Fellow Canadians

jplvernon

Hi! I'm Canadian too! What sort of ingredients were you having trouble finding? I found things like ghee, coconut oil, and light-tasting olive oil (for mayo) at Real Canadian Superstore. I also noticed that a lot of the more unusual ingredients (eg. coconut aminos) are available from amazon.ca. But, for myself, as I live in a very small town with only one, not very well stocked, grocery store, I will probably be trying for a really simple Whole 30, using mostly just basic meats and produce that I can purchase here (I had to drive two hours to the big city to go to Superstore). I don't even expect to ever find compliant bacon or some of those kinds of things :)

Good luck in your Whole 30!

• Moderators

While having those 'fun' ingredients can be nice, its definitely not necessary... you can make your own ghee if you want that particular item.  As for aminos, you can leave them out and add a touch more salt to most recipes that call for it.

The 'bars' that people talk about all the time (epic, rx, nakd) are not necessary to have for a successful Whole30 and often times people find they're more trouble than they're worth.

I've done numerous Whole30's and I've never used these items (altho they are available where I live or close to)... As Michelle said above, meat, vegetables, fats and seasonings are the only things you truly need to be successful.

Hello, I'm also in Canada and have done one Whole30. I'm not sure where you live but if you're close to a big city then Whole Foods is a great resource. You can get quality meat there that is compliant and although it seems expensive in the end I saved money as I was eating out less. I've also found some handy things at Noah's Natural Foods like coconut oil and compliant bacon from a local farm. Other than that I grocery store hop to find the things I'm looking for at Independent Market, Longo's etc. I couldn't find a lot of the sauces people talk about in the forums but either made my own, or just used spices for flavouring things. Good luck and if you have anything specific you're looking for I can let you know if I've come across it. 

Archived