2nd whole 30 January 2

JenHZ

Outofsardines  there is a trouble shooting forum and I think a medical conditions forum where you might get a better answer to your question. 

v beckam do you have some compliant broth?  very thin carrot slices or slivers are good  in soup for me when I'm sick.  I also love peppers sauted with garlic but that makes my spouse gag.

ktaylor tiger blood is  sort of lots of energy as I understand ti.  probably another good thing to search on the website.

step 1 done

1 hour till I leave for meeting.  lunch is next

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, JenHZ said:

Outofsardines  there is a trouble shooting forum and I think a medical conditions forum where you might get a better answer to your question. 

v beckam do you have some compliant broth?  very thin carrot slices or slivers are good  in soup for me when I'm sick.  I also love peppers sauted with garlic but that makes my spouse gag.

ktaylor tiger blood is  sort of lots of energy as I understand ti.  probably another good thing to search on the website.

step 1 done

1 hour till I leave for meeting.  lunch is next

I don't but need to make some! All we have is 3 ox tails is that enough to make broth? Recipe says 3-4lbs :[ if not I'll just buy some omw home lol any specific brands You'd suggest?

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, V.beckham55 said:

I don't but need to make some! All we have is 3 ox tails is that enough to make broth? Recipe says 3-4lbs :[ if not I'll just buy some omw home lol any specific brands You'd suggest?

If you don't have quite enough ox tails for the recipe, you can either reduce the amount of water you use, or use the same amount of water but end up with a weaker broth. 

Hello everyone, I am Zuzana and this is my first Whole30,

I hope that this program will improve my skin, so I can say: "Goodbye make-up forever!" I have been using it for a decade.

My boyfriend is so great that he decided to join too (after I told him Jared´s story). 

Let´s do it! ;)

Hi I wanted to jump in...  I too started yesterday for the second time.  My first was successful, but I did not do a proper reintroduction and my christmas my food was a free for all!  So here I am again.   My husband won't be joining me, (he quit last time after a week) but he will eat what I cook and not bring junk into the house.  So I have that for support.

I also have a special needs child, but she doesn't live with me. (she is 26!)  She comes home every Wed for dinner, and every other weekend, and she loves her sweets.  I just have to be mindful when she is here because she always wants me to try what she is eating!

Some successes from last time - No blood sugar crashes, skin issues (rashes) cleared up, digestive problems gone. 

What I will do different this time - I am posting a daily journal, plan to be active in this community, and will do a real re-introduction.  I subscribed to the whole30 daily, and bought a RealPlans Whole30 subscription.  

Look forward to reading more!

Hi browneyedsusan  my kid is 18

welcome Zuzana

set back yesterday. grabbed the wrong Lara bar and ate half before I realized it was an old one with chocolate chips and sugar.  I am really  going for more of a whole 25  just until the 27th. then we will be traveling on a stressful trip and will not stop to check oils and such.  will certainly be trying not to  eat anything that will give us digestive issues but some stuff will be not W30

today I took a header down my front steps when I tripped on a shoelace.  banged my knee hard so won't be exercising vigorously

8 hours ago, JenHZ said:

set back yesterday. grabbed the wrong Lara bar and ate half before I realized it was an old one with chocolate chips and sugar.  I am really  going for more of a whole 25  just until the 27th. then we will be traveling on a stressful trip and will not stop to check oils and such.  will certainly be trying not to  eat anything that will give us digestive issues but some stuff will be not W30

today I took a header down my front steps when I tripped on a shoelace.  banged my knee hard so won't be exercising vigorously

JenHZ!  So sorry to hear about your setback as well as your accident!  When it rains it pours.  I hope that today was better for you and I hope that you are pushing through despite all of this!  You deserve it :)

On Tuesday, January 03, 2017 at 8:06 AM, outofsardines said:

Hello, folks.  Need some help:  Yesterday was my first day on my first W30.  I'm T2 diabetic (well controlled), and at bedtime my blood sugar was 84--way too low.  Problem was, I couldn't bring it back up again eating Whole30.  Dinner was roast chicken with leeks (recipe from Whole30 cookbook) with green beans and broccoli slaw.  Later I was eating lots of the broccoli slaw salad (has raisins in it), but it didn't help enough.  I finally had a tiny bit of cereal with milk, and that did the trick.

Any suggestions to prevent this happening again?  This worries me.

Hi. I'm sorry to hear about your frustration.... the best way to get carbs on whole30 is root vegetables and squash. Yea, I don't think broccoli would help much in a bad blood sugar low. So add sweet potatoes, yams, beets, cooked carrots, parsnips, butternut squash and other orange squash.  Even fruit if eaten along with protein and fat.  I've been adding a few strawberry to turkey  salad,  even orange sections to soup! Be careful to not go overboard in that direction tho and get too much.  You'll probably have to do more experimenting and use more care than some of the rest of us but in the long run getting off grains and processed foods is likely to balance those sugar swings.   Of course I'm not a doctor and I don't know you, so do whatever you need to take care of yourself, but hope that helped.  

Dorktacular I did need a nap this afternoon. 

took stuff to eat after my meeting but not planned enough and didn't have protein so ate an Epic bar

forgot to crock pot for tonight so it will be sausage for supper

I am kind of in awe  of people who can just cook a bunch of plain protein,  veg and starch on week and  then mix and match for week.  I tend to look at plain cooked food in fridge and think "this is boring , I don't' want any of it, the doesn't go together,  this would be a good night to go out"  maybe I should think of planned meals that use a lot of the same ingredient and just prep that ingredient.

48 minutes ago, JenHZ said:

I am kind of in awe  of people who can just cook a bunch of plain protein,  veg and starch on week and  then mix and match for week.  I tend to look at plain cooked food in fridge and think "this is boring , I don't' want any of it, the doesn't go together,  this would be a good night to go out"  maybe I should think of planned meals that use a lot of the same ingredient and just prep that ingredient.

JenHZ, I have to admit that I get bored with that after a while even though convenience makes meals easier for me.  My husband and I prepped a couple of protein options to use throughout the week and by now I'm looking for ways to make it more interesting.  Except for breakfast, I could eat the same breakfast every day, but dinner is where I really get punchy.  I find that having different sauces really helps - hot sauce, Whole30 chipotle mayo, Whole30 pesto, etc. adds a new flavor without having to make a new dish each time.  

1 hour ago, V.beckham55 said:

Yall...we had to stop whole 30. I had strep throat and I just couldn't taste or swallow anything hubs didn't feel good either so we said we'd start again Monday of we feel better lol. What a way to bring in the new year!

Hmm, that makes me wonder if I could figure out a liquid version of Whole30 hehehe

This week I had some really great victories-  

I stopped drinking Coke and weaned myself  off the holiday sugar

I made 2 batches of bone stock, soup base, ghee, and mayo  

I froze a bunch of meat in portion sizes

I celebrated my birthday without cake and ice cream, or even the scrumptious sounding "low sugar" creamcheese dessert my mom wanted to make me.  (I talked her out of it)

I walked several miles in (In 20 F weather)

I made warming stations for our resident hummingbirds. 

I created a filing system for keeping track of upcoming projects as part of a new year's resolution to be more organized. 

But I was not 100% whole 30 compliant.  So I will count this week as a warm up and start again soon.  

Congratulations to everyone who's still going . Keep up the good work. 

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, V.beckham55 said:

So I have a question, to make the perfect sausage do I need sage? I don't have it in my huge spice rack [lots of tyme though lol] do I need it or can I use a diffrent spice? Never made my own Breakfast sausage before. Thanks yall!

To me, sage is important -- it's what makes it more breakfast sausage than other sausage. But honestly, you can season it any way you want -- if you don't mind that it's not going to taste like Owen's or Jimmy Dean or whatever your normal breakfast sausage tastes like. You could try leaving out the sage and maybe increasing the other seasonings a little -- mix it up, and cook just a little bit, like a small patty, to taste -- if you like it, great, if you feel like something is missing, you could go get sage at that point to add to it or try something else.

Or you could go a totally different direction -- look for italian sausage seasonings if you like that, or look at the different meatball recipes on Mel Joulwan's site and use seasonings from one of them to get a totally different flavor.

7 minutes ago, ShannonM816 said:

To me, sage is important -- it's what makes it more breakfast sausage than other sausage. But honestly, you can season it any way you want -- if you don't mind that it's not going to taste like Owen's or Jimmy Dean or whatever your normal breakfast sausage tastes like. You could try leaving out the sage and maybe increasing the other seasonings a little -- mix it up, and cook just a little bit, like a small patty, to taste -- if you like it, great, if you feel like something is missing, you could go get sage at that point to add to it or try something else.

Or you could go a totally different direction -- look for italian sausage seasonings if you like that, or look at the different meatball recipes on Mel Joulwan's site and use seasonings from one of them to get a totally different flavor.

Woot thanks! I'll try it we restart our whole 30 2marrow yay

If you have poultry seasoning mix it probably has sage in it.  can't really taste raw sausage as you are making it but is should smell good.

Casey I am sure next week will be great

kirkor w30 seems pretty anti smoothie but it could work for when you are sick.

had a bad headache Friday and didn't follow template but stayed compliant.  did forget and say blessing for bread even though I wasn't going to eat any. 

Saturday went to movie at lunchtime and ate my Epic bar while those around me had other snacks.

Today have to grocery shop.  going to make a chicken veggie has for breakfasts this week.

On 1/7/2017 at 10:33 PM, CaseyP said:

This week I had some really great victories-  

I stopped drinking Coke and weaned myself  off the holiday sugar

I made 2 batches of bone stock, soup base, ghee, and mayo  

I froze a bunch of meat in portion sizes

I celebrated my birthday without cake and ice cream, or even the scrumptious sounding "low sugar" creamcheese dessert my mom wanted to make me.  (I talked her out of it)

I walked several miles in (In 20 F weather)

I made warming stations for our resident hummingbirds. 

I created a filing system for keeping track of upcoming projects as part of a new year's resolution to be more organized. 

But I was not 100% whole 30 compliant.  So I will count this week as a warm up and start again soon.  

Congratulations to everyone who's still going . Keep up the good work. 

Wow!  You accomplished so much this week!  I am particularly impressed about how you celebrated your birthday as well as how active you were in different areas of your life.  Excellent!

Hey 1 week down WTG!

chicken has is very tasty but not really hash like.  too wet and doesn't stick together even when refried

going to make  salmon cakes for whole30 cookbook with more  sweet potato.  they crumbled on me the first time.  I want them for post workout  food.  also planning to sear a flank steak  and maybe  make some meat loaf or  meatballs.

Going to Nia dance class for first time this year. still have bruise on 1 shoulder so will concentrate on legs.

Hope everyone has a great week 2, remember stick it out past day 10

now the less great parts

dspouse is not being compliant at work but he needs this reset a little less than I do

we are having trouble remembering to defrost stuff for dinner the night before

there are so many dishes to wash!

1 hour ago, JenHZ said:

now the less great parts

dspouse is not being compliant at work but he needs this reset a little less than I do

Omg yes! Why so many dishes!? Geez planning is the hard part for me -_- I hope dh is compliant at work. He smokes cigarettes occasionally  [uuses ecig the rest of the time so I told him he couldn't use anything but the ecig and no alcohol let's hope he does it. He needs this reset more than me he has tummy trouble :/

8 hours ago, JenHZ said:

now the less great parts

Dishes!  I forgot how many dishes I go through on Whole30!  And now with the husband it's doubled.  Thank god we have a dishwasher or we'd be getting a divorce.  

We both have been compliant so far, but my husband is worried about what will happen when he goes back to work next week (he's been off due to school vacation).  He doesn't have a good history with packing his own lunch - he'll either buy or go without eating until dinner, which is unthinkable to me!  So we'll have to do some extra meal prep next weekend so he is prepared.

I also did my first workout in a couple of months today.  I have been really slacking on going to the gym since September and last week I had so little energy and motivation.  That coupled with the knowledge that the gym will be packed because it's the new year has kept me from going.  But, I brought out my Wii and hopped back onto my old Wii Fit profile and started a 30 day fitness challenge program in the game.  It kicked my butt in a great way and it was good to see how much progress I have made since I last did it three years ago.

Archived