January 2nd start date

calibilly

I started Round 2 on Monday too! So far so good. There's a cold/sinus thing going around my house. Woke up yesterday unsure if it was the cold or the sugar hangover that was affecting me. Either way, I headed to bed at 7:30 as soon as my kiddo was in bed and woke up feeling pretty good today. I'm loving the freedom I have this time around to mix up my meals - i.e. not eat eggs for breakfast every morning! I enjoyed a leftover coconut milk curry with cauli-rice and my black tea for breakfast this morning. Feeling great so far and enjoying reading everyone's experiences.

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I made it through 2 days now, not too bad. Slight headache, ankles not swollen, feet feel better. I think my mind is playing game with me. I have had black coffee and did not die. I cheated and put cinnamon in my coffee, so black with a spice. Not bad. No one is dead yet at my house. Making chicken today, excited about trying a new recipe. I am so excited to complete the next 28 days.

Hi all.

Yesterday, day #2 started out really well. Felt okay and I DRANK MY FIRST CUP OF BLACK COFFEE IN MY LIFE!! I normally do mochas. I went to a friends place where they do cold brewed coffee and had an iced one that I actually drank. I was kind of in shock!!

I had jury duty and noticed that the pressure feeling in my right ear felt a bit better. There was crackling which I took as a good sign--movement.

Then at 4:15 yesterday I got the dizzy feeling and it went promptly into hardcore vertigo with the room spinning and vomiting. I'm flat on my back on the floor at work. My parents came and got me and then I just had to do the completely still in bed thing. I'm exhausted today (normal after attack) and have no appettite--also normal.  This is my first attack since Thanksgiving--I've just had the weird feeling in ear for the last 5-6 weeks. 

I'm wondering if this is part of detox for me? That the change in diet could have changed something and triggered the attack? I'm trying to get in with an acupuncturist. My ENT gave me a diuretic last time and told me he'd see me in three months. 

15 hours ago, Gogogomez said:

Omg. I've had the same thing. I went to the ER with vertigo and thought I was dying. That feeling has passed but I feel out of sorts...like I'm swimming or wearing the wrong prescription glasses. I'm going to the ENT tomorrow but also hoping the Whole30 will reduce the inflamation. Good luck!

I'm so sorry. The first time was really scary. My ENT wrote a prescription for a diurectic for the next YEAR and had an MRI to rule out brain isses. I'm trying Whole30, acupuncture, and may do chiro. 

14 hours ago, LKAEFF said:

I have a husband who I love dearly but he likes his drinks at night and his fast food. He tells me how important it is for us both to lose weight, but he will ask hey honey want a drink? Or hey honey I just ordered a pizza etc. It is very difficult to lose weight. Any advise?

I think it's difficult for spouses who have enjoyed food and drink with us to lose their eating and drinking partner.  I know that's the case with my husband.  We're very much into wine and it's difficult because he doesn't want to open a bottle just for himself so he'll end up trying to talk me into it.  

You need to have a heart to heart with him and ask him to support you for these 30 days.  If he was willing to do it with you even better.  I had to do the same with my husband.  When I announced I was doing another whole 30 he immediately declared "you'll never make it" (because I didn't make the first time).  I had to sit him down and reinforce how important his support is.  Talking to him really helped him realize how important this is to me.  I hope that helps you.  

Day 2 was really good for me.  I didn't have the "hangover" feeling like some have, I was just hungry off and on when it wasn't time to eat.  But I did not sleep well and I am normally a sound sleeper.  So today Day 3 I am really really tired.  Otherwise I am ready to keep going!

I started with you on January 2.  This will be my second Whole30, but my first one was two years ago and somehow I have gotten really off the track. This is my Day 3, and it is a dreary day here in New England to match my dreary spirits today, but I am absolutely committed to making these 30 days. I need the support of others, though.  I KNOW this program and reset will work. There really is nothing like it. I remember how fabulous my body, mind and spirit felt and will feel again in just a week or two. 

I was just reading my newsletter which says take it easy on the first week and make it a "half intensity" week at the gym.  I don't know about that.  I dove right in to a new high intensity workout regime on day #1 and I think it helped.  I'm going again tonight after work.  I don't think I'll regret it.  I think the exercise endorphins are helping. 

I could be wrong though.  My arms are still sore from Monday. 

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Julzology said:

I was just reading my newsletter which says take it easy on the first week and make it a "half intensity" week at the gym.  I don't know about that.  I dove right in to a new high intensity workout regime on day #1 and I think it helped.  I'm going again tonight after work.  I don't think I'll regret it.  I think the exercise endorphins are helping. 

I could be wrong though.  My arms are still sore from Monday. 

Be sure you're eating enough (including pre- and post-workout meals on days you work out), drink enough water, and salt your food, and be sure you're getting enough sleep. If you do start to feel tired, or feel like you just can't get enough rest, take some time off from working out, or do something like gentle yoga or stretching, or walking instead of a high intensity workout. Generally at some point during the first week, people find themselves exhausted no matter what kind of workouts they're doing, but not everyone experiences that, so just pay attention to how you're feeling.

1 minute ago, ShannonM816 said:

Be sure you're eating enough (including pre- and post-workout meals on days you work out), drink enough water, and salt your food, and be sure you're getting enough sleep. If you do start to feel tired, or feel like you just can't get enough rest, take some time off from working out, or do something like gentle yoga or stretching, or walking instead of a high intensity workout. Generally at some point during the first week, people find themselves exhausted no matter what kind of workouts they're doing, but not everyone experiences that, so just pay attention to how you're feeling.

Thank you.  Good advice, all of it.  

I did plan a pre-workout snack of an apple plus a couple of tablespoons of almond butter which I think will be enough carbs, fat and protein to help me through the workout.  And I always carry my water bottle to the gym, drank 20 oz of water the first time and will likely do that again today.  But I'm also listening to my body during the workout and I'm not afraid to stop, slow down or modify if I feel like I need to.  I don't think I'll do another Orange Theory Fitness class until next week so the rest of this week I'll take it easier.  I feel like not exercising hampered my progress and my committment last time and I don't want to make that mistake again. 

Hey guys, I am on Day 3 and so far it is going fine! My only problem is I haven't slept that well the first two nights (although this might be getting back into non-holiday sleeping patterns!), and last night I had the weirdest dreams where I'd be going to a restaurant or eating out somewhere and then accidentally eat something non-compliant like butter it's been cooked in and then be really sad.... so weird! Anyone else stressing out about accidentally messing up??

Yesterday went okay.  I was really hungry all day long.  I think it was because I was back at work and all those goodies were just staring at me!  I was prepared, though. I really enjoyed my almond butter with sliced apples as a snack.  Today I can already tell is better. I added some avocado to my breakfast this morning for some extra fat and I can already tell I feel fuller then I did yesterday morning.  

Sorry if this is TMI, but has anyone had trouble with bowel movements since starting?  I used to be pretty regular and I haven't had one since Sunday. I don't remember this happening with my first round of Whole 30.  Thanks for any input.

Jennifer

Hi guys, this is my fourth or fifth Whole30 (I did a Whole 60 last summer) but I am seriously struggling this time. I woke up on Day 2 extremely sick, unable to keep anything down. I tried to eat an apple because I was shaky and suspected my blood sugar was low and quickly threw it up. I finally managed to get something down by eating a Larabar over 2 hours and drinking a kombucha. I started to get nauseous before dinner and had to eat some more banana to calm it. Last night (today is Day 3), I woke up at 1am with the same low blood sugar feeling. I tried to eat a quarter of a banana and threw that up too. I finally fell asleep by drinking some warm salty water (yum!!). 

I have never struggled so much with these carb withdrawals. I was crying in the middle of the night last night not knowing what to do or if I should continue. I feel so bad! I know it is not the flu because it is not consistent, but I am definitely feeling pretty disheartened. When I can eat paleo meals, my appetite is extremely low and I can't eat very much although I am eating hearty meals like beef stew. 

I guess I don't really have a question but needed to share this. I hope it'll get better, but I could certainly use some encouragement. This sucks!! 

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, phantommeb said:

Hi guys, this is my fourth or fifth Whole30 (I did a Whole 60 last summer) but I am seriously struggling this time. I woke up on Day 2 extremely sick, unable to keep anything down. I tried to eat an apple because I was shaky and suspected my blood sugar was low and quickly threw it up. I finally managed to get something down by eating a Larabar over 2 hours and drinking a kombucha. I started to get nauseous before dinner and had to eat some more banana to calm it. Last night (today is Day 3), I woke up at 1am with the same low blood sugar feeling. I tried to eat a quarter of a banana and threw that up too. I finally fell asleep by drinking some warm salty water (yum!!). 

I have never struggled so much with these carb withdrawals. I was crying in the middle of the night last night not knowing what to do or if I should continue. I feel so bad! I know it is not the flu because it is not consistent, but I am definitely feeling pretty disheartened. When I can eat paleo meals, my appetite is extremely low and I can't eat very much although I am eating hearty meals like beef stew. 

I guess I don't really have a question but needed to share this. I hope it'll get better, but I could certainly use some encouragement. This sucks!! 

Sorry you're sick! Throwing up is not a normal side effect of Whole30. I know you think you don't have the flu but you might want to take it easy on yourself and do what you can to get through this. Nothing about eating protein, vegetables and good fats should cause vomitting/not being able to keep food down. :(

This is my 2nd Whole 30. My first was May 2016, and I learned so much from it. I had no idea that I had a gluten sensitivity, but I do! What a difference it has made to eliminate it! The joint pain that I thought was just aging is gone. Over Christmas I had a little gluten (as in, a bite or two on 3 consecutive days). The joint pain came back, along with general dragginess. My biggest issue is sugar. Once I started allowing myself to have a little, it quickly snowballed into a little after every meal. That's the main thing I need to regain control over.

My first W30 was great. I did reintroductions carefully, and only had serious issues with gluten. I have reduced the dairy substantially, though, along with non-gluten grains and legumes. I just feel better when I'm eating this way. Mel Joulwan's Well Fed cookbooks are fantastic, if anyone is looking for more recipes.

I'm looking forward to this reset. I've been mostly eating this way since last summer, but I was getting sloppy!

35 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

Sorry you're sick! Throwing up is not a normal side effect of Whole30. I know you think you don't have the flu but you might want to take it easy on yourself and do what you can to get through this. Nothing about eating protein, vegetables and good fats should cause vomitting/not being able to keep food down. :(

Hi Ladyshanny, I remember you from previous Whole 30's in this forum! Thanks for the response. I've had incidents in the recent past where I've thrown up after waiting too long to eat, so with all the holiday sugar bingeing I've done and making such a drastic change it seems I'm paying for it now. I think I have a super sensitive stomach...but who knows. I seem to be doing better today so hopefully it ends soon! Sugar is one a hell of a drug. 

Day 4 for me of 3rd W30 and feeling surprisingly good.  I recall feeling low energy the first few rounds as I stopped eating oatmeal, grains and gave up snacking abruptly.  I think the key to avoid hunger and weakness is to eat more at meals than you think you need.  If I eat my "usual" size breakfast, I'm hungry within a few hours.  Adding another egg or including soup from the day before or throwing in some butternut squash has helped satiate me this time.  Just a thought if you're feeling sluggish.

Phantommeb- vomiting definitely sounds like the flu and not detox symptoms.  It's that time of year. 

Hang in there and if you need a tasty and comforting recipe to try  Melissa Hartwig's chicken cacciatore is delish! 

kellygirl 

I feel like I'm just waiting for the ball to drop, haha. On Day 3 and still feeling good. I've slept great the last 2 nights. I have enough prepped I shouldn't really have to do any more heavy lifting in the kitchen until the weekend prepping for next week. I don't specifically meal plan, I like an element of surprise, I just have a bunch of chopped or cooked things in my fridge for meals to be quick.

3 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

I did plan a pre-workout snack of an apple plus a couple of tablespoons of almond butter which I think will be enough carbs, fat and protein to help me through the workout.  And I always carry my water bottle to the gym, drank 20 oz of water the first time and will likely do that again today.  But I'm also listening to my body during the workout and I'm not afraid to stop, slow down or modify if I feel like I need to.  I don't think I'll do another Orange Theory Fitness class until next week so the rest of this week I'll take it easier.  I feel like not exercising hampered my progress and my committment last time and I don't want to make that mistake again. 

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Julzology said:

I did plan a pre-workout snack of an apple plus a couple of tablespoons of almond butter which I think will be enough carbs, fat and protein to help me through the workout. 

For pre workout, you actually don't want carbs. You want protein and fat.

Post workout, you want lean protein and starchy vegetables. 

Fruit isn't ideal for either pre or post. Pre workout, carbs give you quick energy, but don't force your body to learn to use fat for energy instead. Energy from carbs is faster and easier for your body to use, but also gets used up faster, so then you need more to keep going.

Post workout, fruit replenishes liver glycogen instead of muscle glycogen, and after a workout you want to help your muscles recover. Here's an article about what to have post workout and why: http://whole9life.com/2015/02/eat-post-workout/

Also, for whole30 purposes, nuts and seeds are fat sources, not protein.

Growing up as the middle of 5 children, I learned early how to tune things out.  My family used to joke that a bomb could go off and I wouldn't put down my book (I read a lot).  I did a lot of tuning out the chaos that surrounded me.  That skill is both a blessing and a curse.  I sometimes am not as attentive a listener as I'd like to be because I'm in my head and not actively listening.  On the other hand, I have great powers of concentration which can be very helpful at work and otherwise. 

What I've been realizing as I start this Whole30 that one of the things I regularly tune out is my hunger/satiety cues and also other signals my body is giving me.  I'm not really in touch with my stomach or how I feel when I eat food.  I sometimes can't tell the difference between feeling full and feeling empty.  It's like I have tuned out what's going on within my own body.  

It is my intention to use this 30 days to slow down and pay attention while I'm eating.  Pay attention to what I like and what I don't like, pay attention to how foods feel in my body.  If I can practice this now, when day 31 comes and I start re-introduction I'll be prepared to really pay attention to how different food groups affect my body.  I joke with my colleagues, who are all picky eaters, that I'm like a billy goat, I can eat anything and not get sick but maybe that's not really the case.  Maybe I'm just really good at tuning out my body's signals.  

It will be an interesting experiment. 

Archived