November Whole30...The Saga Continues

CCLaymon

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, MizRik said:

I will not be committing to a 100% compliant whole 30 right now because over the weekend of January 20th, there will be a break in the plan. I am an adult and I am choosing to enjoy a birthday weekend with adult beverages. So since I can’t say that I am actually doing a whole30 right now, can I still hang out with you guys? Other than that weekend I plan to be complaint.

Hi @MizRik - you are right, you're an adult. One thing you might not have considered though. You might get to January 20th (a full 16 days away!) and realize that on that evening you don't actually want to break your Whole30 or that maybe you just aren't feeling a desire for wine/beer/spirits etc. Try not giving yourself a scheduled non-compliance and instead, get to that day and then question yourself about what it is that you are wanting at the time. The answer 16 days from now might not be the same answer you would give right now. ;) 

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Sarah_MT glad to have you back! It’s a proven fact that the second go-around is harder, so you’re not alone in feeling like that. It will be great fun to have some friends along this time. If they are forum joining kinds of people, but sure to ask them to join us here!

@Laurie good to see you here J It sounds like you are taking baby steps to take care of yourself, and that’s awesome. Maybe you can share some FODMAP knowledge with @Jessica NG?

@mhemm your good attitude will get you through! I think my failure in the past was to focus on what I was missing out on, and not on how great I was feeling. I went to a lunch meeting today and the bread was overflowing. I looked at the menu ahead of time, ordered a crab and avocado salad that was AH-MAZING! (why don’t I make that at home?) and minded my own business, and I felt like a million bucks when it was all over.

@browneyedbeauty

, I think that being able to eat fat makes this plan feel indulgent!

@MizRik

if we didn’t hear from you today I was going to come find you! Of course you are welcome to hangout. We have a lot of experiments going on this month. I wonder how Emily is doing with her travels?  I’ll be curious to hear how you do with on/off a few times over the next two months. I think that is how it’s designed – to be able to indulge with a plan – but I haven’t been successful in the past so I will watch with envy from afar J

@IronGirlTrixie

do we need to come find you?

@ladyshanny thanks for a great reminder!

Tonight I made the beef brisket from the Whole30. Jessica and Melissa have been putting me to shame with their adventurous recipes! I’ll admit it wasn’t my favorite, but it wasn’t bad, my son loved it, and it was a nice change of pace. Also, slow cookers ROCK, so I can’t complain!

Not much news here – I have to start prepping for another trip to Charleston this Saturday through next Wednesday. I have a lot of control over the food options, so I’m not too worried about. I am going to the dueling piano bar Saturday night (my absolute favorite thing to do when we travel!).  No plans for drinking , so I’m hoping to book the early show and not be too tempted.

It’s so great to have everyone back!

Hey, it's Alice.

After a better night's sleep, I awoke with my headache gone. Feeling that I am in a better space mentally today. Yesterday was hard and grouchy was the mood.

Packed up my chicken breast pieces/strips I had sauteed the other night with fajita type spices.......cilantro, chili powder,garlic  and S &P. Actually mixed them into some broccoli and cabbage "bagged" slaw I had bought . (LUV the ready bagged stuff !) Had also added radishes, red onion, peppers and a few cashews to this mixture......LUNCH was delish! Oh, dressed it with EVOO, s/p and a splash of apple cider v . SO much crunching, that I felt like I was having the best meal ever!

Tonight I managed to throw together a quick chili, using zucchini, onions,peppers, mushrooms and compliant tomatoes, and spices. Very tasty. Then I put on a pot of soup using beets, celery, carrots onions and dried mushrooms. It simmered for an hour and will serve as a filler late aft tomorrow, as I have a hair appointment right after work. 

Wonderful to have everyone sharing their story.  I had 2 post partum depressions after my first and third kids. Have stayed on my Zoloft ever since that 3 rd baby . Mental illness is a beast of its own . Very misunderstood on so many levels.  I am fortunate that I now work with new moms/ babes, and my "lived experience" has been incredibly helpful. I am very much OK with hearing about the struggles, no matter what the situation involves. As mentioned in a much earlier post with the first w30,  I also have a daughter who is in recovery from drug and alcohol addiction, and who suffers with depression and anxiety. She is our first born and lives at home with us. We are all more alike than different I suspect, with our struggles, stories and experiences. 

Hope everyone has an excellent day tomorrow!  

Another NSV today. When I reached the early afternoon, I was aware that I didn't have a plan for tonight's dinner. In the past, this would have prompted anxiety, along with some sort of slapdash making-do that wasn't very satisfactory. Today didn't go that way.

Instead, I had confidence that I would figure it out. And I did! First I went to the gym for weight lifting. Then I ran an errand on my way home. When I arrived home, I checked the fridge and the freezer for options, and I put together my plan.

I decided on leftover soup for me. For some reason, when I pulled the soup out of the fridge, I tasted it before heating it up and it was UTTERLY DELICIOUS as a gelatin salad full of yummy veggies and pieces of chicken. So I didn't heat it up. I ate it as a chilled gelatin salad. YUM! :D

For the kids and husband: breakfast sausage patties, the whites from spring onions sauteed in bacon grease (I actually saved some a while back :D)with leftover potatoes to make hashbrowns, and baked corn (from a bag of frozen that has been hanging about and needed to be used). They LOVED the meal. (They are not Whole30ing with me, thus the non-compliant corn.)

Anyway, it feels like I really and truly have gained some kitchen skills that I did not have before my first Whole30. It's great to feel more competent!

@IronGirlTrixie @MizRik @Laurieand @Sarah_MT Great to hear from you!

@Laurie I'd love any tips you have for dealing with FODMAP issues. What were the symptoms that made you realize that you had FODMAP issues? Did you get relief when you avoided FODMAP foods? And how soon did that relief arrive?

I'm on day 4 of my January Whole30.  Gearing up to a week which is fraught with temptation and potential for failure -- I am currently in the UK but am flying back to California to do a week of overnight emergency vet shifts at my old job.  I'm already worrying about the plane trip and then making sure I stay compliant while sleeping away from home for a week.  I will have access to a microwave so plan to get compliant frozen beef patties and a bunch of vegetables.  The plane will be hard, as it is an international trip so has free alcohol, and of course 13 hours stuck on a plane with lots of temptation.  Am already planning my packed meals.  I'm posting here to put myself on notice not to give in to temptation.

5 hours ago, drtracyb said:

I'm on day 4 of my January Whole30.  Gearing up to a week which is fraught with temptation and potential for failure -- I am currently in the UK but am flying back to California to do a week of overnight emergency vet shifts at my old job.  I'm already worrying about the plane trip and then making sure I stay compliant while sleeping away from home for a week.  I will have access to a microwave so plan to get compliant frozen beef patties and a bunch of vegetables.  The plane will be hard, as it is an international trip so has free alcohol, and of course 13 hours stuck on a plane with lots of temptation.  Am already planning my packed meals.  I'm posting here to put myself on notice not to give in to temptation.

You've got this! Think of it as a creative challenge the plane ride part. Might help ease some fears. And you really may not need to worry so much if you're only eating every 4-5 hours. So you'll need to plan for one meal on the plane. A really good book or craft. Walk up and down the aisle for stretching. Walking lunges might be fun ;) 

Day three was pretty good. Made more food, did not have any cravings I felt were too much.

But then I decided to light off day four and "Kill all the things" off with a bang. I walked into work at 6:30AM to find out my co-worker (I work contract security for a large corporation) had just decided on his own we were going to switch jobs for the day and told the grave shift to tell me to log-in and do his job while he was off doing my job. This is an issue we've had in the past, and it's been frustrating me, so today (probably not the wisest choice) I decided to confront him about it and address it. Granted, my approach wasn't the best "Hey we need to talk about this morning and why you decided on your own I was doing your job today" but he FLIPPED out on me. Like, started yelling at me, calling me names and saying how he's never going to "help" me out again (well when your 'help' is making decisions for me, no thanks!). Anyway, my boss got involved, my wo-worker went home early and now my boss is trying to figure out how to get me on a new shift because this co-worker has decided he's not working with me anymore. All because I asked him not to make unilateral decisions affecting me, without my input. #sigh.

@IronGirlTrixie, I believe you still owe a story, or description at the very least, of DANCE CAMP!!

@AliceV it sounds like you are making some great food over there! And, thank you for sharing your story with us. :wub:  You're right, we all have our struggles, and it's so nice to be here with such a supportive gang.  By the way, I'm making lemon chicken over spaghetti squash tonight so I'll report in later and tell you how it went!

@Jessica NG a savory gelatin soup and the word "delicious" will not ever come together for me, but props to you! I'll bet @higs is all "yummy cold gelatin soup." She is adventurous like you ;)

@drtracyb did you read @NoMoreCrunchyCravings (Emily's) post about her plan trip to Norway this week? She may have had to take a carry on for the snacks, but she'll be prepared for sure! She had a lot of great ideas there. One question - you're doing the mono meal, right? Is that a requirement (I mean in your own head) or something to fall back on? If you take other things on the plane, are you ok with that? Fascinating.

@browneyedbeauty, is this new shift option a good thing? It sounds like your boss took your side? I think I would have done the same thing!

Off to make that lemon chicken! What's everyone eating tonight?

13 minutes ago, IronGirlTrixie said:

@CCLaymon I added it in the other thread. Let me know if you want to know more than what's in there. Details etc. 

I went back and checked it out. OMG the SHENANIGANS at dance camp!! :D  I LOVE IT!  That actually sound like a lot of fun!

On 1/4/2017 at 2:37 PM, ladyshanny said:

You might get to January 20th (a full 16 days away!) and realize that on that evening you don't actually want to break your Whole30 or that maybe you just aren't feeling a desire for wine/beer/spirits etc. 

You are absolutely right and it's very possible I could feel that way. 

However I also know myself and my history. If I go into that weekend promising myself to stay on plan and don't, I will feel like the worlds largest failure and spin out of control. That is why I am doing the whole30. I do not have control over my eating or emotions surrounding food yet. One day I will. Sadly it has not happened yet. Therefore I am protecting myself from a tail spin out of control. 

I have completed a perfected Whole30 in the past and know that it's possible. Even doing it through the holidays. I also plan on completing many more in the future. 

This one however I'm doing with caution and for me that's okay. 

But you never know...... maybe I will stick to plan and my worries will be obsolete  

@MizRik - I love your response, it makes perfect sense!  You are going into this next month with a PLAN and that is what w30 is all about in the end, right?  We KNOW we are all going to go off plan at some point, but we also are learning to get back on plan in a safe, healthy way all around.  Back & forth, again & again.  That is the FOOD FREEDOM we are all seeking.  Kudos, my friend.

Leftovers are the name of the game tonight, but I am posting recipes for goodies I will be making this weekend - I may have to make 50 lbs of the chicken...:D

http://meljoulwan.com/2014/07/28/taylor-nichols-paleo-chikfila-nuggets/

http://meljoulwan.com/2014/03/10/bacon-jalapeno-burger-balls/ (awesome sauce recipe)

http://meljoulwan.com/2014/03/06/wf2-recipe-kickass-ketchup/

http://meljoulwan.com/2014/03/10/paleo-ranch-dressing/

YUM!:P:wub::D

@CCLaymon I'm an introvert and I don't like mornings, so yes the swing shift is a better shift for my natural rhythms. I went to day shift almost a year ago at the request of my then fiancee, who is a bakery manager for a chain grocery store. But it's taken it's toll on me not just because of the hours but because of the more chaotic rhythm of day shift. I have had recent conversations with my boss about trying to go back to swing and my struggles with day shift. So yes, from that standpoint it is a good thing.

But my boss didn't really take my side, he basically said we're both at fault for what happened, but put the blame on me for my "tone" when I initially approached the conversation, which I find troubling since this co-worker yelled at me, then left for the day, and I never raised my voice or stooped to calling him names. I'm kinda shocked how abusive his tone and demeanor was and even more shocked my boss didn't address that behavior with him. 

This job is not what I want to be doing, I've now been there five years and it's not a bad job, it's just not challenging anymore, or anywhere near my passions, and truthfully I've gone as far as I can go in the company given my other long term goals. So I think this is the final sign in a list of things which has happened over the past few months indicating it's time for me to move on if I can.

@CCLaymon I had been mulling the monomeal for a while because I kept falling off the wagon.  I was also mulling AIP but just don't have the time or energy to memorize what is prohibited.  When @kirkor mentioned his idea in a thread, I thought I'd tag along.  More for simplicity than anything else.   If I get sick of it, I'll branch out.  No worries.  I've been cooking paleo for four years already and have quite an arsenal of favorite recipes.

I'll check out the plans for the plane trip for Norway.

Just wanted to let you all know that my mom is in the hospital. She's doing really well, and I am hopeful that she may be able to go home over the weekend. But she is 86, and I have learned that "doing well and expected to go home soon" can change in a heartbeat to "took a turn for the worse."

Anyway...if I disappear suddenly for a few days - or more than a few days - it will be because I've gone dashing up to Maryland to be with my mom.

@Jessica NG  I will be thinking about you and your mom.  My mom has been very sick, and hospitalized many times within the last year and a half so I can relate.  Sending you wellness hugs! 

@AliceV Thanks for letting us know more about you.  When people share their story, it makes me feel more comfortable sharing my feelings and less alone in my struggles. 

My mom continues to do well, but my dad is now feeling wobbly, so I'm heading up to Maryland. I'm feeling scared about being able to take care of myself in the hospital environment. I have no desire to eat dairy, grains, legumes, or sugar, but the food choices in the cafeteria are always very poor - plus the quality of the ingredients is abysmal, causing the food to taste awful. The last time my mom was in the hospital was so prolonged - and I was there the entire month - that I developed a pelvic floor problem that is still with me to this day. I know the pressures that will likely be brought to bear on me very well, but I have fewer reserves now than I did then. My dad is more frail, so it is likely that I will need to provide more, not less. So I am scared. On top of my worry for my mom. Thank you for your good thoughts, @Laurie

I'm not sure how often - or if - I will be able to check in here.

@Jessica NG - praying for your family!

We've dealt with similar situations this past year with my grandma, who is also 86. Praying for healing, a fast recovery and strength for you and your father.

I'm going to jump right in and tell you all my story, while I have a minute.  I can't say it's terribly exciting, but maybe someone can relate.  I am 41 and married with 2 boys.  My husband and I have been together since HS, married for 18 years this June.  I had always been that athletic girl who can eat anything and not worry about it, until I went to college and became a lot less active...  I gained a lot of weight in college, lost it by working out more, not changing my diet.  Then I got married and had a baby - lost all my baby weight right away and started trying to get pregnant again.  Had a miscarriage and several abdominal surgeries due to ovarian cysts and damage causing removal of one ovary and Fallopian tube.  Had baby #2 and got FAT.  Didn't realize how bad it was until I saw a family picture and joined the Y the next day.  Lost over 40lbs working out 90min of hard cardio every weekday.  Still no nutritional changes.  So now I was in the best shape of my life at age 35 but still trying to get away with eating a SAD.  No Bueno.  The summer of 2009 I was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease which is a disorder with my inner ear/equilibrium.  I had been on anti-depressants for a short time after my babies, blaming hormones for minor depression.  After the Meniere's diagnoses I became very anxious - because you never know when it will hit, I could have a vertigo attack at any second with no warning.  I was in a good place physically and so I dealt with it pretty well.  Then we moved to Missouri.  I had never even been to Missouri and we were suddenly packing up the family and leaving everything we knew for big city life in central Missouri.  I was lost and got very depressed so, with the help of my physician, I was matched up with an amazing therapist who put me back on meds and scheduled regular visits.  I started gaining weight and not really caring for me for a while.  Eventually I joined a gym and made some great friends.  I ended up starting a nutritional program and was doing really well.  I was losing weight and feeling really good.  I was drinking shakes and doing fasting cleanses:unsure:, but I felt pretty good!  So good, that I decided to quit taking my meds.:blink:  I really struggled with the withdrawal symptoms, but was stubborn and determined and stupid (gotta get rid of those toxins!).  Over the course of the next 10 months I sank deeper and deeper into a pit of anxiety and depression but refused to acknowledge it for what it was.  I was teaching preschool at the time and that was all I did.  I would get home and go to bed or lay on the couch, my kids were on their own.  Then when school was out for the summer I stayed on the couch all the time.  I was AFRAID to leave the house.  I would have the guys bring me take out if they went out to eat.  My husband tried so hard to get me out of the house, but I just COULDN'T.  I lost a lot of weight, because for some reason eating was a trigger.  I was disappearing, I was gone.  That was the worst year of my life.  I finally went back to my dr and therapist, got back on my meds and was encouraged to come to the realization that sometimes being on long-term medication is just necessary.  We have now moved back "home" and things had gotten a little crazy - we lived in my in-laws basement for 7 months while we searched for a house and I gained a bunch of weight and wasn't working out.  I started a full time job (I hadn't worked full time for 13 years) and then got promoted (stressed).  Last January (from the in-law's basement) I started reading "It Starts With Food & chatting with a cousin who has been doing w30's off and on.  I knew I couldn't start until we were in a house and I was doing my own shopping and cooking, so I became a student of w30.  Until now.  Now I realize that this is the only kind of nutrition plan I could ever do because I know I got so sucked into the buzzwords like toxins and cleanse that I got a bit obsessive (ok.  way obsessive).  I felt so amazing mid-way through last time and I can't wait to get there again.  The initial detoxing messes with my head so much because every little twinge of a headache or dizziness sets me off.  Air pressure changes also affect my ears/head, so winter, hmmm...  So you see, I'm a mess, but this is my story and I'm proud to say I came out smarter and maybe even stronger.  We have a beautiful dream house, my kids are amazing, and my husband, God bless him, he loves me the best.  We all have a story and something to contribute and I hope that this isn't just a post you scroll past because it's long, I hope it helps someone.  It's already helped me to tell it.

We are all a little broken, but last time I checked, broken crayons still color the same.    ~~~(Trent Shelton)

We are still eating Whole30, but I haven't been able to visit here.  I still have to read page 3 - will get to that later.

I got the new Whole30 cookbook and hope to try the street tacos with jicama soon.  I will look through the the book more tomorrow.  I realized just this now that we will be gone all day tomorrow with kid stuff, and forgot completely to plan food.  So my husband and I will be prepping tonight in between the meeting and kid pick-ups we need to do.

I received my electric bill yesterday and was shocked to see that our usage went up over 30% from last year.  Our furnace and water tank are gas, so electric covers electronics, lights and kitchen/laundry appliances for us.  Then I remembered how much more we have been using our oven and dishwasher since starting Whole30.

I made it to a cycle class at the gym this week and was surprised that I felt almost "normal" there.  I think it has something to do with physics - I'm not dragging as much of "me" around on the bike as I am on foot and through the water.  I think cycle is going to suffer the least amount of my activities (although I doubt I could handle the outdoor routes with more elevation gain right now).  However, I had a good swim yesterday, too.  It was a bit shorter and I wouldn't have been able to go at that level of effort much longer.  Or maybe my energy during workouts is finally starting to return.  My weight isn't dropping like it did last month, so it's also possible that has something in balancing out how my body can perform during my workouts.

I got a fancy new Cuisinart water boiler yesterday with six different preset temps.  This is going to change my life with tea!  I've been resistant  to teas most of my life, and never drank coffee.  But I've always had a struggle with diet sodas.  One of the things I found out was that I was adding water to the teas at a rolling boil all the time, and letting it steep far too long, so I was ruining the taste of them.  So if I can switch myself to teas, I stand a chance at staying away from the diet sodas.  Having this machine to quickly get the water to temp and hold it there - instead of me taking 30-60 minutes to get the water to the right temperature (it's too hot, run to do a load of laundry, come back, it's too cold, reheat it a minute or two and it's too hot again, repeat...), it's ready to go almost as quickly as I can get the tea ready. The warm water in my stomach (especially with mint tea) really calms things down.  (Also, this will probably impact our electric bill, see above.)

Archived