Silicon dioxide

brandeeg83

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Cheshire Cheetah said:

It had soy listed in the sneakiest place: the allergy statement... Guess it was a part of the "vegetable juice"

Ugh. I was hoping for a cheap protein source... Curse you tuna!

It is possible to find canned tuna that's compliant, although it's not usually the cheapest brand available. Last time I checked, my walmart had a couple of brands that were.

You might look for canned salmon instead, it's usually easier to find compliant and can be a little cheaper as well. Most cans will contain the bones and skin, pouches usually don't, and some cans don't, so if dealing with that bothers you, be sure you read the labels carefully. It's not really that bad to remove that stuff, but if you've never dealt with it before it can seem kind of icky. Many people do eat the bones, I just prefer my salmon not to crunch, so that's your choice.

Just now, ShannonM816 said:

It is possible to find canned tuna that's compliant, although it's not usually the cheapest brand available. Last time I checked, my walmart had a couple of brands that were.

You might look for canned salmon instead, it's usually easier to find compliant and can be a little cheaper as well. Most cans will contain the bones and skin, pouches usually don't, and some cans don't, so if dealing with that bothers you, be sure you read the labels carefully. It's not really that bad to remove that stuff, but if you've never dealt with it before it can seem kind of icky. Many people do eat the bones, I just prefer my salmon not to crunch, so that's your choice.

I don't mind removing bones and skin, but I've never really liked the taste of salmon. I'll give it a try again. If I don't like it, well it's just 30 days. I can live without tuna :)

I had this same trouble looking for canned chicken (I don't eat seafood). I wanted to have it on hand and also thought I could easily replace some of these interesting sounding Whole30 recipes that call for tuna with canned chicken.    

Luckily I found one brand at my Safeway that only contains chicken, water and salt. Although my can lists rosemary extract in the ingredient list and I don't see that on their website. From what a google search tells me about rosemary extract, it should be okay.

http://www.valleyfresh.com/product.php?name=chicken-natural

• 1 year later...

Archived