They have 3 flavors, french vanilla, hazelnut and original.  seriously, so good.  they take a second to get used to, but I now prefer even the original to the milk I used to use.  

I am doing my 2nd full W30.  I did 10 days back in August and a complete W30 last March/April.  I came so far off the rails during the holidays, this is the only way back. I also need to get back in shape, so this time around I am also exercising during these 30 days.  I look forward to the camaraderie this forum provides as I am single, live alone and am doing this solo.  

Just finished meal 2 on day 2 of my first whole 30! I'm a little scared about how good I'm feeling so far. One thing I noticed today is that I am already eating slower and feeling full faster, I am not tempted to overeat and just keep going like I do with things like pasta.

I started yesterday as well.  I did a lot of prep on Sunday and I was home from work yesterday so I was able to do some more prep in the morning.  The day went well.  No cravings. I still have a lot of junk in my house because of my husband.  He eats the opposite of healthy.  I will have to have some strong will power in the next month!  I was back to work today and packed all my food with snacks.  I am a teacher and my staff room is always filled with food.  So, I know it is important to have healthy snacks on hand.  So far I have not been tempted to eat off the table in the lounge. This is my second Whole 30, but I was not good about the reintroduction process with the first round.  I have been having huge self confidence issues lately and I am hoping this will help me feel better about myself.

Good luck to everyone!

Hello and happy day 2! I have a recipe question that I'm hoping you can help with. I had some "avocado egg salad" this morning for breakfast, and while browsing the forum realized that I really need to add vegetables to this meal in the future. Right now it's simple - 2 hard boiled eggs and half an avocado, plus a couple chopped up cherry tomatoes. Can any of you think of a way I could incorporate veggies? I can't think of anything that would taste good with the existing egg salad.

Thanks!

Archived