Traveling the world & WHOLE30ing Jan 2nd!

LauraG27

Hey I'm Laura! I am traveling the world and working remotely for a year. I move to a new country every month. I am now on my 5th month living in The Czech Republic and in a few days I'll be moving to Valencia, Spain (where I'll be all January). This will be my first time in Spain and it is also where I will be starting my 1st WHOLE 30. I know , I know...call me crazy for starting in a country with ever-flowing sangria and delicious paella and tapas ;) but I've accepted temptations will always be there and I've been wanting to do this for myself for a while.  Also, since traveling and working remotely is my new lifestyle, I want to prove to myself I can be and stay healthy even when traveling and moving around. I would love find 2 accountability buddies for regular check ins, learn about others lifestyles (how do you manage to stay compliant and energized to keep going?!) Let's do this!

Hi Laura, wow! That's some story and it totally makes sense. Although I'm not traveling the world, there's always some mental notion when away from home to just go ahead and splurge. I like your thinking. I started yesterday, but will totally be your accountability buddy, as I already know I'll need a stern talking to at some point on this. I can tell you that at this point, I found the energy to even start this thing, let alone keep on it from the current health crises I'm in. I usually go on these things kicking and screaming which tells me I really need to be doing something. Looking forward to hearing more about you. Sorry, I don't have a pic yet. I literally just signed up. Vanessa

Laura - wow, I would love to be doing a Whole30 in Valencia.  Talk about delicious food!

I am a Californian who moved to England one year ago.  I completed several Whole30s a few years ago but have fallen off the wagon and desperately need to get my eating back under control.  I will be doing most of my Whole30 while in England but will be traveling to California for 10 days in the middle of it, so lots of temptation to fall off the wagon.  I'd love a group of people to help me stay strong.

Funny enough, I'll be in Valencia, California, while you are in Valencia, Spain.  Wonder which one is better ..... (Spain!)

Tracy

Vanessa, I hope you stuck to your guns and did not have that cocktail.  Otherwise, you need to start your count over.

I am starting with the group on the second.  I am nervous because I really, really wanted to succeed this time,  because I have failed my test feel whole30s.  Once I get through the first days, in the past my breakdowns have occurred around day 10 during my replenish trip at Costco where I cheat with a sample, so I think I will need to avoid Costco for the duration.

Because I am traveling and working overnights, I am going to do a very minimalist diet this time around.   I like having chicken broth in the morning instead of coffee.   I can't really eat right away in the morning so I drink my broth first and then go back about an hour later to have my protein and veg.

1 hour ago, Becka in Addis said:

Hi. I live in Ethiopia and am doing the Whole 30.  Im trying to keep updated using instagram and my blog!  I'm just starting but I think it is a good was to stay accountable and try out new recipes! 

Becka_in_Addis 

awkwardencountersweb.wordpress.com

Is this your first whole30, or have you done them before.  I would be interested in hearing about your food experience in Ethiopia, as I have not been there.  I have found trying to do a Whole30 in the UK very different from my experience in the US.

*Actually, I just checked out your blog.  Very interesting!

Happy 1ST WHOLE30 day! so excited about our journey to healthier and happier versions of ourselves! When you feel tempted, pressured, and like giving up, remember why you started! Also yesterday, I took the time to write out my main 3 reasons for doing this and set it as my phones screen saver...will be looking at it as many times as needed to keep me accountable :)

Hi Laura - yes it looks like the European/African hemisphere has started its Whole30.  Looking forward to it. 

I was doing a fridge cleanout this morning, but we have leftover Nomnompaleo Instant Pot beef stew, and Againstallgrain Moroccon Chicken in the fridge as leftovers already.  Made some boiled eggs in the Instant Pot last night.  Already have homemade paleo mayo, and homemade chicken broth in the fridge.  Since we in England have teeny tiny fridges, that's it for my cookup.  I made some ground beef and chopped some bell pepper and tomatoes this morning.  It's fun doing a whole30 when you've already been paleo, but it's the cheat foods that have crept back into my life with a vengeance.  Can't discard them, because not all of my family is paleo, but I can hide them out of reach for a while.

Awesome Tracy - great start! So I moved to Valencia this past Saturday and i am LOVING it!!! I went to the local market this morning and got all my food. So much yummy fresh food including already roasted veggies!  Then checked out a few other stores and got all natural almond milk and chicken broth. How is everyone else's first day?

Weird - I was sure I posted here since starting but my thread didn't show up.

Anyway, doing fine here.  I'm starting out minimalist because I tend to fall apart if I have too much choice.  Just simple sauteed meat and veggies for me at the moment.  I do have a ton of recipes from previous whole30s that I love to use in every day life.  Our favorite recently was Moroccan Chicken from againstallgrain.com.

Starting day 4.  I've got ground beef and zucchini all set to go for today.  Hot water with lemon this morning.  Breakfast probably a little later.

How are you doing?

Doing great!!! Day 4 as well! I have been getting a little creative so I don't get bored haha and I'm really enjoying trying out recipes. Last night I made cauliflower rice  (I was afraid to try it since I don't have a food processor) but chopping it in very tiny pieces was so therapeutic haha I'm very excited for lunch today! 

You could also use a box grater.  Are you traveling minimalist?  What kind of remote work are you doing?  My husband is a CPA and moved us to England while still managing a hospital in California remotely, traveling back once a month.

When my best friend and I did our Eurail trip to Spain in the late 80's, I traveled for 30 days using one normal-sized backpack.  Being cash-poor students at the time, we lived on one baguette and some cans of mackerel  per day.  Our treat was to buy one restaurant meal per city, so of course we got paella in Valencia.

Wish me luck - I'm driving four hours to Heathrow tonight, staying at a hotel overnight with my two children, then leaving on an airplane at 1330 for a 12 hour flight.  I sauteed a bunch of hamburger and zucchini; also made hard boiled eggs.  I hope I won't have a problem getting my food past security - just have to make sure the zucchini doesn't get too saucy. 

14 minutes ago, drtracyb said:

Wish me luck - I'm driving four hours to Heathrow tonight, staying at a hotel overnight with my two children, then leaving on an airplane at 1330 for a 12 hour flight.  I sauteed a bunch of hamburger and zucchini; also made hard boiled eggs.  I hope I won't have a problem getting my food past security - just have to make sure the zucchini doesn't get too saucy. 

re: the zucchini, I have this image of you cracking the lid of the container to pour out the bit of liquid that's accumulated, while locking eye contact with the airport security person. :P

Tracy, I've been selected for a program called remote year.  So I pay them a fee and they take care of my accommodations travel and pretty much all of the logistics/operational stuff  when we move each month.   The box grater is a great idea. I have a kitchen at every accommodation  but unfortunately not fully stocked. I think I'm just going to get a grater and save me lots of time :)  online Spanish tutor, translation and  subtitles for documentaries, and do experiential marketing for a few businesses back in the US.   Best of luck during your day of travels! You can do it! 

On 1/6/2017 at 5:36 AM, kirkor said:

re: the zucchini, I have this image of you cracking the lid of the container to pour out the bit of liquid that's accumulated, while locking eye contact with the airport security person. :P

Too funny!  I imagined the same thing!  In the end, they didn't even look.  I survived the trip and didn't cheat.  First hurdle over.

Day 9 here we go - I'm in California now to on pacific time.  Doing well here - time to do a cookup somehow.  I'm working the next 7 nights at a veterinary emergency clinic in Merced, California central valley, middle of nowhere.  Not much to do during the daytime, as I don't know anyone here.  I'll probably go see if I can find a gym to give me a week-long membership.

Nice!! Day 9 too and my top NSVs so far:

1: My sugar and bad carbs cravings are pretty much gone. Living in Spain, I've been invited to a lot of social events (people eating and drinking lots) In the past few days I've attended a couple to still spend time with my friends BUT have not been tempted at all :) (fyi: The first week I ate all my meals at a home to gain some confidence with in vs out of scope foods) Only eaten two meals out since starting and have called the place prior to arriving or spoke to the waiter... They have been very accommodating! 

2: Waking up before my alarm and feeling well rested and with lots of energy! 

Tracy, finding a gym will be a great way to eliminate eating from boredom especially if there isn't much to do! The first week i had very little energy to workout but just found a dance & fitness studio by me and will be going to my first class on Thursday! 

Would love to know, what are everyone's top NSV (non scale victories) so far?! 

Nice.  Hopefully you are not missing out too much on the cultural experience of being newly arrived in Spain and not choosing to partake.  But you'll be here long enough that you'll overcome that, soon enough.  I am so envious that you get to visit countries and have a ready-made social experience, rather than the loneliness that can occur. 

Archived