November Whole30...The Saga Continues

CCLaymon

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made zoodles (zucchini noodles) for the first time ever last night. At first the julienne peeler mystified me. I couldn't figure out how to make it work - so much so that I was going to give up and return the device to the store! I'm still not sure what i did, but something right, and then it worked fine.

I steamed the zoodles over boiling water, covered, for 3 minutes, just the way the Whole30 book says. Then I plated them and covered them with homemade tomato sauce (no garlic and no onion!) and the leftover meatballs from the night before. I didn't love it, but I did like it. Enough so that I will make it again sometime. And the zoodles twirl around a fork beautifully. ;)

I let my kids have wheat pasta, because I knew my son especially would not like the substitution of the zoodles. My daughter did add the zoodles to her salad, and she liked them that way.

The one time I tried spaghetti squash as a replacement for spaghetti, I hated it. With that as a baseline, the zoodles were wonderful.

@Jessica NG - Ha! I'm the opposite. I LOVE spaghetti squash and can take or leave zoodles. Glad your mom is on the mend, will continue to pray for healing and strength.

My birthday is next week (3/4) and I'm taking three days off work after my weekend, for a total of five days off! So excited, it's much needed as I'm SO over my job. No drama lately, just realized I've outgrown it in every way and it's not longer helping me move forward in my other career goals.

On the food front, things have been fine. I've got a stuffed up head this week, I've been eating goat cheese and that may be the cause of it.

My activity level is down this week due to a foot injury I sustained trying to break in some new shoes at work that my metatarsal DOES not like. Food is on the mend, but I'm going a little stir crazy not being able to walk as much.

Any one watching the Oscars tonight?

@browneyedbeauty LOL! That's funny about the spaghetti squash-zoodle spectrum. Thank goodness for options! We can each find what suits us best. Thanks for the prayers for my mom. Much appreciated!

Lately I've been immersed in Orphan Black. Addictive!

We had leftover zoodles tonight. I warmed them up by pouring boiling water over them in a sieve. Then I drizzled them with some freshly melted clarified butter and sprinkled them with salt. Side salad. Baked carrots. And some pastured filet mignon that I'd been saving in the freezer for forever. I decided that it was time to eat it and enjoy! It was utterly delicious! Another reason I'd not cooked it before was I was worried I would ruin it. But I've been using the Whole30 method for cooking meat long enough now that I felt confident that I could do it justice. And i did! :D

Good Morning All, this was a gorgeous weekend here in Upstate NY, but stuck to the cooking for the week even though I didn't want to stay in the house lol.... Made my home made mayonnaise with compliant Olive Oil I may add :), and poached chicken breasts, onion diced, celery diced, and organic red seedless grapes and voila chicken salad for a few days for lunch.  Also made a pot of slow cooker chocolate chilly YUMMMMM! tonight after work making a fritatta because I ate the last of my breakfast salad.  Looking for some good ideas for breakfast on the go,  I'm thinking egg whites and veggies in muffin tins with Aidels apple chicken sausage!!!  Have a great day all :D

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 11:04 AM, Jessica NG said:

I steamed the zoodles over boiling water, covered, for 3 minutes, just the way the Whole30 book says. Then I plated them and covered them with homemade tomato sauce (no garlic and no onion!) and the leftover meatballs from the night before. I didn't love it, but I did like it. Enough so that I will make it again sometime. And the zoodles twirl around a fork beautifully. ;)

Try sautéing them with some olive oil, sea salt, cracked black pepper, and whatever spices you like. I like garlic, but if you're avoiding FODMAPS, maybe you could use a garlic-infused olive oil for the flavor without the actual vegetable (is garlic a vegetable? I've never thought of what it might be considered before!), or some parsley or something if that fits into your plan. I found sautéing the zoodles left them not quite as mushy as steaming them, but still perfectly able to be twirled around a fork.

2 hours ago, PatriciaNY said:

Good Morning All, this was a gorgeous weekend here in Upstate NY, but stuck to the cooking for the week even though I didn't want to stay in the house lol.... Made my home made mayonnaise with compliant Olive Oil I may add :), and poached chicken breasts, onion diced, celery diced, and organic red seedless grapes and voila chicken salad for a few days for lunch.  Also made a pot of slow cooker chocolate chilly YUMMMMM! tonight after work making a fritatta because I ate the last of my breakfast salad.  Looking for some good ideas for breakfast on the go,  I'm thinking egg whites and veggies in muffin tins with Aidels apple chicken sausage!!!  Have a great day all :D

We had the same amazing weather down in the Metro-NY area. I had off last Thursday when it was almost 70 degrees out, and was so pleased to have been able to keep the windows open while doing a little house cleaning! Where in upstate NY are you? My in-laws live in Central NY, on a farm in Auburn in Cayuga County. I live in the suburbs of Westchester County, north of Manhattan.

I restarted at the gym today. It's the first time I've made it there for an honest to goodness workout in many months. I'd been meeting with the personal trainer, but doing a half-assed job of it, and even with that, I'd skipped the last three months. But two days ago I really took a look at myself in the mirror and was shocked at my appearance, even though I'd been feeling dumpy physically for awhile. Today I had an appointment with my PCP (a follow up since I hadn't seen her in over a year), and when she asked how I was doing, I cried. Mostly because I'm still so sad over the loss of my mother... it's been almost a year since she died. I know emotionally it won't really make things 100% again, but I do know that the endorphins I release at the gym will get my serotonin and dopamine flowing again. Something I sorely need, I think.

So, I'm making a public acknowledgment that I'm recommitting to working on my physical fitness again. Not just my eating. I know they both go hand-in-hand, and now that I'm in a kind of groove with my food, I need to work on my movement. This is my accountability post. I really look forward to feeling better emotionally and physically about myself.

@NoMoreCrunchyCravings I'm near the Albany NY area.  Just got a call from one of the girls I work with whose on my Facebook and she wants me to start going with her to lift weights!  Oh Lord I don't know if my body is ready for that yet!  I know I have to do something so that I don't turn to mush!  I need to start walking without the dog because the doctor was right that's not really a walk!  I have to get my mind set to do this, it'll only HELP me!! :)

2 hours ago, PatriciaNY said:

@NoMoreCrunchyCravings I'm near the Albany NY area.  Just got a call from one of the girls I work with whose on my Facebook and she wants me to start going with her to lift weights!  Oh Lord I don't know if my body is ready for that yet!  I know I have to do something so that I don't turn to mush!  I need to start walking without the dog because the doctor was right that's not really a walk!  I have to get my mind set to do this, it'll only HELP me!! :)

Nice- we're almost neighbors, in the grand scheme of things! :lol:

Whether you join your coworker for weight training, or just do some more walking (without the pup!), you'll be doing your body a heap of a lot. Small steps, if that's easier - your body will feel the difference without taking huge first steps. Just a little bit at a time makes for a physical change as well. Good luck!

I'm jealous of the nice weather some of you ladies are having. It snowed here again today. :angry::angry::angry::angry: I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I despise the snow and would be a perfectly happy woman if I never say it ever again. 

@Jessica NG Lot's of friends say I need to watch Orphan Black, but I have yet to see it on Netflix. I should check again. I'm currently watching "Revenge", it's not a current show, but all four seasons are on Netflix.

HELLO LADIES!!  It's been a crazy February with lots of work travel and my son's spring musical. Hectic, but all good.  I haven't been 100% compliant, but my "off the wagon" is an occasional salad dressing or sauce when I'm out at a restaurant. OH! And yesterday one of my clients invited me to her house for lunch, and she served quiche, and I ate it because that was the right things to do ;)  It had cheese and crust, and while I won't be doing that again (I believe that is part of a slippery slope) it didn't affect me.

My husband wants to do a Whole 30 for lent.  He is seeing my success (I'm down 15 pounds and feeling great) though I'm not sure he's mentally up for it, as he will have to do a lot of food prep on his own.

For those of you wanting to commit to start again tomorrow, do you want to stay here or pop back up to the regular pages? It really helps me to have a group to check in with, so if a few of you are ready, I'd love to join in!

I think I am going to have a lot of trouble with another W30 but it's what I want and need. Feeling so sad lately.  I checked out the existing groups and none felt right for me. 

@CCLaymon It would be helpful if we could go back to the regular pages. Can you put us back there?  

@NoMoreCrunchyCravings  So sorry about your mom. Grief is horrible.  That pain never goes away; it just changes.  It hurts so much because we loved so much.  The exercise definitely helps with the mood - so it's a double win - body and mind.  I have not been going to the gym the last few weeks  but I have been working out at home. 

I'm in for a March whole30. I'm way off the wagon and I'm ready to go back to being less bloated and sleeping better. It doesn't matter to me where we meet up. Just as long as we do it! 

If we go back to the other location... We would need to stick to whole 30 chatter rather then sliding into other territories. That's how we got bumped here in the first place. 

Anyone still posting here? I feel weird posting what I'm eating in the new w30 thread since I'm not actually doing a w30. The moderators will move our thread if there's too much talk of non-w30 food items and scale victories and the like since it can be confusing to new people. Anyone else still here on this post-w30 thread?

@NoMoreCrunchyCravings Sure... I'll check both. I'm trying not to post non-whole stuff there but it's hard cause y'all have become friends! 

So here's my update... Back on the plan. Tough though since life sorta took over. But I think it's under control again. At least will be in a few days. 

Then back to Konmari! Cause it's time to get out together to go with my new lifestyle! 

Oh man, I've tried the Konmari style of gaining freedom through decluttering but haven't gotten past reading the third chapter, let alone attempting to get rid of stuff in my home. I'm a clutterbug to the max, on the verge of hoarding, except I don't keep anything disgusting or rotten, no trash/recycling, and we don't have any unwanted housemates (ie: insects, rodents that aren't my three guinea pigs, vermin of distasteful origin, etc.).

While I work on myself, and get a little further on, cleaning up my home to allow for more freedom of my mind is a big goal. First was food, which I now understand more about how to eat better, and how food effects how I feel physically and emotionally. Next is fitness, which I'm working on now, while doing a little bit of decluttering as I'm able, but the fitness is the bigger part I'm focusing on as my pull is to want to feel better inside of my skin. But the decluttering isn't far off- I think I may even call a professional organizer for help soon.

So glad you're back on the plan and on the road to feeling a lot better! Good luck with all of your lifestyle changes in the upcoming days!!!

I'm back. It was my birthday on the 4th, and I took three days off work, so between my birthday last week and getting caught back up from my mini vacation this week, I haven't had time to drop in and post.

My birthday time off was good. I did dinner with my family on Friday night, and had a friend's dinner Sunday night. Thurs/Sat we pretty much chilled and ate TONS of junk food. And we both paid the price for it big time. We agreed that we prefer eating whole foods, so we went shopping yesterday and created a weekly meal plan so I don't have to spend three hours a day cooking.

I've been stressed out lately. I think it's a combo of eating sugar (more long term reintroduction's and I'm discovering my body does not like sugar at all.), and the responsibility I'm feeling to spend time with my wife, mom and grandma while trying to build a new career and not go crazy at my day job.

I'm taking part in Zero Draft Thirty this month, which is basically NaNoWriMo for screenwriters, and finishing up the last month of a four month business course I've been taking. Typing all this up, I guess I know why I've been feeling stressed. ;) I should probably lighten the load on myself but I know if I do that, I'm going to beat myself up more than if I just push through and finish strong.

Anyway, I'm still here, although I will be here less over the next couple weeks.

Archived