Commiting to a December 26th Start Date

jenrunsaustin

Here we go - and putting it out there...  Choosing to do the Whole 30 as I do best when Challenged.  Choose the Whole30 as I have gotten so far off the "eat your vegetables" trail that I wanted something that really emphasized that.  Choosing December 26 as I have a race on January 15 and hopefully will be thru the most of the physical issues of starting this program.  Only a 30km trail race and I always have a race or am training for a race so as good of time as any.  I am 55, run a lot, and don't eat well enough to really support that.  I am looking forward to starting - especially since I found some Spicy Breakfast Sausage to try from Pederson Farms that is Whole 30 compliant!  -Jenny

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@jenrunsaustin I am starting Dec 26 as well.  And I'm an aspiring trail runner - but I'm not running at all right now due to @#$!#@$ plantar fasciitis.  I have tried doing Whole30's while training before.  Be prepared to feel really sluggish for a couple weeks!  By starting now you should be over the worst of the hump for the race.  Run it for fun!

Now to find some time today to do a big veggie lookup in between the holiday festivities...

Hey guys! I am starting today AND I'm a cyclist so super excited to see some other people on here who will be balancing endurance with the W30. jenrunsaustin this isn't my first time and so from experience, do expect to feel like crap for a couple weeks while your body tunes up its fat adaption. What are everyone's goals? I ride during the winter (snow and single digits here) but not going for speed or anything super aggressive so this is a good time for me. My goals: 1) get my body back to burning fat as fuel 2) get my mind/emotions back to finding peace/enjoyment/satisfaction in things that are not food.

Hey @stravajunkie!  I recognize your name from around the forum.  Yay, welcome!  And we're off!

My goals:  get back to the energy, positivity and motivation I feel when I'm eating really well.  Get back to sleep that starts when I hit the pillow, and popping awake feeling rested.  Get back to improved moods and to feeling invincible!  When I'm eating really well on a Whole30, I feel supercharged.  I have had a difficult last several months after getting injured and not being able to run, plus dealing with other life challenges, so I've been basically sucking my thumb and eating badly and drinking too much wine.  I'm bloated, lethargic and depressed.  Time to shake it off and get back on track - that pity party has gone on way too long!

It is a struggle to have to start my running back at zero again, but that's what in the cards.

So, onward!  Yesterday I cooked up a bunch of Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, various other veggies, and I'm about to dig into my favorite Whole30 breakfast:  Meal 1!  Meal 1 for me is generally a compliant sausage, a huge pile of veggies and 1/2 avocado.  

Here's to a great Whole30, gang!

Hi everyone! I started my first whole30 today and also excited!

My goals:

Decrease my IBS symptoms.

Figure out what foods cause my stomach issues, skin breakouts, and headaches. I'm pretty confident it's good related, as all symptoms pop up at once.

Start craving healthy food again, calm my sugar dragon.

Start treating my body well again, get back into some exercise.

Good morning everyone! I tend to do so much better with this program when I'm part of one of these forum groups because the group's energy and ideas pull me through the rough spots...so I will also try to do my part and contribute a few of my own thoughts...for those of you doing this for the first time, one of the most helpful resources is the whole 30 timeline....in terms of knowing what to expect...fyi! I find that if I have a good plan for dinmers over the course of the week (leftovers generally work for lunches and breakfast is pretty unvarying-eggs + veg). This week:

Tuesday = leftover holiday meats + green salad

Wednesday = carne asada 

Thursday = meatballs + marinera sauce and veg

Friday = Chinese meatballs *new recipe 

Saturday  (we host a crazy huge new years party) grilled meat of some sort, sweet potatoes and a variety of nuts... 

Glad you all are doing this  as well.  Thanks @higs and @stravajunkie (can I only tag one person in a post?) for your experience on running/biking and the program!  What do you all eat before a long run, bike etc?

Day one was a success!  Made a great sweet potato has with bacon egg and avocado - Now I just need to find an hour each morning to cook my breakfast - jk - I did make enough for a couple of mornings.  Coconut soup for lunch and a great salad for dinner.

What did I miss most day 1 - gum - yes really gum, I tend to chew it when I am running or stressed as I clench my teeth.

Morning all!

Great reminder, @stravajunkie.  I always find the timeline super helpful.  For me, I know that the first 3-4 days are tough with fatigue, foggy headed-ness and caffeine withdrawal headaches (I personally quit coffee on a Whole30 - not that it's required but I feel much better without it).  Then the fantastic sleep kicks in, and things go up from there.

My arrrrgh moment:  I had requested to my partner to go easy on the chocolate in my Christmas stocking - but he couldn't help himself.  So now there is an enormous bowl of chocolates sitting on the dining room table.  Including good, fancy chocolate.  It is all going to have to end up in a box stashed away somewhere until I give it away or throw it out.  So sad!  Sorry, chocolate!

Another Whole30 tip:  embrace the weekly cook up!  It is a lifesaver for me.  I spend at least a couple hours on the weekend prepping for the week ahead.  And I make double batches of meals that freeze well (chocolate chili!) to have some emergency meals on hand.

Hope all are doing well!

I know I'm a day behind .  I just started today.  I need to prep better especially for morning meals.  The things I missed most today, sweetener in my coffee.  That's not a lot but its going to take a couple days for me to get used to black coffee however I have discovered almond milk which I know did some good.  I love to cook so when I'm at home, dinners won't be a problem for me.  Really looking forward to this 

I started yesterday (12/26)! Was originally planning a Jan 2 start, but have a trip to London coming up in February and I wanted to make sure I had time to complete the reintroduction before we head out of town, so I bumped up my timeline. Waiting for the hangover/withdrawal to hit and dreading it. If any of y'all are interested, I'm blogging about my journey at milestonemakeover.wordpress.com!

I've never really used a forum type thing before, especially for support, so we'll see how this goes. But I'm excited about the whole30!

I'm starting today (12/28)!

I've told myself that I'm going to start Whole 30 so many times but I never properly prepare and ending up failing quickly. I don't have much support from my social group but this is something I need to do for myself. I am so so happy to learn about these forums I am looking forward to get support. 

Happy Wednesday :) How is everyone doing? Bellatrixie, nice blog-you obviously have food prep down! Patferman, I don't understand Portuguese, unfortunately, but welcome anyways ;) today I am really focusing on replacing my long-term habit of something sweet after meals (which translates to massive cravings on the w30) with a cup of tea. It doesn't SOUND good, but once I have it , I enjoy it and it does reduce the Must.Munch.Now feeling...

Feeling pretty good, but hungry.  I need to figure out more to have on hand to eat at work.  I also need to bring a toothbrush to work as coffee without milk (or chocolate) in it seems to make my breath worse!  Still missing gum, I hadn't realized how much I clench my teeth or what ever is making my Jaw feel tired.

Do you all eat at home or work?  I have to be in by 7 (with a 20 minute drive) so I usually just get up and leave and eat breakfast at work.  It was easy when I could just make a bowl of oatmeal.  Any ideas of things I can leave at work to have on hand?  I have access to a small drawer in the fridge at work.  I will make some breakfast in "bulk" but I would like to have some things on hand if I don't get to it.

jenrunsaustin, I'm kind of surprised, usually there are some excellent moderators lurking around here who jump in on these kind of questions but maybe they're occupied with all the new January groups :)

I'm no professional but I'll give it a shot....Are you an egg person? There are tons of whole 30 friendly recipes for various fritatas (sp?) with salmon, spinach, w30 friendly sausage etc. that are made in muffin tins and could be kept in the fridge at work for a quick re-heat. Depending on your taste, whatever you pack for lunch can work for breakfast too-if breakfast foods aren't sacred. There are RX bars that are w30 approved in a pinch, but not recommended as a regular breakfast...

Also, depending on how much you're running, you may not be eating enough...I ride, only run if chased by a carnivore larger than I am, but even for riding (which doesn't present as many gut related issues),  getting used to this VOLUME of food takes some time...

Another random though, as a former fat phobic person, to stay full and turn up your body's fat burning ability, feed it fat. Use lots of olive oil, w30 mayo, ghee, etc. Lean meat and veggies will not keep you full, especially if you're active. 

Hope that helps! 

• Moderators
6 hours ago, jenrunsaustin said:

Feeling pretty good, but hungry.  I need to figure out more to have on hand to eat at work.  I also need to bring a toothbrush to work as coffee without milk (or chocolate) in it seems to make my breath worse!  Still missing gum, I hadn't realized how much I clench my teeth or what ever is making my Jaw feel tired.

Do you all eat at home or work?  I have to be in by 7 (with a 20 minute drive) so I usually just get up and leave and eat breakfast at work.  It was easy when I could just make a bowl of oatmeal.  Any ideas of things I can leave at work to have on hand?  I have access to a small drawer in the fridge at work.  I will make some breakfast in "bulk" but I would like to have some things on hand if I don't get to it.

Anything you'd eat for any other meal works just fine for breakfast. Leftovers are easy. Frittatas, breakfast casseroles, egg muffins are easy to make ahead and take with you. Salmon cakes, burger patties, meatballs, hard boiled eggs, chicken, tuna, salmon. Have these things with various salads, roasted vegetables that you can either reheat or eat cold. Soups could cover your meat and your vegetables if you make them really chunky. Don't forget to add fat to your meals, whatever you have -- avocado, olives, mayo, different sauces or dips. You might also leave things like a can or pouch of tuna or salmon, a small bottle of olive oil and vinegar, some pouches of olives -- with these, if you ever forget your lunch or just find yourself extra hungry one day, you can just those items to tide you over, or you can probably find a plain salad somewhere that you can then add the fish to, dress with the oil & vinegar and have the olives for a full meal.

For the breath, be sure you're drinking plenty of water. You might also try sipping on mint tea after meals to help you feel less self-conscious about the breath.

I sometimes realize I'm clenching my teeth when I'm worried or stressed, and have to make a conscious effort to relax. Mine is not something that happens all the time, but I'm guessing if you set a timer to make yourself stop for a moment and relax every 30 minutes or hour, over time you'd find yourself doing it less, or at least be more conscious of it and better able to make yourself stop before your jaw ended up as tired. You might also talk to your dentist -- if it's happening at night as well, there are mouthguards that can help, and there might be options during the day as well.

Working on Day 3 now and I notice two things right off the bat...  I really do miss sweetener in my coffee, and I get cravings at night now like crazy..  But on the positive note, I did make homemade ketchup last night; because ketchup is important..  lol...  Didn't turn out exactly the way I wanted it to but for a 1st try , it will do nicely..  Going to into New Years Eve, etc, I'm motivated to push though the weekend.    I need to go out and learn how to eat at a restaurant or two this weekend..    Happy New Year everyone!!

Hello gang, I started on 11/21 and I'm continuing on - longtime friend of @higs. Some of my gang is on a bender for the holidays before they jump back on Jan 2 so I thought I'd jump in for a visit!

Coffee has always been a big issue for me on the Whole 30. I juts discovered Nutpods, which is Whole30 compliant. It's almond and coconut milk, and you can get different flavors like french vanilla and hazelnut. While we're not counting calories, it's much lower than the half and half I was using previously.  It's definitely something I can live with long term.

Hope that's a help! Stay strong with the continuing holiday temptations :) 

Thanks for the help on the breakfast ideas.   I think I will make a frittata this weekend.

Yesterday went well, still hungry - but not more hungry then I was before, I have been getting in fats in some nuts and avocado (along with bacon and sausage :P) so maybe just up some quantities.

I haven't had many cravings - only drop to my knees moment was sighting a women driving by with a starbucks glass - flash back to the Pepperment Mochas over the holidays - but it was more a wow that looks really good, not a I have to have it feeling.

I do feel really full after eating my meals, almost makes me feel guilty, but I get over that really fast.

One of the things I have realized is I have a really open floor plan.  The only place I don't see my full kitchen is in my bedroom or bathroom.  I do live alone so right now I only have compliant food, but I do think this may contribute to my thinking about food all the time.

23 hours ago, stravajunkie said:

Happy Wednesday :) How is everyone doing? Bellatrixie, nice blog-you obviously have food prep down! Patferman, I don't understand Portuguese, unfortunately, but welcome anyways ;) today I am really focusing on replacing my long-term habit of something sweet after meals (which translates to massive cravings on the w30) with a cup of tea. It doesn't SOUND good, but once I have it , I enjoy it and it does reduce the Must.Munch.Now feeling...

Wrote uns portuguese searching another brasilians.... But     here we go in english now! Day 4- and all is going all right!!

Archived