Januray 2 Repeat for November "Graduates"

Jmb369

@IronGirlTrixie @Anetters @britgirl @liv.88 @Mallorca @NatalieCatalie_ @marierose13 

Several of us who completed the November Whole 30 are planning to band together and do a repeat, beginning January 2. Anyone who has already done at least one Whole 30 (ever) is welcome to join us. We are particularly focused on re-establishing healthy eating habits and planning carefully for the reintroduction phase. 

Hi - I'll join you if that's OK. I did a Whole30 (my first) back in May, and am friends with @britgirl:)

Currently in planning mode - have bought my own copy of the Whole30 book, and also have Nom Nom Paleo and Well Fed cookbooks. Am ordering a big box of Nakd bars and some light olive oil to start making mayo. Am gearing up  - yesterday tried to eat dried fruit and nuts as Christmas snacks, rather than chocolate, and lunch today was veg fried in ghee with spices, mayo and a couple of slices of bacon.

My main aim this time round it to widen it out so husband and children are also joining in (by stealth, as I cook nearly all the meals!). Also want to do better when it's over, as am pretty much back to eating "normally" since my last go. 

Looking forward to it! Clare x

Welcome, Clare. I did my first Whole 30 in July and my second in November. This will be my third! Maybe the third time will be the charm! I am also doing the "Go To Bed" challenge, starting January 1. I am convinced that eating clean and sleeping well go hand in hand, and doing them simultaneously will help me succeed at both.

I cook most of our meals, too, although I will sometimes add beans or grains to my husband's meals, but not to mine. The interesting fact is that he has lost about seven pounds in six months, and I have lost none! My guess is that I have some autoimmune issues and he does not! Fortunately for me, he does not have a sweet tooth, and he also does not snack between meals, so that makes it easier for me to be compliant.

Let me know how you like the Well Fed cookbook. I cook almost exclusively from the Whole 30 book and from Paleo Mom's Healthy Kitchen. I have NomNom Paleo, but I don't use it as often as the other two.

Well, it's Whole 30 prep. day for me. I wrote out my menus for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of next week, and I am working hard to detox my body enough so I won't be miserable next week. I had a massage yesterday, and I am trying to drink extra water and eat fresh greens every day.

Thursday was a bad day for me. Wednesday at our Christmas open house, I ate 3-5 crackers, a couple of slices of French baguette, and a piece of stollen. I also had liver pate, goat cheese, and some organic sausages. No alcohol, but i woke up Thursday with a terrible headache and yesterday with aching joints. No, eating gluten/wheat was not worth it. Today I seem to be coming out of the fog!

I am definitely stepping outside of myself to observe my food reactions, and I am documenting what I a learning. This approach, which I got from reading Food Freedom Forever. works for me. I can treat these experiences as ongoing research, rather than indulgences. And you can be sure, I am not apt to repeat the experiences anytime soon.

What is everyone else doing to prepare for Monday?

"What is everyone else doing to prepare for Monday?" 

Honestly??? Eating anything made from sugar or carbs that's not nailed down, feeling v ill and achy, vowing to stop then doing it all over again. Maybe that was a little too honest! 

Had friends over this eve then I've just packed up the rest of the mince pies, Christmas biscuits and stollen to go to church. I'm really ready to get back to real food and cross I've been so self-indulgent in Dec. 

Really like the stepping outside of myself idea. Is the book good?

And Happy New Year all!

Hi, I've done two Whole30s, the last one being a year ago. I'd love to join your group! I want to recommit to clean eating, and I know eliminating dairy, grains and refined sugars makes such a huge difference in how I feel. I have been prepping by going back through ISWF and grocery shopping. One thing I am noticing is a lot more compliant items than I remember, or at least them being more easily accessible now. :)

One thing I worry about is that my family (husband and 2 tween/teens) are not at all interested in paleo eating, let alone a Whole30, so I am doing this thing on my own (again). I've done it before and can do it again, but when I'm committed and 'gung ho' and the rest of the family is chowing down on processed foods it can be hard. Not b/c I want the processed foods, but b/c I know what the consumption of said processed foods is doing to them and I wish they weren't eating them.

But, I am very excited to get started and plan to begin on Jan. 2...looking forward to a healthy reset and then continuing it past the reintroduction phase this time!

@SarahMarch, besides the Whole 30 book, which has lots of family friendly recipes, I highly recommend the cookbook, Healthy Kitchen by Sarah Ballantyne (Paleo Mom). It is very family friendly. I no longer have kids at home, but I've found that my husband has come to enjoy a lot of the recipes I make out of those two cookbooks. I often supplement by adding grains and other noncompliant foods to his meals ( like I might make him corn on the cob, and I don't eat it, or give him toast for breakfast.)  I admit that at times it's tough to turn away from those foods, and it's definitely hard to watch him eat foods that aren't healthy. I truly believe that the best way I can influence him in the long run is for him to experience a happier, healthier "me." It's a very indirect approach, but ultimately, I think it will lead him to change.

By the way, @womaninshoe also joined the group, and she has a husband and kids, as do several others. I think you'll find lots of support here.

Hi @SarahMarch I have a house full too and do best when I talk to the forum and keep mostly quiet  at home. So we all have a compliment (tho I don't shout about that) meal in the eve (it's just normal food after all but does take more planning and a bit more concentration) but I might do e.g. Gravy for them with a roast chicken and veg and I just have mayo. or bolognaise sauce on baked pots/sweet pots instead of pasta for us all. Or curry on rice for rhem and buttered cabbage for me.  Last time I made them all sweet pot and c*ugett@ (don't ever let that get out!!) spaghetti fried in ghee without so much as a murmur. Miraculous! 

Am about to make ghee and swap the baking stuff for the slow cooker. I'm expecting a terrible crash this time after so much xmas rubbish ( @Jmb369 your bad days look stellar to me, I'm in awe!) so please be really nice to me even tho it was all self inflicted!

and note to self - keep a food diary so next time through I have a ready made menu plan. 

Eggs - here we come. Oh my. 

Hey! Here I am!

I have to say I was considering not joining... I told myself "you can do mostly paleo this January, with the foods you know do no harm (rice, very little dairy...). But I'm definitely not  moderator type, and tend to go overboard with the "just this once" excuse. And, what the ***, I want to look damned good this summer. Goodbye bloating!

I think I will also spend some time this month looking at the quantities, and checking if Myfitnesspal can help in tracking food, without conditioning my choices in ingredients and portion sizes. The first time I thought I was eating a lot, and I want to check exactly how much it is, since obviously it was a good amount (I felt full, and lost fat). And also carb/fat/protein ratios, to see what is better for me.

@SarahMarch you better make your meal damn good looking so that your family feels envious of your food! This is the best way to have people approach the style with no convincing at all. The food speaks for itself ;)

Happy new year! We're all off to the best start!

I'm starting today. Did grocery shopping and fridge clean our yesterday. Cleared my schedule to do food prep today. Making a two soups and a meal I can freeze along with veggie prep for a few meals this week. I'm also printing out a check list/symptom tracker/food entry journal to keep on my nightstand. Whoo, guess I better go get on it! 

Happy New Year, Everybody!

I am so excited to have found this thread! I'm about to begin my third Whole30 tomorrow (Jan 2nd) and completed my second about a week before this past Thanksgiving. I've never been able to get myself to jump into any of the online support groups/forums but have wanted to both times. Looking at the title of this one I'm hoping that I can join in with you guys on this next round. It would be great to be able to chat with people on similar journeys in real time as the month progresses!

~jaqs

Hi, I did a very successful whole30 in November and am cross with myself for undoing so much of the good work during December! I realised that I don't even like alcohol that much, yet have ended up joining my friends and family for drinks during the festive season. I think the end of a whole 30 and reintroduction is the hardest part for me and I need to give it a lot more thought this time round.

Good luck everyone!

6 hours ago, Nurse Tiffany said:

How do I join the group? 

@Nurse Tiffany Basically, you simply show up and post. That's all. I find that the easiest way is to check the green box at the bottom of a comment that says "notify me of replies." This way when anyone posts, you will receive an email from Whole 30. it will give the text of the message and a link that says "Go to This Post."  If you forget that, you can simply go to the home page and then Start here...Join the Whole 30...January 2 Repeat for November Graduates. That's us!

6 hours ago, Jaqson said:

Happy New Year, Everybody!

I am so excited to have found this thread! I'm about to begin my third Whole30 tomorrow (Jan 2nd) and completed my second about a week before this past Thanksgiving. I've never been able to get myself to jump into any of the online support groups/forums but have wanted to both times. Looking at the title of this one I'm hoping that I can join in with you guys on this next round. It would be great to be able to chat with people on similar journeys in real time as the month progresses!

~jaqs

@Jaqson This is my third one, too. I did one in July and one for the month of November. I think we are a mix of some of the people who did the November Whole 30 together and other people like you who are doing a repeat. I've read Food Freedom Forever, and I suspect I will be repeating this as many times as it takes.

It can be easier to do the total elimination of a Whole 30 than careful reintroduction, but that is my long term goal. I will do a strict Whole 30 in January, but I already know that in February I can probably eat barley, but not wheat, and goat cheese, but not cheddar. I also know that anything sweet is 100% addictive for me.

@britgirl I just finished up the last of the stollen this afternoon, then made gluten free cornbread for dinner to go with a crockpot stew! I have a feeling the first few days will be very difficult this time. But I know that in another week or two, I will feel quite wonderful!

10 hours ago, Mallorca said:

Hey! Here I am!

I have to say I was considering not joining... I told myself "you can do mostly paleo this January, with the foods you know do no harm (rice, very little dairy...). But I'm definitely not  moderator type, and tend to go overboard with the "just this once" excuse. And, what the ***, I want to look damned good this summer. Goodbye bloating!

I think I will also spend some time this month looking at the quantities, and checking if Myfitnesspal can help in tracking food, without conditioning my choices in ingredients and portion sizes. The first time I thought I was eating a lot, and I want to check exactly how much it is, since obviously it was a good amount (I felt full, and lost fat). And also carb/fat/protein ratios, to see what is better for me.

@SarahMarch you better make your meal damn good looking so that your family feels envious of your food! This is the best way to have people approach the style with no convincing at all. The food speaks for itself ;)

Happy new year! We're all off to the best start!

@Mallorca I track on Spark People for the same reason, and what I've learned is that if I want to remove weight and have a leaner body, I need to cut down on how much fat I am eating (fewer nuts?!). It also helps me to track fiber, which is essential if I am going to avoid constipation. 

On 12/26/2016 at 10:40 AM, Jmb369 said:

@IronGirlTrixie @Anetters @britgirl @liv.88 @Mallorca @NatalieCatalie_ @marierose13 

Several of us who completed the November Whole 30 are planning to band together and do a repeat, beginning January 2. Anyone who has already done at least one Whole 30 (ever) is welcome to join us. We are particularly focused on re-establishing healthy eating habits and planning carefully for the reintroduction phase. 

Happy New Year!!! I ate and drank everything in site these last couple of days like it was my last meal. I'm so ready to start round 2 and the funny part is so is my husband although he was never 100% compliant in Nov he said he just felt better and enjoyed the healthier meals. 

Tomorrow is shopping and cooking day so that I start on the right foot. The first two weeks in November we cooked enough for lunch and  few dinners on Sunday but the second two weeks we didn't and it was hard. Planning on making my line easier round 2 especially with a 5 year old and a 2 year old. 

Day 1 of this Whole 30 is drawing to a close, and I'm feeling neutral -- not great, not bad. I'm a little tired, but that has more to do with a neighbor's NYE party that kept me from getting enough sleep and the fact that I did not drink enough water today! I hope my brain is not too foggy tomorrow, as it's my first day for teaching yoga. I'd planned to practice the full class this afternoon, and I did not allocate enough time to do it, so I will have to get up extra early to run through it. Class is at 9:15.

My food plan for today was good, although I wandered into the pantry about 4:00 p.m. I ended up eating a spoonful of homemade almond butter. Not the best choice, but not the worst either!

On to Day #2!

Last night was a long night of no sleep and having that feeling I might be getting a cold. I felt this way with round 1 so I hope it's just my body getting rid of the sugar and hopefully going to the gym today will sweat it out. It's going to be a long day. 

May I join?  My first Whole 30 ended this past August.  I've had moments of food freedom and then many moments of "why am I eating this?!" since.  I was like you, @Mallorca and hoping to be "mostly paleo" in January but, I don't know, I guess I feel up for the challenge and here I am, Day 2. 

@Jmb369 I like how you described feeling "neutral" and I can definitely relate.  I like neutral!  The excitement/anxiety/angst of my last whole 30 was a lot less fun than than neutral feels today!

I'm glad to have the forum this time.  One goal I have is to NOT speak of the Whole30 outside this forum.  It takes away from my quiet purpose and I found that, as the book says, "leading by quiet example" was powerful for me.  My husband gets so agitated about the IDEA of any elimination diet.  He loves my Whole30 cooking, though!!

But it's lonely not talking about the process so I'm glad this group is here for that. 

4 hours ago, Nira81 said:

@Mallorca

@Jmb369

My husband gets so agitated about the IDEA of any elimination diet.  He loves my Whole30 cooking, though!!

But it's lonely not talking about the process so I'm glad this group is here for that. 

My husband breaks into a belly laugh when I tell him I am doing a Whole30, because I have faltered too many times in the past.  So, I don't mention it.

Happy Day 2, Friends!

During my first round I was temporarily living with my parents so my mother was able to help cook for us, grocery shop, etc. but I have since moved back home and live alone. So this round I will be on my own for meal planning, shopping, and resisting temptation. I work full time so I'm really going to have to manage my time and plan for meals, quick breakfasts, and packable lunches. I'm up for the challenge.

Believe it or not, I STILL have not gotten treatment for my sleep apnea. My sleep study got pushed back three times. I was eventually denied the in-house study by my insurance and finally given an at-home test. I will discuss the results with my doctor on Jan 16. (The earliest he had available!) I definitely feel like the daytime sleepiness has gotten a lot worse so hopefully Whole30 can help with that a bit.

@Nira81 good! I kinda want to make this my new normal.

Today has been quite normal for me... no funny feelings. I woke up earlier and well rested though, that's a good sign!

@Jmb369 good to know! My biggest suspects are empty carbs. No problem with fat.

let's keep going! Day 2 is checked :D (for us Spanish girls at least)

Pre-dawn on Day 4! Both Tuesday and yesterday I woke up hungry, but not today. And yesterday was definitely in "kill all things" mode! I hope that has passed. I don't like myself when I am in that state of mind!

one new strategy fir me is no fruit fir breakfast. I want to see if that reduces my sugar cravings later in the day. Twice this week I ended up eating a date or two around four. The other day I had an apple and almond butter. I think part of the problem is that if I am up at five, like today, I seem to need four meals, instead if three.  Dinner is usually at 7, 

my other strategy is eating at least two vegetables, and preferably three, at lunch and dinner. Plus we are definitely "eating the rainbow." Last night we had ground lamb and red cabbage with a side of baked butternut squash. Tonight I'm planning meat loaf, baked potatoes, steamed Swiss chard, and the rest if the baked squash.

biggest challenge today will be lunch. I am going on a shopping excursion with two friends into Guadalajara. The mall where we will spend most of our time is home to Chili's and a Food Court.  I'll take a hard boiled egg and some nuts to snack on, but getting enough protein at lunch will be problematical. I'm thinking I might have to have some soup when I get home.

I definitely think the changes are less dramatic this time. My body is not in a state of shock, and neither is my mind!

5 hours ago, Jmb369 said:

I definitely think the changes are less dramatic this time. My body is not in a state of shock, and neither is my mind!

I am also experiencing this. If anything, I'm actually feeling better because I know that despite a little hump I'll have to get over in the first week, I'll start feeling better very soon. 

I'm already reaping one of the rewards of going sugar free: clear skin! I looked in the mirror this morning and I was like "whoa!":D

Archived