2017 Whole9 WholeYear (3rd Annual)

kirkor

18 hours ago, jmcbn said:

I  got a Happiness Planner this year. It's basically a Diary, but apart from the usual daily schedule it has sections each day for:

Today's focus

Today's exercise

What am I excited for today

What am I grateful for today

What am I looking forward to tomorrow

To Do List

Meals

Observations

Then at the end of each month there is a review section where you score your month in terms of happiness, mental health, exercise, nutrition etc and get a total overall score which you are looking to improve each month, plus you detail things you came up against, how you overcame them, things you learned etc. And you finish off by setting both personal & work goals for the month ahead. Obviously January is the first month I've used it so I only just looked over the review & goal planning section last night but I think it will be a great tool to use throughout the year to learn, explore & really grow. I've not been great at journalling every day in January though, so this is definitely going to be one of my areas of focus for the month of February.

I have a Commit 30 planner. Sounds like it's similar to yours. Journaling is something I'm horrible at, as well as goal setting. Have trouble getting specific about goals. Maybe it's thinking specific... I don't know, just get a mental block, even trying to use the forms available on the whole30 website. The planner has helped, though, I do well for awhile then not so well for awhile. Was going to go to a friend's Valentine tea on the 11th, but have decided not to. Really couldn't figure out how to work it into my reintro phase. Plus some family health issues came up. Honestly, as much as I'd like to have gone, I'm a bit relieved to not be going. Yeah, I really need to work on the socializing. Hard for an introvert...

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, mine came with some A4 & A3 inserts including a 2016 Review, a 2017 Bucket List, a 2017 Visualisation Board, and a 2017 Goal Setter.... I haven't actually really looked at any of those as I'm not great at long term planning because, well LIFE! For the moment the monthly reviews & goal setting will be enough and I'll work on the rest..... Baby steps!!

Glad to have you on board @AmyS! And good reminder that as powerful as implementing proper nutrition can be, sometimes we require that next level of assistance.  But much better to have that healthy baseline first.

@jmcbn & @cottagequeen those planners sound pretty cool.  Nice to have a little structure to give you a jump start over a plain notebook.

And so as we close out this month's focus on Nutrition, and transition to a focus on Personal Growth (including Reintroduction & Healthy Eating Habits), here's a neat little blurb I found recently:
http://pilatesnutritionist.com/top-10-elimination-diet-mistakes/
Lots of good points here.  I almost thought it was worth posting as a topic of it's own, but instead it will just be bonus material for us Whole9'ers. :D

On 1/1/2017 at 0:29 PM, jmcbn said:

so my focus for January will be incorporating new recipes via my newly acquired instapot (Thanks Mum & Dad!!) - so if any of you guys have tried & tested recipes to recommend they'd be much appreciated!!

Pot performing properly? You can be the hero of this thread: http://forum.whole30.com/topic/41899-w30-instapot/

45 minutes ago, kirkor said:

Pot performing properly? You can be the hero of this thread: http://forum.whole30.com/topic/41899-w30-instapot/

It's been brilliant, although I'll be honest, I've been using tried & tested recipes but cooking them faster rather than seeking out many new ones - apart from baked potatoes & boiled eggs - which is really helping with reducing food prep time! 

15 hours ago, kirkor said:

Glad to have you on board @AmyS! And good reminder that as powerful as implementing proper nutrition can be, sometimes we require that next level of assistance.  But much better to have that healthy baseline first.

@jmcbn & @cottagequeen those planners sound pretty cool.  Nice to have a little structure to give you a jump start over a plain notebook.

And so as we close out this month's focus on Nutrition, and transition to a focus on Personal Growth (including Reintroduction & Healthy Eating Habits), here's a neat little blurb I found recently:
Lots of good points here.  I almost thought it was worth posting as a topic of it's own, but instead it will just be bonus material for us Whole9'ers. :D

I really liked this article. Very detailed and thought-provoking.

Thanks for the welcome back, and yes, the healthy baseline is so important. 

15 hours ago, kirkor said:

My mind went totally somewhere else with the word "pot." :ph34r:

14 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Amy! Not sure how I managed to miss you earlier, but welcome back & welcome aboard!!

Thank you! I am very glad to be here!

My focus for February is going to be on another Whole30, rather than re-introduction. I spent some time away from Whole30 rules, and I discovered that unlike many people, I don't do well with randomly added off-plan ingredients. For instance, added sugar in sauces, ketchup, etc. just doesn't work for me. It's a big enough deal that I feel that I need more than 30 days to reset my system. I'm looking at it like this: age 40 was when I noticed I couldn't tolerate caffeine at all, but it took several years to give it up completely. Age 50 is when I've noticed that I can't really tolerate sugar in any amount, no matter how small - and I expect that it will take time to give it up completely. I have to think about what that means for special occasions, etc. My reaction to caffeine is so intense that it's now easy for me to turn down. My reaction to any amount of sugar now feels like my reaction to caffeine did.

So my health focus for February/March is going to be continuing to reset my body, while pondering how to navigate a world with no or almost no sugar in my diet for the long term. That's a really big one for me to wrap my brain around. 

Hi all, hi @AmyS!

I didn't quite make it to the end of my Whole 30 (shame!), but I was really doing it to get me back in the habit of eating well (and drinking less!), so I'm good with my choices. I was pleasantly pleased to find that after 3 days of meals that were off plan (but not atrocious) and a few drinks I was perfectly able to bounce straight back to Whole 30 style on Monday, with no ill effects aside from a bit of bloating (damn you, beer!). This was really what I was hoping for from the month, so I'm pretty happy.

My plan for Feb is to carry on in this way - eating off plan meals (not snacks! I see you trying to inch your way in, chips!) and getting right back to it afterwards. Not all day, all weekend, just the meals out with friends, so maybe twice a weekend (this weekend was an anomoly with me travelling Friday and having a friend visiting Saturday and Sunday - we simply had to do Johannesburg food justice! That's sustainable, for me.

In other personal growth news, I started Spanish classes last night, which will be 2x week for 5 months! That's totally pushing me out of my comfort zone (which is at home, on the couch) - I also made it a point to start a conversation with every person in the class during the break (again, I hate talking to strangers), AND my friend gave my number to a guy she knows and we've been chatting and we're going on a date (I've gone on 1 blind date in my life). So much personal growth this month!

Amy, it must be so disheartening that you can eat really well and still have problems. But at least you know that, for right now, you're helping yourself in every way possible.

@jmcbnwhen are you moving?!

@kirkor, points 8, 9 and 10 are excellent!

On 1/31/2017 at 8:24 AM, kirkor said:

Love my Commit30 planner. I think it was developed by someone who's done a whole30, cause it mentions it. Anyhoo, thanks for the link. Love that about dose, Melissa mentions that too. Had a definite experience with dose today with my reintroduction of legumes. Wow! I knew that stole my energy from previous reintros', but, this time, killer! Had some Braggs liquid aminos with eggs at meal 1 maybe a little tired, but not horrible. Meal 2 was a pork chop and black eye peas. Haven't had meal 3 yet because I'm still suffering from 1 & 2! Not only tired, but bloated, burping, head and neck feel achy... Meal 3 is going to be light, like maybe an Epic bar and some lactofermented kraut. I am miserable. Hoping the kraut kritters will eat up the legumes and I'll feel way better tomorrow! 

Everyone's awful quiet here. How's the personal growth going? I have found that legumes have really messed me up so have stayed 100% compliant since then. Today has been almost back to whole30 normal. Here's hoping to trial non gluten grains on Tues.. Doing well on my goal of drinking 8 8 oz glasses of water a day. Used to be a no brainer for me. Some how I drifted away from it. Possibly due to spending a lot of time around a Kurig this past year. My coffee consumption was a bit ridiculous. Back to a reasonable one and sometimes two cups a day. Still working on my goal setting abilities!

We're growing silently, like trees ;)

But ya, actually I having a good first week of the month, and have had several personal growth spurts:

* started exercising more earnestly for the first time since my broken arm surgery in November

* been getting some good mindfulness work in

* picked up my journal again after a long hiatus

* started work on a new hobby project that could lead to a marketable skill

I'm doing another Whole30 through March 2, and today was cookup day.

I'm working on goals, mainly on focusing on discovering what is really good for me - in terms of my daily choices and how I lead my every day life. This is more of a challenge than I expected. It's necessary though.

I went to a bbq on Saturday where I had a piece of pavlova and 3 Tim Tams (basically, a giant fluffy meringue with cream and fruit on it, and chocolate coated biscuits - we can't get the biscuits here, so they were a special treat). My stomach was a bit unhappy that afternoon (probably from the biscuits), but woah, nelly, on Saturday evening and Sunday morning I was off the charts anxious - I could not settle to anything, I couldn't even watch TV or read a book. It was insane. The food was all worth it in the moment, but seriously not in the short to long term! I have been pretty good at sticking to Whole 30-esque eating during the week, and trying to be conscious of those little extras choices - someone made gluten free brownies just for me on Thursday, but I didn't love them so only ate a small one and gave the rest away (and threw one in the bin), and I had a glass of wine on Friday night, but again, I didn't love it, so I don't think I even finished the glass (although, Saturday morning I did wake up thinking about when I could have another... concerning).

One of my personal growth goals is to be more honest about my feelings (I'm a people pleaser and hate causing conflict) and not being passive-aggressive when I'm upset. So far I'm doing ok - I hadn't heard from a friend back home in a little while, and instead of assuming that she was pissed at me, I sent her a message saying I hadn't heard from her and asking if everything was ok. Turns out she's completely overwhelmed with life at the moment. But if I hadn't asked I would have carried on thinking it was about me.

My Spanish classes continue. Although the teacher laughed at me on Thursday, so that's not a good sign...

Poor you @cottagequeen - legumes are pretty crazy how they affect some people. I actually bought some hommous (I used to be a hommous fiend) for a picnic yesterday, but it tasted so bland and boring that I couldn't even be bothered eating it. It's possible that it's the brand of hommous, but it's not very common here and I don't have a food processor to make my own, so I guess I'll just put it on the backburner until December.

7 hours ago, GoJo09 said:

I hadn't heard from a friend back home in a little while, and instead of assuming that she was pissed at me, I sent her a message saying I hadn't heard from her and asking if everything was ok. Turns out she's completely overwhelmed with life at the moment. But if I hadn't asked I would have carried on thinking it was about me.

Gosh you sound so like me..... and this is something I've been working on too. Let's just say it's a work in progress!

And pavlova - one of the few desserts I eat these days ! Are the tim tams made with oats? I seem to recall my granny baking something with a name like that?

My journalling seems to go well on weeknights when I have a set routine, and then falls by the wayside at the weekends when there's less of a schedule. This is something I need to work more on too...

I'm also looking at learning to make sourdough bread (not Whole30) this month. A friend of a friend travels the country giving demonstrations and I've been picking his brains as to what flours would be best to use to make my own starter, and then the plan is to throw some kombucha in the mix too for double the probiotics. He's really passionate about fermenting and we had quite the conversation going last night via messenger. He's also recommended a contact of his for learning to make kimchi too. I could have my own stall at the markets soon at this rate!!

39 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

And pavlova - one of the few desserts I eat these days ! Are the tim tams made with oats? I seem to recall my granny baking something with a name like that?

According to wikipedia: Tim Tam is a brand of chocolate biscuit made by Arnott's. It consists of two malted biscuits separated by a light chocolate cream filling and coated in a thin layer of textured chocolate. Basically, they are deliciousness wrapped up in awesome.

Pavlova, the dessert guaranteed to start an argument between any group of Aussies and Kiwis (I was out numbered this time, but I think everyone really knows it's a Kiwi dessert!).

Journaling is really helping with my mindfulness! I did a whole7 before trialing non gluten grains and glad I did. Trailed them yesterday. Not as drastic of consequences, but still had some issues that are not worth it. Itchy skin being a big one and gas, mild bloating and some other mild issues that I know would become greater with continued eating. I'd pretty much cut them out of my diet anyway, along with legumes. Good to just have it reiterated that they do NOT benefit me. One thing the non gluten grains did that really make them not worth it was tempt the sugar dragon. Had a couple of thoughts of Kozy Shack rice pudding, then, I could make some, then, I could just put some cinnamon on some, to putting it in a bowl in the fridge. Growth, personal growth, I didn't do it. Now, thinking I'll just throw the left over rice in the compost bucket... Yep, gonna go do that now!

My weekend consisted of quite a bit of drinking (and consequent seediness...) but, I'm pretty proud that I wasn't drinking mindlessly (I enjoyed and was actually tasting every drink that I had) AND I didn't fall into a mindless hole of eating rubbish because of it. In fact, Sunday morning I went out for breakfast and ordered the least glutenous item on the menu, but it wasn't very good so even though I was starving (I didn't actually eat at all after lunchtime Saturday) I didn't bother eating most of it.

The alcohol did do a number on my stomach though...

Just listened to Stupid Easy Paleo's Steph Gaudreau' s webinar. Good personal growth topic. Learned a few things and had some things reiterated. Setting up some action plans. First is getting outside and getting Sun exposure in the mornings. Sans shades... combining that with a walk to move that lymph... So much more, but time to get of the blue light machine and start my bedtime ritual. Happy Valentine's Day and good night!

I'm going through a major clear-out of old  life habits and patterns. It's really somewhat overwhelming. The result will be very positive, but for now I'm really glad I chose to continue with a second Whole30 this month - having that structure really helps emotionally and mentally when I'm working on big life issues.

When I signed on for this year-long journey I had no idea how relevant it would be. Questions of how I make my living, how I shape my life, all sorts of Big Life Questions, are coming to the forefront these days. 

1 hour ago, AmyS said:

I'm going through a major clear-out of old  life habits and patterns. It's really somewhat overwhelming. The result will be very positive, but for now I'm really glad I chose to continue with a second Whole30 this month - having that structure really helps emotionally and mentally when I'm working on big life issues.

When I signed on for this year-long journey I had no idea how relevant it would be. Questions of how I make my living, how I shape my life, all sorts of Big Life Questions, are coming to the forefront these days. 

It's good that you're not trying to do it all at once though - a year long journey gives you the opportunity to really focus on each thing, rather than slamming yourself with having to make decisions/choices all at once.

When I decided to quit my perfectly adequate job, get rid of all my stuff and leave all my friends and move to Africa for a year, it was over a year from the seed being planted to actually arriving here. Funnily enough, the whole thing started when a friend lent me a book on minimalism - crazy how such a simple thing has led to such a massive change in my life! I don't think I've actually told him that was the catalyst - his wife (my best friend) would probably kill him if she knew :).

My reintroduction is going well, much better than the last 3 times. I think journaling has helped, however, I think I'm really in a different mindset this time. Got some socialization in this week. Sunday, I invited a couple friends over for lunch. It was my dairy reintroduction. Fixed Mark's Daily Apple's Mississippi roast, sans pepperoncini. Used sliced Hungarian peppers. Couldn't find compliant pepperoncini. Had green beans with butter and dill, baked sweet taters with cinnamon and butter, then coffee after with half and half. There were no leftovers, it was that good! All dairy was organic, so no additives. And, no dairy will not be making a regular comeback into my life. Don't want to think what conventional dairy would have done! Sunday eve, got an invite to lunch with some girls I used to work with. Googled the restaurant to check out the menu, then called to find out what would be compliant. Had my game plan so, decided to go. Almost didn't, glad I did. That was a personal growth experience for me, I've been living practically like a hermit for quite some time now. If it wasn't for my grandkids(baby sitting) and the couple(she drops in on me from time to time) I invited to lunch, I pretty much have had no visitors for several years now.  At least any that stayed for more than a few minutes. I haven't invited anyone and I guess most of the people I know aren't comfortable with just dropping in. Going to that lunch invite was a good step for me. Being an introvert can really mess with you, along with food caused depression. One of the things that Whole30 is saving me from. Spent a chunk of yesterday with my mom and sister. Didn't plan lunch, but we had to stop at Kroger and found a new emergency food option. A package of these and a beef Epic bar and we were good to go. I've got a ways to go, and now, I feel like I can make it. I've been sticking to 100% compliant since Sunday, am going to Outback Thursday with family. Mom has a gift card she's been carrying around for a while and wants to use it. So, meal 3 that day will be one of those " special" occasions. I'm going to enjoy it, savor it, hopefully without going nutso! Been looking at the menu trying to decide what I want to get. I want it to really be special, to make it worth it, so probably something with lobster. Will know better when I see the menu. Then back to compliant 100% for probably a week, depending on how the meal affects me and back to reintro. I've got a plan and I'm sticking to it! Keep up the good work peeps.

Archived