Pregnant mamas starting a Whole30 around 1/1

Karen

I'm 23 weeks pregnant. Between morning sickness and food aversions, I'm finally starting to see the light and am able to eat real food more regularly. Unfortunately, the constant junk / holiday food at work has been all too yummy and my body is revolting due to multiple food sensitivities that I've been ignoring. I've done many Whole 30s through the years and know I can do this, and now I have another reason to clean up my act. I'll start sometime around 1/1, though it could be sooner if I get my act together. 

Who is with me?  How far are you, and what's your due date?  When are you starting?

I'm in! This will be my second attempt (I did 12 days last February, but got really sick -unrelated- and quit). I'm ready to go this time! 

Due July 29, so only 10 weeks pregnant... also breastfeeding my 15 month old, so always starving! Will be starting 1/2/17, because I can't imagine starting a new year without black-eyed peas. :)

19 hours ago, Pocobelle said:

I'm in! This will be my second attempt (I did 12 days last February, but got really sick -unrelated- and quit). I'm ready to go this time! 

Due July 29, so only 10 weeks pregnant... also breastfeeding my 15 month old, so always starving! Will be starting 1/2/17, because I can't imagine starting a new year without black-eyed peas. :)

Yay, welcome!  I'm impressed you're attempting this during your first tri!  I'm guessing you're feeling pretty good, but will need an increase in starchy carbs to support all the changes in your body and bf! My hubby and I are going out to eat for NYE and I'll start 1/1.  I switched midwives recently and she's on board with this and emphasised the need for me to do this and be healthy for my little bean.  Just got Well Fed's weeknights cookbook and am excited to use it!

The purge in my house is today. The leftover cookies, pie, hubby's candy, etc. will all go today. 

In the fridge, I have leftover fajitas, a hash ready to make, and leftover standing rib roast and compliant mashed potatoes for a shepherds pie.  I also have some veg and fruit on hand. 1/1, I'll have no excuses!

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Still no baby!  So I'm still on board here as a preggo rather than a new mom :) 

99% W30 since 12/26 (had some cheese samples at the local smokehouse yesterday and probably the few samples of kielbasa weren't compliant either) but besides that squeaky clean this last week!  

Have a good NYE ladies!  I am still hoping to maybe be spending it at the hospital :) 

2 hours ago, littleg said:

Still no baby!  So I'm still on board here as a preggo rather than a new mom :) 

99% W30 since 12/26 (had some cheese samples at the local smokehouse yesterday and probably the few samples of kielbasa weren't compliant either) but besides that squeaky clean this last week!  

Have a good NYE ladies!  I am still hoping to maybe be spending it at the hospital :) 

Nice start! And good luck with your impending delivery!

My in-laws do a big New Years thing every year - it was downsized this year b/c of my due date but since I'm still sporting the bump we went up there.  I totally refrained from the left over Christmas goodies (wasn't even hard, oddly enough).  Did eat some cheese though.  Had a real M1, then snacked on cheese, deli meats and fruit at the party.  Grapes for dinner.  5 dates (supposed to help with cervical ripening) at 9:30 PM when I was too uncomfortable to sleep and hungry.  Not quite a W30 day :) Hoping to be a bit more on track today.

Some cook ups that will happen today:

Usual breakfast frittata.  

Bora Bora Fireballs

Some variety of compliant meatloaf, requiring ketchup

Batch of mayo (I use 1/2 MCT oil, 1/2 avocado oil)

I'd like to join.  We are gearing up to start this week.  I'm 7 weeks right now and in the throws of morning sickness and food aversions.  This is our third pregnancy, so I need ideas of what might help since I know this will last for several more weeks.  I usually rely on things like crackers and white carbs generally in the morning to help tamp down the nausea, but obviously that is out.  Is there anything you've found  that's a fairly reliable way to keep the morning sickness at bay?

5 hours ago, thehousewherecrazylives said:

I'd like to join.  We are gearing up to start this week.  I'm 7 weeks right now and in the throws of morning sickness and food aversions.  This is our third pregnancy, so I need ideas of what might help since I know this will last for several more weeks.  I usually rely on things like crackers and white carbs generally in the morning to help tamp down the nausea, but obviously that is out.  Is there anything you've found  that's a fairly reliable way to keep the morning sickness at bay?

I had an awful time of morning sickness. I'm sure there are things that help, but I didn't want a single one of them. But, logically, I know the need for carbs is huge during the first try. Perhaps some starchy veg might help?

I've also heard magnesium and b6 can help. I tried, but I just had to wait it out. Good luck, and welcome!

Gosh, I couldn't even fathom a W30 the first trimester...  But good for you for wanting to try!  I ate a ton of fruit my first and second trimesters.  I found it digested well, didn't give me reflux, helped with the carb cravings without being... well toast :)

Still no baby on the outside :)  10 days of eating well under my belt now!  Not W30 - cheese, sugar cured meats, things like that.  But NO processed food in 10 days.  Really feeling better too.  Which is nice!  

15 hours ago, Karen said:

I had an awful time of morning sickness. I'm sure there are things that help, but I didn't want a single one of them. But, logically, I know the need for carbs is huge during the first try. Perhaps some starchy veg might help?

I've also heard magnesium and b6 can help. I tried, but I just had to wait it out. Good luck, and welcome!

I'll try the magnesium!  I tried B6 the first  time, and it didn't help a ton, but I was having twins and Zofran was really the only thing that touched the morning sickness that time, so I should probably try it again.  I was thinking maybe something like sweet or white potatoes might help.  I felt relatively good this morning, so I had a smoothie with fruit, greens, and almond butter.  It didn't make me queasy, so I'll keep that in my rotation.  

39 minutes ago, littleg said:

Gosh, I couldn't even fathom a W30 the first trimester...  But good for you for wanting to try!  I ate a ton of fruit my first and second trimesters.  I found it digested well, didn't give me reflux, helped with the carb cravings without being... well toast :)

Still no baby on the outside :)  10 days of eating well under my belt now!  Not W30 - cheese, sugar cured meats, things like that.  But NO processed food in 10 days.  Really feeling better too.  Which is nice!  

Well, I'm prepared to give myself a lot of grace and if I have to go Whole 30-ish instead of strict Whole 30, I'll do it and not worry about it.  I just still have baby weight from my previous kiddos and I'm heavier than I should be, so while I obviously won't try to lose weight this pregnancy, I would reeeeeaaally like to try to focus on just eating good whole foods.  Hopefully, that will keep my weight gain to a minimum and set me up for better post-partum habits, which has really kicked my behind in the past.  Hope you have an outside baby soon!  Those last few days/weeks are so hard!

18 minutes ago, thehousewherecrazylives said:

Well, I'm prepared to give myself a lot of grace and if I have to go Whole 30-ish instead of strict Whole 30, I'll do it and not worry about it.

I'm glad to see this.  I feel like trying to do a W30 early in pregnancy is just setting yourself up for failure.  I mean could some women do it... maybe, but I bet most can't.  I'd just hate to see a woman beat herself up for eating foods that make her feel better... There was a thread about this a few weeks ago and I still stand behind what I said.  Eat as W30 as you can when you can.  I firmly believe that W30 eating is the best way to feed a body - especially one growing another body :) But when you are throwing up all day... geez, cut yourself some slack and eat some saltines if you need to!  

And I hope I have an outside baby soon too!  

23 hours ago, littleg said:

Feeling better is nice!  I can only think that'll help you during labor and after. 

So happy to find this thread! My husband and FIL are doing a whole30 together and I am trying to eat as close to whole30 as I can, but not doing an official whole30. This is my husband's third whole30, I did the first two with him, and my FIL's first. We ate mostly compliant until we started renovating our house this summer and were both ready for a reset. So far my non-compliant food has mostly been things like eating actual ketchup and putting goat cheese on my omelets to help get them down, but yesterday I also had two sodas and an ice cream :-/ I do not do well when I'm really sleepy, it's definitely something I have to watch out for. I think being able to talk to you guys and read what you're eating will help me stay on track. I'm 27 weeks (due 4/5), but my cervix has started to shorten and I may go into labor before too long... hoping our little one stays put until at least the end of February! 

On 1/3/2017 at 1:03 PM, thehousewherecrazylives said:

I never did figure out a way to keep morning sickness away... but I did discover that (most of the time) I could get smoothies down. Drinking just was better than eating, and fresh fruit/veggie smells didn't make me sick. What I could eat changed day-to-day and sometimes meal-to-meal, and the only thing that made it better was time.

I'm also glad you're being easy on yourself. Just getting food down and keeping it there is a victory! If it gets bad enough that the only things you can eat are not compliant don't beat yourself up :) it won't last forever and you can get back on track when you're feeling good again. 

On 1/3/2017 at 1:03 PM, thehousewherecrazylives said:

I never did figure out a way to keep morning sickness away... but I did discover that (most of the time) I could get smoothies down. Drinking just was better than eating, and fresh fruit/veggie smells didn't make me sick. What I could eat changed day-to-day and sometimes meal-to-meal, and the only thing that made it better was time.

I'm also glad you're being easy on yourself. Just getting food down and keeping it there is a victory! If it gets bad enough that the only things you can eat are not compliant don't beat yourself up :) it won't last forever and you can get back on track when you're feeling good again. 

Checking in!  Day 8 for me. 

I'm doing OK. This isn't a perfect whole 30 for me, but I'm eating a hell of a lot better than I was. Some meals haven't had protein/ veg/ fat due to work travel and poor planning, but I've made do.  My goal for today is to meal plan and prep for the week. Having a bare fridge has been tough.  I've had some nauseous moments still but no puking in maybe 2 weeks, so I'm grateful. Ground beef just doesn't sound good yet. 

How's everyone else doing?

Archived