November Whole30...The Saga Continues

CCLaymon

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Jessica NG said:

Feeling better today. I still need to unpack, but I've cleaned up the kitchen! Yay! Hubs would rather cook amidst the chaos than tidy up, which makes me crazy. But now it is tidy and clean, so I will be able to cook in comfort.

I have great plans for decluttering more of the kitchen and dining room cabinets using the KonMari technique. I KonMaried my clothes many months ago (I blogged about it, if anyone wantes to know more: http://jmney-grimm.com/2016/04/getting-started-with-the-konmari-technique/), and I wanted to continue with that through the rest of the house. But I found I couldn't both write my novel and KonMari the house, so I prioritized the novel. I think that was the right decision, but I really want to go forward with the decluttering now. Especially in the kitchen and dining room, because I think it will make cooking easier.

I helped my mother KonMari her clothes on Wednesday and Thursday, because it had been a source of friction between her and my dad. He helps her get dressed by bringing the clothes from the closet to her. (She uses a walker.) And he was always bringing her the wrong pants or the wrong top, partly because she had so many clothes that she no longer wore in her closet. So I helped her go through them, bagged up all the ones she wanted to get rid of, and then took all 3 LARGE bags down to Goodwill. She and my dad were super grateful, and they think that their mornings will get off to a much better start without the clothes hassle. Anyway... my mom's decluttering success has me fired up to do more decluttering of my own. ;)

That's exciting! I'm doing something similar too! 

2 hours ago, IronGirlTrixie said:

That's exciting! I'm doing something similar too! 

@IronGirlTrixie Tell us about your SIMILAR! Curious minds want to know! :D

1 hour ago, CCLaymon said:

Well there Miss @Jessica NG, I enjoyed your blog, but then I popped on over to your Amazon page, and I do believe you have about 22 books you have authored!      You have been holding out on us FAMOUS LADY!!!  That is just amazing. I shall be picking up one soon!!!

LOL! Thanks for making me laugh, Cassie! Still working on the "famous" part, but I'm delighted you are thinking of giving one of my books a try. They are a mix of lengths: 4 novels, 7 novellas, 5 short stories, plus a handful of collected works. Glad you enjoyed the blog post! :D What are nutpods?

@Jessica NG Great blog! I love the concept and may have to dive-in deeper ;).

Today was much better than yesterday. Steak for dinner last night helped. Spent two hours cooking this morning, then went to see my grandmother (who we recently moved from So Cal to be closer to family while she battles end stage dementia.) before work. Swing is much more my pace, I am thrilled to be working a shift which once again allows me to pursue my creative career. All-in-all not a bad day today. 

@CCLaymon I LOVE nutpods, not *quite* as good as the "real" thing, but it's an acceptable substitute. I've found myself drinking more tea than coffee this month, since coffee with nutpods could become SWYPO for me, but doesn't have the same trigger in tea.

16 hours ago, Jessica NG said:

@IronGirlTrixie Tell us about your SIMILAR! Curious minds want to know! :D

Well, I'm on a dance break so...  My something similar was going out all Konmari. But I got stuck in the clothing and I've jumped around a bit.  The funny thing is when I'm on whole30 my brain kicks into clearing and organizing. So now that I've got food under control again, I'm going to get back to sorting. Monday I intend to clean out a bedroom so that I have a better sorting space.  But I've accumulated years of stuff and it's gonna take me some time I suspect. 

3 hours ago, IronGirlTrixie said:

Well, I'm on a dance break so...  My something similar was going out all Konmari. But I got stuck in the clothing and I've jumped around a bit.  The funny thing is when I'm on whole30 my brain kicks into clearing and organizing. So now that I've got food under control again, I'm going to get back to sorting. Monday I intend to clean out a bedroom so that I have a better sorting space.  But I've accumulated years of stuff and it's gonna take me some time I suspect. 

All-out KonMari sounds awesome! I'm delighted to have a KonMari-ing partner here in our thread! :D I'm noticing that I have more mental stamina for things like decluttering, as well as supporting parents in the hospital. I attribute it to the Whole30.

Helllllooooooooo  ladies!!!!

As I am sure you guessed, I never even managed to get started. I just cant seem to get my head in the game this time.

Not sure why I cant get going, but now just doesnt seem to be the right time.

Hope you are all well!!

Rikki

Let's encourage each other to stay committed to the plan.  Who is still on the Whole 30?  Today is day 14 for me -  certainly not perfect  - following recommendations but not the rules.  Often eat when not hungry (need to get control of this)  and still eating RX bars for nonemergencies. 

My focus for Jan, Feb and March  - fight the depression, honor Steve's live by living,  exercise (joined Planet Fitness - low key and inexpensive - also a way to get me out of my apt.), return to bereavement support  group,  Whole 30ish food (I am not sure I will stay on Whole 30 for all 3 months).  For these 3 months, I  joined a special program - Stroll For Well-Being/Healing Garden Walks - participants (people with depression/illness, caretakers, veterans), - led by program coordinator and a therapist.  We meet once a month for 3 months   The program is based on a study that people who walked the Japanese Gardens twice a week for 6 weeks had reduced feelings of sadness, hopelessness, fear and loneliness, and greater feelings of happiness and joy at the end of the program. In between the monthly meetings, we are required to walk the gardens.  We are given a guide book with  great information, as well as space to journal our thoughts.  The themes to focus on during the walks are awareness, possibility, transition, connection, journey, trust, joy, freedom, forgiveness, reflection, gratitude and fulfillment.  Several people from my bereavement support group have participated in the past and they really found it helpful.  Hopefully, the experience will bring some peace to my life.

Ladies, I missed you yesterday!  The day completely got away from me due to my son's busy schedule - theater practice, fund raising, school activities. It will be exciting for him to turn 17 and get his driver's license in April, but I know I will also miss being in the thick of things.

I made the pad thai last night and I didn't love it, though my son did, which was great. I'm not willing to give up on it yet. I think my issues came from the coconut amino, which were teriyaki flavored. They didn't have regular, and maybe that's in my head. I'm going to make pork chops from the Whole30 book today - I'll you know how it goes.

@Jessica NG one of my greatest challenges around Whole30 has always been the coffee issue. I always loved a hazelnut with cream and sugar. For Whole30 I would drink coconut milk, but it's surely not the same and very hard to travel. Nutpods is the closest thing I've found that works for a creamer substitute (auto correct keeps wanting to make it NOTEPADS!!)  It is the one thing that has made it much easier for me to stay on Whole30. Coffee is usually my first thing I add back, and it's a downhill slide from there. Note: I usually drink 1-2 8oz. cups of coffee a day. And it's very low in calories which is a bonus!

@browneyedbeauty, the fact that you can eat steak and not feel guilty does make things better, doesn't it? :) I'm glad you are loving swing shift. It sounds like things are lining up for you!

@IronGirlTrixie I hope you are having a great time dancing this weekend, and not getting into too much trouble ;)   I wouldn't necessarily say that I love to clean when I'm eating well, but I do have a clearer head, and I'm willing to do what needs to get done. When I'm not eating well, I let things slide for far too long. For instance, I have a large number of light bulbs that needed replacing in ceiling fixtures, and yesterday I overcame my laziness and changed them all. I'm very tempted to get on this clothing purge. I think if I get ride of everything I don't love I will have very little left!!

@MizRik So glad you popped in here! I know all too well how hard it is to get back on the wagon once you've been off. For me it's as much physical at mental. My habits are so ingrained from years of eating sugar that once I try it, the sugar dragon comes back stronger than before. Please keep checking in and let us know if we can help in anyway!

@mhemm are you doing?

@Laurie because I didn't follow Whole30 perfectly in Charleston, today would be day 5 for me. I'm going to really focus on being on track 100% when I'm at home in NJ and VA, but give myself some grace around dressings and sauces when I'm on the road. The more good choices I make, the stronger I feel!  I love your plan for the walking meditation. I've done a Labyrinth walk several times, and I liked that a lot. Please share with us how that is going for you! I think my biggest things I'm going to work on food wise right now is cutting down a bit on the fruit, and not eating later in the night. I'm not hungry at that time, and it's a bad habit I'd like to break.

Wishing everyone a peaceful Sunday!

@Laurie, I am here and on Day 21.  I just dusted off my old reintro thread from way way back and will probably start transitioning my postings to that thread.  I'm starting to turn my attention to what comes next.  Similar to you, I've working on setting goals in 3 month increments this year, then doing a reassessment.  Jan-Feb-March for me is about setting a really solid foundation for the rest of the year.  I'm doing a Whole30 + some very focused slow reintros for much of that time while otherwise maintaining mostly Whole30 eating, plus I'm trying to return to running and also trying to get yoga in twice a week.  In March, I'll reassess how I'm doing and make whatever adjustments are needed.  Your garden walking group sounds really interesting.  I just love Japanese gardens.  Such beauty!  For me, getting up into the mountains has a similar effect.  I feel better as soon as I'm out in the wilderness.  Big hugs to you.

Good luck everyone!

@browneyedbeauty Really glad the swing shift is working well for you. Your longer term career plans sounded well-thought-out, and I am impressed with your initiative.

@MizRik I'll second Cassie in urging you to check in here! I'd miss you if you didn't! :D

@Laurie I love your plans for the first three months of the year and I admire your courage and commitment. Thank you for sharing. Since you asked who was on a Whole30: I am! I'm not really counting the days, since I intend to stay with a strict Whole30 until I get a handle on my FODMAP issues, but I do know that January 20 is my day 31. Looking at a calendar, that puts me at... day 26 today. Good grief! I had no idea I was that close to completing my second Whole30! Huh. I plan to weigh myself on January 20 and then continue on with another Whole 30.

I had some doubts as to whether my burning stomach really was caused by FODMAPS, but now I think it is, mainly because I ate some homemade sauerkraut while with my parents (my gift to them for Christmas, so I know the ingredients ;)) and the burning sensation increased markedly. Fermented foods are recommended for FODMAP issues, but cabbage is NOT. Plainly even fermented cabbage can still be problematic, since it was for me. I also notice that every time I eat Epic jerky, the burning increases slightly, probably because of the celery powder that is in it. Celery is also on the avoid list for FODMAP issues. Anyway, the variation in my symptoms tracks so exactly with any consumption of FODMAPS that it seems likely that is the cause, not some other weirdness.

@CCLaymon Cassie, thanks for explaining about Nutpods! Nuts are on the avoid list for FODMAP issues, but once my gut has healed, I will try Nutpods in my tea. :D

I am really struggling.  I have not been doing w30, and that's ok, but I'm really struggling to even be Paleo at this point.  Why is it SO HARD?!?!?!  Hubs has been really successful, he is on day 8.  I know what he is going through, but I know he feels better than I do right now.  The Dragon is a beast that knows no bounds.  I have been eating a lot of great, compliant or mostly compliant food as I am still cooking with hubs in mind, but I am eating cookies and drinking soda, too.:(  Maybe the delivery of our new range today will help.  Right now I am making French toast because we are all home due to the ice storm...

I'm so proud of all of you for carrying on with the courage & tenacity that you have been!  What a strong group of folks!

@mhemm - I struggle to eat right when not on a Whole 30 too, which is silly because I feel so much better sticking to Paleo.  I am not and will never be a person who can have just one cookie no matter how long I do this.  I don't think there will ever be true freedom for me.  Hope you are able to get back on track and feel good again.

@mhemm Hang in there, Melissa! Remember that many important things in life require repeated attempts before we succeed. You'll get back on track! (Although I agree that the Sugar Dragon is one ferocious beast! Mine was roaring last night. I think it is all the kombucha I drank while up with my parents.)

Ok so today is Monday and being a long weekend for me I cooked all weekend and boy I'm tired...lol.  Friday night started my bone broth and let that cook through most of the day Saturday.  Took all the meat off the short ribs for vegetable beef soup the next day and froze 1 quart in the freezer.  Sunday, I made a double batch of mayo and poached chicken breasts and made chicken salad with organic red seedless grapes, onion celery, and walnuts and added the homemade mayo, and of course had to taste it and yummyyy!!!.  Then the next thing to tackle was the soup with bone broth.  Saute'd onion garlic and celery in olive oil, then added can of organic tomatoes, frozen spinach, peas and carrots and some white potatoes, viola vegetable beef soup.  Today being Monday I didn't want to but forced myself to make my breakfast salad consisting of hard boiled eggs, avocado, tomatoes, onion, fresh lemon juice and compliant chicken apple sausage saute'd and fresh basil chopped up in it, another yum!  Weekends are usually my prep for the week so I have breakfast salad and cut up cantelope for a few days, chicken salad for a few lunches or dinners whichever my heart desires.  I find prepping on the weekend makes the week go so much easier!  Then I got thinking in my head (scary thing lol)  Someone should open a whole30 café!  a pipe dream maybe but a thought because this way of life is becoming so popular!!!  Hope everyone has a GREAT week and thanks for being a great support group for me!

@mhemm Melissa, do you remember this article? http://whole30.com/2015/02/second-whole30/  It's all about why a 2nd whole30 isn't always as easy. I can only speak from my experience, but I don't get rid of the cravings unless I get all the junk out of my system. So a little sugar is like poison for me. Here's the thing: I have done two bitter, angry, resentful Whole30's. I did not lose weight, and I did not feel particularly better in any way. For me, it's a mindset about how excited I am to feel better. I think until you get to that point, it's going to be really tough. It took me four Whole 30's (over two years) to get to a point where I'd rather just stay on because i feel that much better. The booze and dessert are not worth feeling bad tomorrow and struggling to get back on board. I'm wondering if you can give yourself a break and be kind to yourself until you can feel more excited about it? Stay here with us and we'll cheer you on!

@JulieP757 thank you for checking in! Tell us more about your journey!

@PatriciaNY I am SO JEALOUS of your devotion to the cook up!!  I need to do that.  I think there are some paleo food trucks that fit the bill - I believe there is one by Higs in the northwest! Which does not help us at all :( 

My son will now only eat chicken if it's pad thai, which is hilarious because he's never even eaten real pad thai :D I made the pork chops, but didn't include the applesauce (fruit and meat doesn't have a lot of appeal to me) so it was pretty bland. Can't blame the recipe though! I need to find some more go-to recipes! 

I don't have a lot to report here, except to say that overall I feel like I'm handling stress and anxiety much better. It's not that I don't experience those emotions, but they are not causing me to go off the rails (and eat ding dongs).  I used to be very preoccupied with mistakes and how other people where judging me, and now I feel like it's easier for me to let it go.  Also, I started to learn hand lettering. I like to do crafts, and was looking for something new to occupy me at night so I don't become Snacky McSnackerson. Has anyone else taken up some kind of productive hobby? @IronGirlTrixie PG only - no shenanigans! :D

@NoMoreCrunchyCravings Emily we're wondering how you're doing on the trip??!

@CCLaymon YES! I love having steak and fat, it definitely makes things MUCH easier.

@Jessica NG Thank you! I'm trying my best to stay focused on the future and build better habits so I can accomplish my goals and switch careers.

It's day 15 for me, officially half way there! WOO HOO! Still not experiencing bad sugar cravings, which surprises me since I usually have very little self-control over my sugar consumption. I've been avoiding all fruit in addition to the no sugar added rule and I'm curious if that's part of it, or if sugar is just an all or nothing craving for me - I crave it when I have it, don't seem to miss it when I don't. I'm curious to see what happens during the reintroduction period.

I've noticed more consistent energy levels, but I wouldn't say I'm overly energetic. But, I'm not sleeping well at night right now, so considering my sleep patterns have not changed for the better, but I do not need two cups of coffee to get to my normal baseline of alertness, I'd consider that a pretty huge NSV and I'm only half way through.

I have less headaches and the ones I do get are way less severe.

I have noticed my waist is slightly slimmer, but I usually have to "diet" for 3-4 months before I start seeing the results I'm seeing this week.

My skin is slightly clearer than before. I am way less congested than normal, even still carrying around crap in my chest from that cold I had two weeks ago.

And finally this week my digestive tract seems to be leveling out and normalizing - I don't remember the last time my belly felt this great.

All this and I'm only at the halfway point.

I've been cooking 2-3 hours a day, which is too much for my personal taste. Time to whip out some well fed recipes and make some food which will last a couple days, and I'm getting sick of my vegetable options, which is a little discouraging since I am mixing it up quite a bit (for me at least). Need to find some quick, tasty, veggie sides so I'm not eating Costco frozen veggies 1-2 times a day.

But all things considered, I'm pleased with where I'm at and happy with my momentum.

@CCLaymon Shenanigans?! Me?! Never. ;)   

I  managed to stay on plan all weekend at dance camp! I had many good dances and experienced that dance high! I haven't had it in awhile. It's like floating on air and it's magical.  I went to bed tired but satisfied. Completely satisfied. I'm also looking at where I can dance to that band again. It was that good! 

I'm on day 11. 

@mhemm been there done that. At some point you'll be fed up with it and figure out what's best for you. It's taken me about 4 tries and I'm not gonna lie I keep randomly thinking about those cookies or that bottle of wine I passed in the market yesterday. I really had to have a chat with myself on it. 

Put on a pair of capri's today that haven't fit comfortably since 2014, they fit like they used to (which were still a little tight) YAY for day 16!

Much needed since today I seem to have hit the "I dream of junk food" phase, and a grande soy caramel mocha with no whip from Starbucks sounds *REALLY* good on this rainy, dreary Seattle day.

@browneyedbeauty and @IronGirlTrixie Yay for NSVs!!

My good news of the day: I finally did a consult today with a gal who I hoped would help me fix my pesky shoulder problem. She not only thinks we're going to fix that, but also a nagging performs problem and plantar fasciitis that has been plaguing me for years. Besides my real job I'm a physical therapist, so I think I'm pretty in tune to reality and I have a lot of confidence in her. Now I'll just have to follow through - the though part! @higs I'll let you know how it goes!

Archived