Allergic to Coconut and Nuts

keamn

My friend is wanting to do Whole30 with me in January, however is feeling concerned about how to do this with her allergies to nuts and coconut, as well as sensitivity to eggs. 

I rely on eggs, nuts, coconut milk and almond butter for much of my whole30 recipes and snacks. Any recommendations on snacks and meal recipes - especially that get you the fat and non-meat protein?? 

Also, I known it's not compliant, but what are thoughts on using soy milk occasionally, since coconut and almond milk are out for her?

Thanks!!

• Administrators

Soy milk would render her not doing a Whole30, unfortunately. She can eat fish, pork, beef, shellfish, venison, chicken, turkey etc. For fat she could do homemade mayo, avocado, olives, guacamole, ghee, olive oil etc.

We don't eat eggs or nuts and my husband is super sensitive to coconut so I don't use that in cooking either. And we make it work just fine.

For you, just a tip, get out of the mindset of "meals and snacks" and just make meals that keep you going for 4-5 hours. That makes it extra easy not to have to use nuts as snacks. Also, the only real need for the milk substitutes is to stir into your coffee or use as soup or curry bases. You shouldn't be drinking it. 

The nut butter thing has always been a mystery to me. And nuts are a fat and not a protein. I don't use coconut milk either. One can has been a shelf elf for years. I must throw it away.

But I see you want non-meat protein. I  think eating only eggs for 30 days or longer could definitely increase the odds of an egg sensitivity and total burn-out.

The widest variety of foods wins.  

I also eat very few nuts, so I feel like those are easy to leave out. Anytime coconut oil comes up, just use a different cooking fat. I regularly eat cans of olives for a fat source.

There are plenty of soups and stews that would be easy and delicious to make. Meatballs and roasted veggies. Salads with a side of protein. What does your friend eat now? Eat more of the same veggies and meat that they already eat.

Are you actually looking for "non-meat protein?" Or were you considering nuts as a protein source? (They are generally considered more of a fat in this context.)

A quick glance at the whole 30 book (not the cookbook) yields 5/5 of the red meat recipes, 4/5 of the seafood recipes, 3/5 of the pork recipes, and 13/20 side dishes don't have any eggs, nuts, or coconut in them as they are written. Several of the others have cashews or almonds in them that would be easy to leave out.

Thanks! Olives would be a great alternative to nuts for some fat (not considering them a protein).

I'll have her look at the book too, if she hasn't already. It's been a while since I've read it. So many of my go-to recipes include the foods that she can't have, but great point that all she really needs to do is look at what she eats today and modify from that menu rather than introducing all new meal ideas. 

Thanks again!

• 4 months later...

I have complex nut allergies:  peanuts, coconut and tree nuts.  I've only been on the Whole30 diet for a few days, but here's how I handle this:  anytime it says "coconut" I go with avocado (especially oil), or rice (such as rice milk, etc).  Normally, I'd substitute soynut butter but since this diet doesn't allow soy, I go with sunflower butter/sunflower seeds.  For coconut cream required recipes, I've just been putting some baking powder in rice milk to thicken it a little and sometimes I add a few vanilla beans.

Good luck!!

5 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

Any suggestions on alternatives that don't include any form of nuts?

It will depend what you are looking to make.... I can't think of a 'milk' substitute off the top of my head (there is one that I tried years back but it was - IMO - rancid & very sweet, and I'd have to google!), but if we knew what you were thinking of making we might be able to come up with a way....

• Moderators

You don't really need to make anything in the 30 days that needs a milk product... I mean sure, there are recipes that need some sort of creaminess, but if you have these complex allergies and you're really working to find substitutions, why not consider just leaving out these types of recipes? 

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, laura_juggles said:

Flax milk would work, wouldn't it?

It probably would for whatever she's using it for but seed products are encouraged to be limited due to their poor Omega 3-6 ratio... a splash would be fine every other day or so...

Archived