November Whole30...The Saga Continues

CCLaymon

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 2:55 AM, Laurie said:

My focus for Jan, Feb and March  - fight the depression, honor Steve's live by living,  exercise (joined Planet Fitness - low key and inexpensive - also a way to get me out of my apt.), return to bereavement support  group,  Whole 30ish food (I am not sure I will stay on Whole 30 for all 3 months).  For these 3 months, I  joined a special program - Stroll For Well-Being/Healing Garden Walks - participants (people with depression/illness, caretakers, veterans), - led by program coordinator and a therapist.  We meet once a month for 3 months   The program is based on a study that people who walked the Japanese Gardens twice a week for 6 weeks had reduced feelings of sadness, hopelessness, fear and loneliness, and greater feelings of happiness and joy at the end of the program. In between the monthly meetings, we are required to walk the gardens.  We are given a guide book with  great information, as well as space to journal our thoughts.  The themes to focus on during the walks are awareness, possibility, transition, connection, journey, trust, joy, freedom, forgiveness, reflection, gratitude and fulfillment.  Several people from my bereavement support group have participated in the past and they really found it helpful.  Hopefully, the experience will bring some peace to my life.

Laurie - thank you so much for sharing part I of your story. We are here to listen when you are ready to share parts II and III, if you decide to share them. I am so glad to have read about your bereavement group and the work you're doing with the Japanese gardens. Each time you get out of the house, go to the gym, the grocery store, whatever, you're making strides at regaining a tiny bit of normalcy. Good on you for doing the hard work to move you forward.

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 3:31 PM, Jessica NG said:

The plan for going forward is still being formulated.

Jessica - I'm so sorry to hear about the struggles with your mom. Please know that I'm sending prayers and good vibes through the universe for health, strength, and the best outcomes possible.

@CCLaymon Cassie - great headshots! You look wonderful!!

Everybody - I've really enjoyed reading about all the events of the last several weeks, to see the problem solving and the tenacity, the decision-making whether it led you to W30 or not, and can't wait to update you all on my last three weeks as well!

I've gotten my son and his situation at school sorted out enough that I can now go be with my mother. I'm heading up to Maryland tomorrow morning. My mom has been improving ever since they started an antibiotic. There had been no signs of infection, and antibiotics are hard on the kidneys, so they'd been holding off. But nothing else was helping, so they decided to try an antibiotic. And it was clearly needed, since 6 hours after the first dose, my mom started improving. If she keeps improving as she has been, she may be ready for discharge to a rehab center sometime this week. I'm hoping. :)

While I'm in Maryland, I won't be online. I'll miss you ladies! I'll probably be away for roughly a week. I'll post again when I get home. :wub:

@NoMoreCrunchyCravings Emily! So glad you're back. Can't wait to hear about your adventures.

How is everyone progressing into February? I was going to start strict Whole 30 on Wednesday on the first, but I'm basically doing it now anyway so I started counting today. February has 28 days so by the end of the month I'll have my 30. My husband said he's doing the Whole30 for lent. I'll believe it when I see it :P

@Jessica NG safe travels to you and praying your mom continues to improve.

I think I'm at about 80% whole 30. At least for the past few days. I'm taking it as part of life after whole 30 and I like the idea of every meal being one step. So lunch is on plan. Pretty sure dinner will be too. I know that dairy is definitely out. Most likely wheat is too. The combination of the two is disastrous. My mind is a little scattered today so I'm putting plans in place to help sort that out including getting back to Konmari. 

@IronGirlTrixie I have been doing a little Konmari myself! (though I never read the book.) I have quite a pile to go to clothing donation, and after clearing off my bookshelf this week I have a big pile to send to the VA house, and 4 bags of garbage. It's not even a big bookcase! I also cleared off a shelf in one of my closets.

I'm jonesing for almond butter - it's probably been a week since I had it. Also, I'm down 3 pounds this week. I'm struggling because I'm thinking, "SERIOUSLY, my one vice is almond butter and I need to give that up, too?" (If I want to continue to lose weight.) Frustrating.

I'm not doing any heavy exercising right now. I'm doing shoulder and hip rehab, and my coach said to take a break from exercise until I get everything moving the way it should. I was like, "If you INSIST!"  LOL!

Hope everyone is doing well!

Well, I found some inspiration in a coat closet design and a friend is going to help me with it. Motivation to get the place together before she comes over. Not gonna lie. It's a mess. I'm also gonna get to that room that I talked about before but never did. Oops! Gonna throw some meals in and work while it cooks up. 

OH! I remembered another question that was helpful besides does it spark joy? If you saw it on the store today would you buy it?  

Day 30!!!

The next two days are my weekend and I'm not weighing or measuring myself so here's my victories -

- Down a belt notch on my work pants, all other clothes are looser. So I know I've lost weight and inches.

- The skin on my face, chest and arms is way less red. I had NO idea how much inflammation was contributing to all that redness, I thought it was a sunburn which didn't completely heal and Rosacea.

- Way less bloating, cramping and stomach issues. Thanks to discovering an egg intolerance I no longer have daily diarrhea.

- Area's of my body I already love (chest, arms, legs) are way more defined. I did not work out at all this month other than my normal walking at my day job.

- Less belly flab, more definition than I've ever had as an adult.

- Less headaches, headaches I did have were way less severe.

My only 'disappointment' is that my energy and sleep did not improve. However I am at the same level of energy I had prior to Whole30 without my usual intake of caffeine to sustain me at that level, so I consider that a win.

All-in-all I'm very pleased with my results, and look forward to implementing most of the Whole30 principles in my everyday life! Looking forward to legume day tomorrow, and getting a Starbucks ;) my February plan is to-do a complete 10 day reintro (minus dairy since I already know that's out) then move towards figuring out a sustainable plan to keep eating clean. Cooking everyday does not bring me joy, so I will need to plan menu's better.

19 hours ago, IronGirlTrixie said:

I think I'm at about 80% whole 30. At least for the past few days. I'm taking it as part of life after whole 30 and I like the idea of every meal being one step. So lunch is on plan. Pretty sure dinner will be too. I know that dairy is definitely out. Most likely wheat is too. The combination of the two is disastrous. My mind is a little scattered today so I'm putting plans in place to help sort that out including getting back to Konmari. 

@IronGirlTrixie and everyone else here on this thread, I must tell you, you all give me strength and hope! It may seem silly, but when I'm diving face first into a cheesecake (ahem, like *that* didn't happen yesterday :huh:) I come here to this forum to gain insight on why my choices may not be the best choices, or why I am making good decisions. Not that I can't rationally understand that eating an entire cheesecake by myself isn't a good idea, but having the reinforcement from you all, not only through your actual encouragement and camaraderie, but also through your own personal experiences... it's amazing! So, thank you. I really appreciate it!

Anyhow, I haven't downloaded my photos yet from my trip, so I'll have to save that for another time, but I have caught up on all of the forum posts here on this thread that I missed while I was away, and I've given lots of thought to where I want to be food-wise now that I'm home and able to have a more controlled environment. Previously I thought I'd be doing a strict W30 starting today after returning home from traveling for the last month, but I realize that I'm just not ready to commit to that as of this moment. Perhaps tomorrow or the next day I'll be down, but for now, I'm not there yet in my brain. Like @IronGirlTrixie's post above, I've been about 80% w30 since I've been home. My meals that I prepped on Monday for the rest of the week are all compliant and to template, but I can't seem to stick with just them as they are... like yesterday's cheesecake debacle (why the heck did I even have it in the house to begin with?! And thank goodness I had the control to throw the damned thing right into the trash can before I got too much past two slices worth. And theoretically, I was eating my Meal 1 within the first hour of waking...:wub:). But then I ate some chips, twizzlers, and caramels that a coworker had brought into work yesterday. I don't know why I did - they weren't something amazing that I'd never have a chance to try again and thus needed to indulge in. They were everyday grocery store items that I know already how they taste. So why did I feel the need to desicrate my compliant tuna salad with homemade mayo, half a baked potato and a pile of steamed Brussels sprouts with noncompliant Funions? And was it really necessary to have bites of confectionary items between bites of scrambled eggs with onions and jalapeno sausage, roast potato and steamed veggie medley? I love the foods that I eat when they're w30 compliant. I feel good when I eat them. I go to all the trouble of making them to template. Why, then, must I adulterate them with crap?

Such is the question I must consider as I continue on my journey.

In other news, this morning I'm making hamburger patties in the frying pan, roasting purple and koimo potatoes in the oven as we speak, and will be baking chicken thighs shortly, in an effort to have basics prepped for my meals which I will continue to attempt to keep compliant in the coming days.

How is everyone else? @browneyedbeauty - awesome NSVs!!! @CCLaymon - good on you with the decluttering. I have to get into that in a serious way very soon. @Jessica NG - I know you may not have access to the internet, but just wanted to check in to see how things were going with your mom in case you did. @mhemm - thank you for that website about quitting sugar - I'll have to browse through it more in the next week or so, hopefully to help me as I really try to quit my sugar/simple carb addictions.

Ladies..... I'm not trying to upset the apple cart here but I am going to have to move your thread to the post Whole30 section as there is lots of mention of off plan foods, weighing scales etc., & whilst some of the talk is Whole30 related it can be confusing for any newbies stumbling upon the thread if it's left where it is in the 'Join the Whole30' section.

Please feel free to continue posting for support, tips, recipes & accountability etc - all that's changing is the location of the thread...!

Thanks for you understanding.

I've been following you guys, just haven't had a whole lot to say, I guess.  @NoMoreCrunchyCravings - I could have written your post (minus the cheesecake - mine is soda&cookies)!  The struggle to find balance is so real - I am being swallowed up by sugar and am really angry about it.:angry:  I continue to make pretty strong choices, but it's the extras that seem to get me.  A work in progress for sure - but I so want that feeling back that I had after about 2 weeks of w30 eating!!!  Hubs is done - he did around 20+ days, but is going on a business trip next week, so wanted to start re-introduction this week.  It is interesting to me how different everyone's vices are!  Keep up all the hard work guys!  I love coming to this thread for motivation and support!

12 minutes ago, CCLaymon said:

Ladies, I'm going to admit it's a bit hard to find us now!

If you're set up to get notifications of new posts on this thread you should just be able to click on those and it will bring you directly to this thread - which is exactly what I have just done when i was notified that you'd posted.... No searching or finding required!

I just made a quick link to this section of the forum putting it in the same place that the other one was for me. 

I experimented today with a meal. It used to be a go to one for me before whole30. Guess what? It doesn't taste anywhere near as good or as satisfying. Surprise.... Wah wah.  Yes, I'm practicing for when I won't have as much control over what's available and learning where / when to say no,that's not worth it even if the brain is saying sure it is. 

I suspect another restart in my future day mid-February. 

On the Konmari front, a leetle bit was done. I'm mastering baby steps ;)

I'll still drop by, even with a new location!!!

Day 1 of reintro went pretty well. I had some gas, and a little bloating last night and this morning, I'll experiment with soy later down the road to confirm if that was the cause. Had a tall soy mocha from Starbucks with half the mocha pumps and half caramel pumps. It was good, but it was also satisfying and I did not crave sugary foods or off plan foods the rest of the day. I consider this a huge win. I normally get grande coffee's with added flavors, so I was very please that I was able to reduce the size, and amount of pumps of flavor, and still enjoy it without it becoming "food with no brakes". I also bought two seasonings with added sugar, however the amount for both was less than 1G per serving, this is acceptable to me for now. This morning I still feel satisfied from my coffee yesterday and am not craving sugar. So far it seems being more mindful or my intake is working without sending me into a spiral like with other programs in the past. 

This morning I went back to full compliance, and so far so good!!!

@browneyedbeauty I have a question - even though you aren't craving sugar, are you craving a soy mocha today?  That is my biggest challenge. I'll say ok, I'm just going to have this for a treat, and I do well with it. But then I want it every day. Let us know how it goes for you!

I've been cooking more this week with Rick home - chocolate chili and pistachio chicken. It's nice to have compliant leftovers! I'm going to dinner with friends tonight. They thoughtfully suggested a restaurant where I could find something to eat, and sent the menu ahead of time. Isn't that awesome?

What does everyone have planned for the weekend? My whole day on Saturday is sewing costumes for my son's high school production of Beauty and the Beast! They have a professional costume designer, so I love working with her and learning from her.  I have a big conference with the week before the show but I always schedule my flights so I'm home in time to sew!

Plans this weekend include some cooking, costume making, house cleaning and sorting. Oh and some dancing because I gotta work out sometime! Sounds and awful lot like your weekend. Although the costumes aren't as elaborate. 

I find that once I have a 'treat' whatever it is (aka off roading)... that if I don't force myself back to clean eating...  My mind takes over and continues on it's crazy rampage to destroy the good work I've done. Yes, this is where I am right now. It's crazy. There's a battle going on inside me about this right now. I've got a few days to get my act together before another adventure. Gotta get on it. 

@CCLaymon No I haven't craved a soy mocha or Starbucks since I had it on Wednesday. And I haven't really craved sugar at all since Wednesday. I have relaxed the no sugar added rule, in addition to the spices I bought which I mentioned in my last post, I did add some non-compliant non dairy creamer to my coffee yesterday, I mixed it with my hazelnut nutpod and that worked well, took the bitter out of the coffee without overloading my drink with sugar. So far, eating sugar has not led to a food without brakes situation. Today I am drinking tea, since I don't need anything sugary added for taste, and I will reserve coffee for days when I *really* need it.

Yesterday I forgot to add fat to all my meals, (we also ate out at Red Robin for lunch) and while I didn't crave sugar, I devoured 2/3rd's of the bag of sweet potato chips we bought for our bible study on Wed night. Lesson learned, any kind of chip can become food without brakes for me, and not adding fat leads to snacking in the middle of the day.

Today is another fully compliant day, then tomorrow I reintroduce non-gluten grains. We have basmati rice, quinoa and tortilla chips I can eat which fall in this category, Since chips are FWB for me, I'll probably make some rice and quinoa to test.

Over the weekend I'm just working and cooking. ;) All you ladies sound like you have productive plans!

How's everyone doing? It's been busy here and well, I've been off roading. Working to get myself back on track. Or at least closer to my whole 30 ways. I think breakfast might have been my first compliant meal in 4 days. O_o.   I'm learning things for sure and totally feel crappy. 

Today is a RESTART for me February 7th, birthday was last week and went to Texas De Brazil for dinner.  That place is a carnivores dream Salad Bar is loaded with compliant veggies just have to be aware of what your putting on the plate at the salad bar, they come out with the meat on spits and oh lordie ladies it's yummy, again I struggled to be compliant but slipped and my restart is today!  Did the link change or something for this feed? because I read above about something changing.

I got through my six days of working in a row (two 10.5 hour shifts in a row as a nurse practitioner in my psych hospital, four 12.5 hour shifts in a row as an RN in the trauma intensive care unit in my acute care hospital) without much of a challenge. I'd prepped a barrage of compliant-to-template tupperwares with eggs, chicken, Aidell's, other proteins, potatoes, Brussels sprouts, steamed broccoli/cauliflower/carrots, baked Yukon gold/purple/koimo potatoes, etc... and only really ate them for the first two hospitals. I went totally off the rails for Super Bowl and the days surrounding it, combined with going out for drinks and tapas Saturday night after work with two friends from my graduate program, then to a Thai restaurant with my husband and best friend last night. Sigh. If I'm not ready, I guess I'm not ready.

So today for breakfast I'm eating one of my compliant tupperwares and am hoping to have at least 2/3 of my day w30. I'd really like to be ready to do another strict Whole 30 or even Whole 14 sometime soon, but I'm just going to play it as I go and see when I'll be ready to commit and not beat myself up before then for not being able to stay 100% compliant.

I'd planned on a walk today but it's raining and dreary out, so I think I'll run errands instead. What does everyone else have in their plans? How has everyone else been over the weekend?

Archived