Binge eating recovery and binge foods

CateL

@nira81 I am so glad to hear that you are continuing on!  You are almost there :) I'm going to check out that course as well.  The tortilla chip craving actually was an isolated incident in that I have NEVER craved something so bad.  Like, I actually wanted to go out to a Mexican restaurant, walk up to a table, eat one tortilla chip and leave LOL!  I think I may be lucky in that I don't have a roaring sugar dragon.  My weakness is not sweets, it's anything savory.

I miss tortilla chips, pizza and jalapeno poppers (still miss those and always will lol!).  I may EVENTUALLY make some compliant ones, but I feel, for me, those would 100% be SWYPO.  After 60 days, I'm going to see how I feel and continue on if I see fit.  Otherwise, I see a transition to modified paleo.  I never plan on bringing back dairy or grains at all, but I do plan on eventually bringing back some legumes and soy strictly in the form of soy sauce if I am out eating sushi b/c I don't want to carry around my coconut aminos!

@catel so glad to hear you are continuing on as well!  Isn't it amazing to realize that you have not had a binge?  I am not sure the level each of you were, and perhaps this is too personal of a question, but did you ever take prescription medicine specifically targeted towards your BED?  I was on Topamax (noticeable reduction in binges, but made me dumb as rocks, seriously...) and then was given an RX for a newer drug called Vyvanse.  I believe it's the first drug approved by the FDA to treat moderate to severe binge eating.  I have chosen not to take it at this point.  W30 has really helped me, and Vyvanse is a stimulant so, combined with my anxiety, I'm not sure how I feel about taking it.  I'm not anti medicine at all as I take things for my panic and anxiety disorders.

• 2 weeks later...

Just checking in, round one I lasted until day 15 where a surprise award and champagne was my undoing. I ended up with the worst booze/food hangover for a week from eating and drinking the wrong things including blinding migraines. (I had encephalitis last year so migraines always make me a bit nervous if they are long lasting). Spent the weekend in Brussles and was pretty miserable due to the lack of compliant food. Pastries and chocolate everwhere! I ended up massively undereating what I could find that was compliant. I'm on day 5 now. I've tweaked the program slightly by added beans to breakfast occasionally as I can'T eat eggs at all and all the meat was a killer, making me gag.  How is everyone travelling? 

Hi @WholeWallet30, how are you hanging in?

Hi @CateL - you made it 15 days!  I remember my first big drinking/food combo from last round of whole30.  Nothing like it.  Glad to hear you're on your own reset now.   

I agree with you about the meat!  I do feel best on a moderate amount of protein but since I've been on the reintroduction phase I've been having less meat at dinner and it feels better.  I've added in corn chips, gluten, and alcohol so far.  Oddly the grains didn't flare up any joint pain or "grain brain", just cravings for more starches.  Those never went away in the first place!  The alcohol hurt my hands though.  But no sugar cravings, at least not physical ones.  Oh and legumes in the form of peanut butter, which made me sick.  I have to test beans or peanuts alone.  I'm having fewer binge urges now that the strict whole30 phase is over.  I'm sure I'm overeating, but I am not bingeing and I'm happy enough with maintaining my winter weight eating this way.   

Keep us updated! 

@nira81 Hi!  I became much more active on the Whole 30 sub on Reddit so haven't been back on here!

I completed the 30 days and decided to continue on to a Whole60 at minimum.  I didn't measure myself until towards the end of my first 30 days, so I won't have accurate numbers for that yet, but I did lose 18 lbs in the first 30 days.  I'll weigh again at the end of 60.

I feel good. Zero cravings which is insane to me!

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I had my first strong binge urges since completing my January Whole30.

I don't keep my trigger foods (chips, candy) in the house but in the past I would actually drive to the store just to buy them when the urge hit. I have a good 2-3 hours by myself before my husband gets home from work where I am by myself so that is my "witching hour"

Yesterday leaving work I had pretty much convinced myself I could go to the store, buy what I wanted, and binge.

On the way to the car something clicked though and I told myself NO. Instead I drove home, had a snack, went down to exercise on my bike trainer and made a yummy dinner (steak, potatoes, brussel sprouts, salad).

Today I feel so good for being able to wise up and say no to myself and do something healthier. I know it won't be the last time I have to fight these urges but for now, I won.

Archived