November Whole30...The Saga Continues

CCLaymon

23 hours ago, PatriciaNY said:

Today is a RESTART for me February 7th, birthday was last week and went to Texas De Brazil for dinner.  That place is a carnivores dream Salad Bar is loaded with compliant veggies just have to be aware of what your putting on the plate at the salad bar, they come out with the meat on spits and oh lordie ladies it's yummy, again I struggled to be compliant but slipped and my restart is today!  Did the link change or something for this feed? because I read above about something changing.

The whole party moved from the newbie section to the post section. We're all still here. Just where to find the posts changed. :) 

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, NoMoreCrunchyCravings said:

So today for breakfast I'm eating one of my compliant tupperwares and am hoping to have at least 2/3 of my day w30. I'd really like to be ready to do another strict Whole 30 or even Whole 14 sometime soon, but I'm just going to play it as I go and see when I'll be ready to commit and not beat myself up before then for not being able to stay 100% compliant.

I'd planned on a walk today but it's raining and dreary out, so I think I'll run errands instead. What does everyone else have in their plans? How has everyone else been over the weekend?

I'm planning to go back to a strict W30 in about 10 days. In the meantime, I'll do my best to be a clean eater. 

I wanted to take and post a photo of the cornucopia of produce and fish that I'd bought at the green grocer's and the Asian market two days ago, and of all the wonderful sautéed veggies and crockpot proteins I'd made, but instead I adopted and spent several hours playing with three guinea pigs that belonged to a coworker who has been experiencing worsening asthma as a result of the little sweeties, while my groceries lay abandoned on the kitchen floor (and in the fridge, and in the freezer, as appropriate, because they're all still raw).

Today, only lunch was compliant. But it's one meal more than it would have been if I'd eaten out or had given in to *all* of my indulgences. Tomorrow I'm going to eat two compliant meals at a minimum. I'm also going to commit to exercising, which I haven't done in ages. It's supposed to snow 6-10", so if I can't go out and to the gym, I'm going to use my resistance bands, my exercise ball, and a stepper device that I have in the house and do a home workout. I need to get my body moving. My mind has been suffering, I think, from lack of exercise endorphins, and I definitely know that my mood could use a boost.

So those are my commitments. And now that I've written them out and posted them here online, they're something I need to stick to. @IronGirlTrixie What are your goals/plans to keep up with the clean eating prior to the strict W30 you plan to start later on in February?

Here are photos of my new family members - Brownie, Hazel and Waffles. :lol: Pictured appearing very curious of our new little brood is our almost-adopted cat, Mr. Meowgi, who actually belongs to our neighbor, but has a second family in us:

32795729005_09f830bc43.jpgIMG_4907[1] by NoMore CrunchyCravings, on Flickr

32642495002_fed6e6956f.jpgIMG_4911[1] by NoMore CrunchyCravings, on Flickr

31952649454_e31e1028b1.jpgIMG_4912[1] by NoMore CrunchyCravings, on Flickr

32672510651_28422fef39.jpgIMG_4915[1] by NoMore CrunchyCravings, on Flickr

32672497381_a052d08074.jpgIMG_4925[1] by NoMore CrunchyCravings, on Flickr

Still didn't cook. Did eat two compliant meals. Plus a heck of a lot of noncompliant stuff in between. Did my exercise, but not as planned... I forgot we were getting a snow storm. Not sure how many inches, but I spent about 40 minutes shoveling through a snow drift that was covering my car tonight, which my Fitbit picked up as exercise, so I'm counting it as what I'd planned to do anyhow. :ph34r:

Tomorrow and the next day are both 12.5 hour shifts at work and I'm bringing three compliant meals with me each day in the hopes that I'll have a better eating day. In the past the structure of the environment has proven helpful with staying compliant.

Wish me luck!

@NoMoreCrunchyCravings and @IronGirlTrixie I'm following along but this has been a crazy week for me!

I would say I've been 100% compliant, but I did eat store ketchup and mayo yesterday. That's the extent of my adventures!  I'm continuing to feel good, but I've not been exercising. I'm working with a therapist to resolve some shoulder and hip pain issues. She had me stop treadmill walking or elliptical. Bike and walking outdoors is ok. It's freezing in NJ (like Emily) so I'm not walking and I really don't care for a stationary bike. So there. :)

I'm going to a conference next week, and I actually signed up for gluten free meals. I would not have done that in the past, because I don't like to draw attention to myself. At this point I realize that no one really cares what I'm eating!

So, lots of challenges ahead, but I'm continuing to feel great and I have the best coping skills I've ever had. I'm not letting challenges throw me off, because the stuff I'm avoiding now always makes me feel worse instead of better.

I'll keep on checking in here ladies! Have a great weekend!

Well, I'm done with the official reintroduction. I was sick this week and had to call out at work for half of one shift, and one complete shift the next day. Because of this, I reintroduced glutinous grains over a couple days, not one.

It looks like I'm sensitive to gluten, rice, and soy products. So I will pretty much avoid these foods on a daily basis, except when eating out.

I do have an intolerance to eggs, but it appears I can have them well cooked every once in a while. I do not plan to eat eggs or dairy ever.

I'm going to stick to a mostly paleo diet. I am going to avoid added sugar when I can, but I am not going to eliminate it completely. I am also going to limit my coffee consumption.

I do need to figure out how to meal plan and prepare meals here on out because I also learned that I do not like to cook on a daily basis.

All-in-all I'm very pleased with what I learned during the last 40 days and I look forward to seeing what continues to happen with my body eating paleo long term.

@CCLaymon Good on you for ordering the gluten-free meals. No, no one will care what you're eating- do you and feel great! Take it easy on your body, too. If you've been advised not to do certain exercises, it's probably better for your body to avoid them. And with it being so freaking cold on our side of the country, being outside isn't that pleasant. Sometimes when it's really cold out, I'll "mall-walk" at the grocery store, and I can kill two birds with one stone. The employees there look at me kind of funny spending so long with just a hand basket walking up and down the aisles, but I enjoy being able to pick up a few things and use the weight of the basket as part of my modified workout. :lol:

@browneyedbeauty Sounds like you have a really good handle on what you can and cannot tolerate. It's good knowing it in order to be able to make informed choices about your intake. As far as not enjoying daily cooking, have you tried doing the batch cooking method and doing a once-per-week type of cookup? I tend to do that with my proteins, roasted veggies, and baked potatoes, and just do steamed or sautéed veggies if I want something different to add to my meals throughout the week.

I ate some tortilla chips last night and today I've had a raging headache. Not sure if it was all the salt, or corn but my body does not like those tortilla chips.

Good morning all!  I haven't posted lately been busy trying to shovel out!  Talk about exercise?  between shoveling the driveway and cleaning the snow off the roof I'm going to have arms like Arnold if this keeps up!!  had been home ill from last Wednesday just went back to work today!  And I won't drive in bad weather!  Made bone broth friday, saturday made vegetable beef soup, sunday did the breakfast salad enough to last me a couple days.  Still drinking coffee with nut pods (love those things)  Hope you all have a wonderful week!!!

I think I may have found a kind of groove that works, at least for now. I've been batch-cooking my meals still as compliant and to template to package into tupperwares and bring with me to work, and I end up eating at least two compliant meals a day on workdays (11-13 hour shifts) and at least one on days when I'm not working. And often enough, I find myself eating all three compliant meals by the time the day is over on work days, and sometimes two or three on days off.

I'm back to coffee, which I don't tend to drink a lot of when I'm doing a Whole 30, but I know that I really enjoy my coffee with cream and sugar, so I've decided that to me, that's an item that I will have most days in moderation... though admittedly on work days when it's really, really busy and I can't eat for hours and hours and I'm starving, I have more coffee than I'd like.

And I find that since I'm still eating to template for my first meals (most days), and for many of my second meals, and often enough my third meals, I'm not snacking or grazing or munching nearly as much, which has always been a huge issue for me. That's not to say that I'm not doing a little of that, but it's much reduced, and I feel better overall because of it.

How is everyone else doing? We're not nearly as active a group as when we were on the main page. I'm not sure if that's due to our thread's location now, or because we're busy!

I'm doing pretty good. Have had more headaches again this week than I'd like. Longer term testing on sugar and caffeine and I think that's the cause. Due to poor planning and grocery shopping this week, I have not been as deliberate about eating to template as much as I'd like so there's been less control over what I eat and that could also be causing the headaches. 

We ate out every meal last Wed/Thurs when we were off work, and we both agreed that we like eating clean better. I could just still be recovering from that since I haven't been able to fully detox the effects of last weekend. 

Either way, I'm still plugging along here. Check in almost daily but without many others posters I haven't been posting as much.

I've completely fallen off the wagon and I need to do another whole30. But I don't think I'm mentally prepared to do it just yet. Lots of things going on here at the moment between coming back from an adventure without internet and a car accident a day or two after. I'm physically fine. Mentally I'm a little beat up and I'm working through it. 

Hello! I've been home for nearly 2 weeks, but focused on getting back into my routines and not getting online a lot. I completed my third Whole30 on Saturday (Feb 18), and I've been thinking about what my next step is. I don't feel ready for re-intro quite yet. I have many days now with no burning stomach - yay! - but there are still quite a few days when either my stomach feels burny, or else my small intestine feels burny, or else my large intestine is gassy. My assessment is that the FODMAP issues are improving as I stay away from FODMAP foods, but full recovery is still several months away. At least. So I want to give my gut a chance to heal fully before I do much experimenting.

However, three Whole30s in a row feels like enough to me. I don't want to do a fourth.

So, this is my plan: I will eat Whole30 going forward without being officially on a Whole30.

What this means is that when I do feel ready to test some foods, I can do so without having to wait until I finish out a fourth or a fifth Whole30. It also means I can get on the scale when I want to, not that I plan to do a lot of that. I think once a week or even every two weeks will be just fine. (I seem to be steadily losing about a pound a week. I've lost 18 pounds so far from my high water mark before my first Whole30 last November.)

I'm finding I really miss cream in my hot tea. I don't need sugar and don't want to re-intro it. Just cream by itself would be lovely. I can't use coconut cream instead. I tried that and the FODMAPS in it made me really ill the next morning. I'm also supposed to avoid nuts because of FODMAPs, so I can't use Nutpods. I have no desire to add back in actual milk. I know it makes me gain weight/fat. But I think a small amount of heavy cream in my tea might actually work. However, I am not ready to test it yet. But I want to be free to test it as soon as I am ready.

At some point I'd like to test butter that isn't clarified, but I'm in no hurry. I'd also like to test rice and soy sauce, because I'd like to be able to have sushi every now and then. But I'm in no hurry for that either. Other than that, I'm fine with eating Whole30 all the time.

News on my mom: her kidneys actually started working again! I cannot tell you how happy that makes me; so, so happy! She was discharged from the hospital to a rehab center. She was in the hospital for 18 days and got very weak during that time. So now she needs to build up enough strength in her legs again to be able to stand and use her walker. It is going to take her a while. When I talk with her on the phone, she sounds tired but in good spirits. My dad sounds more worn down, which does not surprise me. It is hard work being the support person.

Haven't been on here for a good while - hubs did awesome and has been fairly compliant post 30-days.  We plan on giving up our SAD for Lent.  Starting next week we are whole 30 for 6 weeks.  I've gotten way off track and am paying the price, so I am eager to start over!

@CCLaymon Cassie, before Christmas we were both wondering how to cut a whole chicken into pieces. I think I've found a good how-to video! :D

https://www.nytimes.com/video/dining/100000002155362/cutting-up-a-whole-chicken.html

My daughter wants more variation in our chicken dinners, and I am with her on that! I tend to do same-ol-same-ol roast. So I'm going to gratify her wish for more variation tonight. But I need to cut the chicken up in order to do it. So I went searching and found the second video I looked at (link above) to be very helpful and confidence inducing.

This is the recipe I'm going to try: http://www.everydaymaven.com/2013/lemon-chicken-breast/

Wish me luck!

2 hours ago, Jessica NG said:

@CCLaymon Cassie, before Christmas we were both wondering how to cut a whole chicken into pieces. I think I've found a good how-to video! :D

https://www.nytimes.com/video/dining/100000002155362/cutting-up-a-whole-chicken.html

My daughter wants more variation in our chicken dinners, and I am with her on that! I tend to do same-ol-same-ol roast. So I'm going to gratify her wish for more variation tonight. But I need to cut the chicken up in order to do it. So I went searching and found the second video I looked at (link above) to be very helpful and confidence inducing.

This is the recipe I'm going to try: http://www.everydaymaven.com/2013/lemon-chicken-breast/

Wish me luck!

That's the video I use every time! 

The spicy lemon chicken was really good! I'll be cooking it again for sure. :D Oh, and I had little difficulty cutting up the chicken. My hands got really cold. I had to stop and warm them under warm water part way through. But I found all the right places to cut and it came apart into separate pieces pretty nicely. So, yay!

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 1:31 AM, browneyedbeauty said:

Either way, I'm still plugging along here. Check in almost daily but without many others posters I haven't been posting as much.

So glad to hear you're plugging away. Keep up with the updates when you can - keeps the motivation going! :wub:

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 7:49 PM, IronGirlTrixie said:

I've completely fallen off the wagon and I need to do another whole30. But I don't think I'm mentally prepared to do it just yet. Lots of things going on here at the moment between coming back from an adventure without internet and a car accident a day or two after. I'm physically fine. Mentally I'm a little beat up and I'm working through it. 

I think you've been through a lot and will be able to handle another W30 when your body and mind give you signals. If that time isn't now, don't force it. Keep checking back in to the forums for support and inspiration! B)

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 8:36 PM, Jessica NG said:

News on my mom: her kidneys actually started working again! I cannot tell you how happy that makes me; so, so happy! She was discharged from the hospital to a rehab center. She was in the hospital for 18 days and got very weak during that time. So now she needs to build up enough strength in her legs again to be able to stand and use her walker. It is going to take her a while. When I talk with her on the phone, she sounds tired but in good spirits. My dad sounds more worn down, which does not surprise me. It is hard work being the support person.

Jessica, I'm so glad to hear that your mom is improving and is in rehab now. It's so stressful to have a sick loved one, but with her on the mend and getting stronger, I hope your dad's strength will have a chance to build back up. I'm also really interested in hearing how your w30ish diet goes. It sounds like if you can make it work with those few add-ins, that would be a really good groove to maintain.

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 11:40 AM, Jessica NG said:

Thank you for this- I'm going to check it out. I likely won't use it a whole bunch since I most often buy my chickens pre-cut from the butcher in the grocery store, and more often than not, I just go for a package of bone in-skin on thighs or quarters. But it's a good resource to have on hand nonetheless. My favorite way to cook chicken thighs or quarters is to roast them in a baking casserole dish - just lay them skin side up, then sprinkle on garlic and onion powders, paprika, salt, cracked black pepper, and sometimes mustard powder or cumin or cinnamon or garam masala for a different "international" kind of flavor, then bake until the skins are crispy and the meat is cooked through.

I made meatballs tonight and they were delicious!

https://www.tastesoflizzyt.com/paleo-italian-meatballs/

I used simply 3 pounds of pastured ground beef, not the beef/turkey mixture in the recipe, and I did not include the garlic (FODMAPs). I switched out the coconut flour (more FODMAPS) for arrowroot instead.

I served a green salad, as well as baked spinach, on the side. Tomorrow I'm going to  serve leftover meatballs in tomato sauce over zucchini zoodles. I got a julienne peeler today! I'm curious to see if I'll like the zoodles. I've never had them before.

Edited to add: I haven't yet tested any non-Whole30 foods. I'll let you ladies know when I do. ;)

Archived