Not getting ther results I had hoped for

LW4good

I do not want to be a Negative Nellie so I'm going to start with the positives. I love eating this way. I love healthy food and this is such a comfortable way of eating for me. I am 3 days away from my 30 days (yes, day 30 is Christmas Day -  wonderful timing). I actually enjoyed spending the Christmas season free from the pull of all the unhealthy foods that are everywhere. So I'm not feeling deprived. I didn't get any of the sugar cravings people were talking about, in fact, my hunger was greatly reduced and I ate a whole lot less than usual. I've been following the program to the T. (Keeping fruit and nuts to a minimum). 3 meals, no snacking.  But, (here's the rub) I haven't felt any reduction in my weight. I have not weighed myself but, my clothes are as tight as ever. This is so discouraging. Historically I have had to drastically reduce my calorie intake to well under 1000 calories to see any results and I was really hoping that reasonable portions of healthy food would show results. I just want to have a healthy normal metabolism. Maybe it's just not in the cards for me.I've dieted for as long as I can remember. I'm not grossly over weight (probably 15lbs)  and I'm in my mid 50's so that might affect things.  I didn't start out feeling horrible. I've always had pretty good energy. I want to continue to eat this way. It's so easy for me, but I also want to see some results as far as weight loss.  I would appreciate any insight. 

• Moderators

If you've spent a lot of time doing that kind of serious calorie restriction, it may take longer than 30 days to really start seeing results. If you're feeling good eating this way, keep going with it. See what happens. Eating lots of vegetables, proteins, and healthy fats is going to make you healthier, and as you get healthier over time, your weight will sort itself out.

7 minutes ago, ShannonM816 said:

Eating lots of vegetables, proteins, and healthy fats is going to make you healthier, and as you get healthier over time, your weight will sort itself out.

That's it!  In a nutshell and not the whole bushel.

Shannon is one of the sweetest and kindest people on this forum and probably the whole planet for that matter.  It's not bragging if it's true.

@LW4good: To add to the excellent advice of Shannon and MeadowLily, you may not need to lose any weight. 

If you want to reshape your body, try weight training. 

And for sure, severe caloric restriction will not lead to sustainable health or sustainable weight loss. It'll just put your body into fear of starvation and you'll hang onto every ounce for dear life.

Nourish your body. When your body knows that you will nourish it, THEN you'll be able to release excess weight  (Sounds woo-woo but it's true.)

27 minutes ago, LW4good said:

Thank you. I will keep believing. It makes sense. I would just love to see results. I may just need less food than most. But I'm definitely going to keep eating this way.

Maybe you are seeing results? not just the ones you had hoped for. Perhaps your body is in a happy place weight-wise already? You mentioned enjoying this way of eating. I heartily encourage you to continue with it. Several of the sources that I've read mention that if you don't feel the magic in the first 30 days, it may still be there waiting for you a few days further along.

Have you looked into starting / changing your exercise routine? Perhaps some strength training to redefine your body shape might help. The number on the scale can be very misleading since it doesn't say anything about health or body composition. (And I'm telling myself this, while I'm saying it to you).

My day 30 is tomorrow and I'm eager to look at the scale but I promise that it will be going back into the closet for another month after I do.

Jill

Yes, I do exercise but have not been keeping up with my routine during the holidays. I'm not fond of the scale either but I will check it out after my 30 days. Congratulations on your Whole 30. It sounds like it has made a difference in your life. That is encouraging.  

I'm in my mid 50's too and menopause changes everything.  I don't lose weight or even maintain as easily as I used to - even with upping my exercise routine.   I did my first whole 30 in 2013 and it was life changing, - don't discount the non-weight related benefits.  I learned that I don't really have IBS.  What I do have is a dairy, gluten sensitivity and soy sensitivity.  It's so nice to have a normal, predictable "constitution" now.  Hope you have lots of NSVs!

9 hours ago, LW4good said:

my hunger was greatly reduced and I ate a whole lot less than usual. I've been following the program to the T.

Have you been following the template portion sizes for protein, fat, and veggies? Even if you're only eating good Whole30 foods, your body won't want to let go of any extra if it seems like there might not be enough coming in. Most people feel like they're eating a lot when they follow the template (I definitely did), and it can be easy to consciously or unconsciously limit your portions if you have old habits of restricting to lose weight. I'm 35, but even in my early 20s I didn't lose weight until I got down to around 1200 calories/day, which made me uncomfortable with the template portions at first (especially fat!). But I did it anyway, and was amazed by how well it worked - I lost over 10 lbs in 45 days and definitely could tell that I got fat adapted.

Archived