What's the difference?

JoelMB33

Hello Whole30 forum!!

I am on day 17 of my first Whole30 and it's going exceptionally well! It was a great decision to start and stick to this program as I am feeling 110% everyday!!

I DO have one question that I have not been able to articulate to my health concious friends ...

What is the difference between the Whole30 diet and the Paleo diet?? To me, they seem identical with the exception of the phycological aspect ...

Thanks in advance!

Joel

Whole30 is a branded program, "paleo" is not. All the Paleo folks need to carve out their own niche in the Paleo market. In my opinion, (and this isn't the official Whole9 word on this either...just my own observation) Whole9's done that by using their intro program to really focus on the psychological effects of food and food habits. Taking the time to not just make good choices, but learn new and healthier habits. I think this prepares folks better for the "after" part of this whole thing.

I think also a way to explain it is that is a 30 day reset... which is more strict and limited for the duration of the program where as "paleo" could be considered a lifestyle...meaning you could include honey, stevia, butter, cream and approved ingredient desserts/treats in your own "paleo" style program and these are absolutely not allowed on W30.

• Moderators

The Paleo diet allows some foods that the Whole30 excludes, so you have to pay attention to the Whole30 guidelines. For example, white potatoes and honey are Paleo, but not part of the Whole30 plan.

The Whole30 is meant to be a reset and a training program of limited duration. Not even the Hartwigs eat Whole30-compliant all the time. The idea is to learn to eat in a healthy fashion and to figure out how off-plan foods affect you, so you can make wise decisions about what you eat and don't eat.

The Paleo diet allows some foods that the Whole30 excludes, so you have to pay attention to the Whole30 guidelines. For example, white potatoes and honey are Paleo, but not part of the Whole30 plan.

The Whole30 is meant to be a reset and a training program of limited duration. Not even the Hartwigs eat Whole30-compliant all the time. The idea is to learn to eat in a healthy fashion and to figure out how off-plan foods affect you, so you can make wise decisions about what you eat and don't eat.

Okay wait..the Hartwigs don't always eat Whole 30? That's it..I am going back to bed!

I think the word Paleo brings on a lot of other connotations in regards to lifestyle. I have met many a fellow who like to argue that I am not really "paleo" because I live in a house and buy meat at a store. The Whole 30 is about your relationship with food, and cleaning it up as much as you ever could. Paleo is more about what "cavemen" ate. It is a quick way to explain what you eat, but not why. The Whole 30, you just say "I eat whole foods that make me healthier" not "I only eat what cavemen ate". The latter is open for much debate. :)

I think the word Paleo brings on a lot of other connotations in regards to lifestyle. I have met many a fellow who like to argue that I am not really "paleo" because I live in a house and buy meat at a store. The Whole 30 is about your relationship with food, and cleaning it up as much as you ever could. Paleo is more about what "cavemen" ate. It is a quick way to explain what you eat, but not why. The Whole 30, you just say "I eat whole foods that make me healthier" not "I only eat what cavemen ate". The latter is open for much debate. :)

OMG..my brother said close to that. He asked me if I hit my friends over the head and drag them into a cave. Yes, I do George. Why? Do you have an issue with that?

I stress the whole foods, no labels on my food part of this lifestyle. I say the shorter the ingredient list the better. Most people don't react negatively to it.

But if anyone questions no grains, "because grains are good for you, right?" I simply ask "Which is better for you? Whole wheat bread or broccoli?". They pick the right answer EVERY time! Kids and adults. :)

Archived