2017 Whole9 WholeYear (3rd Annual)

kirkor

• Administrators
2 hours ago, AmyS said:

What?! I don't think "stroke" and "heartrate" and consider it positive. I assume I'm missing something. :lol:

Stroke volume: the amount of blood your heart pumps in each beat....or stroke. 

Am I right @kirkor? ;)

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been doing well with the Training and Healthy Movement focus this month!  This was really the kickstart I needed to get back on track!

Went for a jog yesterday and even interspersed some burpees! Yeah buddy!

BUT----

JUUUUNNNNEEEEE is almost upon us!

That means we're going to be focusing on Natural Environment & Getting Outside!  So for those of us in the Northern hemisphere (which is most, I think?) we're geetting to enjoy fantastic summer weather.
Potentially here in San Diego I'll have some of the "June Gloom" as it's locally colloquially known, where the weather isn't quite as awesome as it normally is (;)) but I think it will be ok.

So get ready folks --- time to plan some trips to local parks and arboretums, maybe try geocaching, or buy a National Parks pass!

I'm all over the Getting Outside! Just entered a trail run in the Magaliesberg Range for the first weekend in June, eyeing up another one for the week after (will see how the first one goes!), booked a camping/hiking trip for a long weekend mid-month, and then I'm heading off on a month long camping trip through southern Africa with my Dad and one of my best mates! Plus I'm trying to get out for a short walk around every day.

It's winter here, but it's so beautiful - cold in the mornings (yesterday was a Real Feel of 1 degree C when I got up!) but beautiful and sunny during the day. This is my first South African autumn/winter so I'm hoping it stays this way!

Sooooo many log threads that I feel bad this one always gets bumped down so far.

Everyone going to get outside this weekend?? 

I went for a walk after dinner last night, which was very pleasant.  Going to head out for a bicycle ride this afternoon I think.  Maybe the beach this weekend.

Had yesterday off so did a workout around lunch time, then decided to go for a work before making lunch --- left my sunglasses inside and took my shirt off for the stroll!  Bring on that Vitamin D!!

Had a cool "natural environment" experience last night --- went to a friend's house who has a projector and a nice blank wall, and a group of us watched a movie outside!  Good advance training for August's focus on Socialization & Connecting with Others too ;)

On 6/12/2017 at 0:05 PM, kirkor said:

Had a cool "natural environment" experience last night --- went to a friend's house who has a projector and a nice blank wall, and a group of us watched a movie outside!  Good advance training for August's focus on Socialization & Connecting with Others too ;)

Nice! One of my favorite childhood memories was watching an outdoor movie by a pool: The Incredible Mr. Limpet. Cute movie, fun night.

I've been getting outside almost every day, walking and (ack) bike riding. I'm so out of shape that I can go about 15 minutes on the bike before my legs give out. So my goal of becoming fit like a dancer is a way off. But I'm working on it! I haven't fallen off the bike yet! Just almost. :lol:

I've finished my successive rounds of Whole30s, and I'm eating more or less how I want to - I happen to actually like Whole30 eating a good bit of the time, and I also do well with rice and corn, and I'm eating one chocolate covered espresso bean per day (I'd eat a bag per day but no one needs to be around me under the influence of that much caffeine :ph34r:) and some chocolate.

My BFF right now is collard greens. I'm not sure why, but I'm a huge fan these days, and also they seem to give me a burst of energy when I eat them. Since I do well with rice, I can eat collards, rice, and other stuff like chicken or beef, and be very happy. Though I'll also eat collards just by themselves, with potatoes, with eggs, with tomatoes, probably with a grated up chair leg if you tossed it on there.

I'm sure the excitement will wear off soon, but for now, I'm likin' 'em.

I'm off hiking for the long weekend here - 3 hours drive from Jo'burg, no cell phone reception, no power, just a troop of wild baboons and some beautiful walking. Hopefully it will allow my brain to shut up for a bit. The weather here is so gorgeous at the moment (clear blue skies, 22-24 degrees during the day - if this is winter, I'm ok with it!), so I've been getting outdoors for a run a couple of times a week, as well as trying to go for short walks during the workday.

@kirkor, I did the outdoor movie thing a few months ago when it was still warm in the evenings - pretty cool when the lizards kept crawling over the wall during the movie :).

One chocolate espresso bean per day @AmyS - that is the definition of willpower! (I know that's not what it's meant to be about, but they're so tiny, I'd at least go for a small handful!)

The coach at crossfit this morning said to me (as he was adding more weight to my deadlift bar) "at least once a week you should get to the end of a workout and say 'that was too heavy'". I don't know where he gets these ideas from, but I certainly told him what I thought about it at the end (there may have been swear words...). His reply was that I did it with good form, so stop complaining. I hate it when he's right.

10 hours ago, GoJo09 said:

I'm off hiking for the long weekend here - 3 hours drive from Jo'burg, no cell phone reception, no power, just a troop of wild baboons and some beautiful walking. Hopefully it will allow my brain to shut up for a bit. The weather here is so gorgeous at the moment (clear blue skies, 22-24 degrees during the day - if this is winter, I'm ok with it!), so I've been getting outdoors for a run a couple of times a week, as well as trying to go for short walks during the workday.

@kirkor, I did the outdoor movie thing a few months ago when it was still warm in the evenings - pretty cool when the lizards kept crawling over the wall during the movie :).

One chocolate espresso bean per day @AmyS - that is the definition of willpower! (I know that's not what it's meant to be about, but they're so tiny, I'd at least go for a small handful!)

The coach at crossfit this morning said to me (as he was adding more weight to my deadlift bar) "at least once a week you should get to the end of a workout and say 'that was too heavy'". I don't know where he gets these ideas from, but I certainly told him what I thought about it at the end (there may have been swear words...). His reply was that I did it with good form, so stop complaining. I hate it when he's right.

Love your hiking adventure plans! I always wonder where hikers pee. Clearly I'm a creature of the great indoors - until very recently that is!

The thing with the chocolate covered espresso beans is that I have a very low tolerance for caffeine. Two beans equals 48 hours of feeling jangled. So one bean is the maximum dose for Still Feeling Human.

Your coach is probably right, but ick. I feel that way every day on my bike. I swear when I get off my bike and can hardly walk (that's how out of shape I am), it takes about two hours for coherent thought to return. :ph34r: And it's not like I'm working very hard yet! True fitness awaits - that's how I'm looking at it!

How's this for outdoor activities: a private party gig where I sang overlooking beautiful cliffs and ocean! This was my Saturday night. Fantastic! Two friends and I played this solstice party. We reprised our concert from last weekend (last weekend we performed it indoors at a theater). Gorgeous setting, fantastic to sing in almost a music festival feeling setting outside. Loved it. Also, breathing for singing kind of counts as a core/abs workout. Believe.

Good point re: the combo of outdoors + fun focus!
As we focus on a new topic each month, our goal is also to continue to incorporate all the other areas we've explored thus far.

And guess what?? This is the HALFWAY point in 2017!!!

We've covered nutrition, personal growth, sleep, stress management, healthy movement, and the great outdoors.  That's quite the list! 
How would you rate yourself re: how well you have all those 6 areas handled?  Are you kicking butt with your nutrition, but could use a little touch up on your sleep habits?  Are work and family life going well and stress-free, but you've noticed you're just not getting exercise like you "know you should"?

Use this halfway point check-in as an opportunity to recalibrate yourself, to make sure your daily habits are aligned with your long term goals.

I feel like I've done best on nutrition, personal growth, and stress management. I expect that healthy movement and the great outdoors will continue to be growing edges for me, as my plan is to become healthier (rather than less healthy) by the end of each teaching semester. My usual strategy has been to get as healthy as I can as the semester approaches, and then hang on as the stresses of the semester take their toll, and then recover as much as possible at the end of the semester. This is not a strategy that I plan to continue into the future.

Sleep is always an issue and I don't expect that to let up any time soon, unfortunately. I was never a kid who could sleep through the night.

On 2/23/2017 at 5:58 PM, kirkor said:

And then for March, one of my favorite things: SLEEP!

Just saw this sleep article posted by @ladyshanny in another thread:

http://slumberwise.com/science/your-ancestors-didnt-sleep-like-you/

Good read.  Might make those late night wakenings less stressful if you know they might be a potentially-normal thing!  It seems mine are still tied to either too much liquid near bedtime, or having had alcohol that evening (sometimes seems that wine does it more than spirits, but that's a new theory).

But I'm willing to try going to bed earlier to potentially harness that sleep pattern.  We'll see.  Never did try the polyphasic thing but it's still on my radar:
https://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/10/polyphasic-sleep/
https://www.polyphasicsociety.com/polyphasic-sleep/beginners/

• 3 months later...

Well, well, wellllll.......... anyone still here? :unsure:

What did we miss?

• July: Fun and Play
  • Aug: Socialization & Connecting with Others
  • Sep: Temperance

For a while I've kept telling myself, "I really need to go bump that Whole9 annual thread..........." but then days turn to weeks and now here we are.

But then, today, lo and behold, the Whole9 email links to Dallas's new post about condensing the 9 factors in to 4! (http://dallashartwig.com/9-factors-4-keys-living-better/) I figure heck that must be a sign --- I must revisit this thread!

So, I'm just going to assume we've all been out having so much Fun and Play while focusing on Socialization & Connecting with Others, that we simply haven't had time for the distraction of an online forum.  And as for Temperance, well, Dallas jokes about that in his post, "Why not remove the one nobody understands....What the hell is temperance anyway?" :lol:

BUT because with the whole "9 factors/12 months" thing (like hotdogs being a 10 pack and hot dog buns being an 8 pack) we've got some time left here in the last quarter of 2017.  Let's use it to focus on these distilled "4 Keys" from Dallas:

1. Sleep
  2. Eat
  3. Move
  4. Connect

• 1 month later...

Wow! Time has zipped right on by! I've been so busy, like a one armed paper hanger! Finally, got my aunt settled in her "new" house here in OH. Still have a bit of unpacking to deal with. Oh, so hoping to have some calm days for the next while. Time to regroup and use those four keys as well as the 9 habits... I like temperance... good for those of us who go overboard sometimes to temper it... nice to see everyone!

Archived