Stephanie's First Whole 30 - Starting at Day 10

smiller87

I'm a little late to this logging thing, but better late than never right? I'm on day 10 and I feel great. I want to share a few concerns I have and hear some feedback - I'll get to those below. I'm 25, female, and a grad student. For exercise I do yoga, cycling, and some light weight training. I've always been able to get to the gym regularly, but I never saw the results I wanted because I wouldn't control my diet, which was carb and sugar heavy.

Days 1-6 I felt great. No weird symptoms at all. For breakfast, I'd make eggs and bacon (or smoked salmon) with either avocado or banana. My usual lunch is a spinach salad with lots of veggies, tuna or grilled chicken, with balsamic and olive oil. At some point in the day I'd snack on a piece of fruit like a banana or an apple. For dinner, I'd have some type of protein (chicken, lamb, pork or beef) pan-cooked, with a side of two veggies (usually kale/spinach/broccoli + sweet potato/zucchini/acorn squash).

On day 7, I started feeling nauseous half-way through breakfast. I finished it, went to class, but then had to leave and get some fresh air because my stomach felt so upset. The feeling eventually sub-sided.

On day 8, I had no problem eating breakfast at around 8:30. I had a really busy day at work, so I couldn't stop for lunch at the regular time. One minute I was running around, working, no problem, then at around 1:45 I was hit with a strong feeling of light-headedness and nausea. A co-worker gave me an apple and I immediately felt better. I guess it's pretty obvious that I had low blood sugar, but it was scary nonetheless. Before starting this, I wouldn't make a regular habit of missing a meal, but I also wouldn't nearly pass out after missing one by an hour.

Day 9 - no symptoms. Felt great.

Breakfast - One egg, three pieces of bacon

Morning Snack - banana + Coconut Water

Lunch - spinach salad with lots of veggies and tuna with balsamic vinegar and olive oil

Afternoon snack - very small portion of grilled chicken with tomatoes (This type of snack is not my usual style, but I was at school, starving, and I didn't have a lot of options)

Dinner - Chicken stir fry: grilled chicken, onions, garlic, sesame seeds, coconut aminos, kale, salt and pepper

Drinks: Coffee with coconut milk in the morning and plenty of water throughout the day

Besides the two symptoms listed above I feel great. My energy level is high, my focus has improved, and I'm sleeping better. I need to find some other breakfast options, though, because it's becoming hard for me to even look at eggs...

• Moderators

You may have had some kind of bug on day 7. I don't see why your food choices over the previous 6 days would make you feel the way you did.

Your afternoon snack on day 9 sounds good. Snacks should include protein, veggies, and fat.

It took awhile to get comfortable with the idea, but I eat supper at breakfast some days - yesterday was pulled pork and a sweet potato. The day before was pulled pork and stir-fried greens and and onions with some dried cranberries.

Thanks Tom! I don't have a slow cooker, but I was planning on getting one soon, bc pulled pork sounds soo good. I also want to add, for the past few years I've been struggling with my complexion. I've tried countless products, both OTC and prescribed. While it's only been about a week, my complexion has improved considerably! Yay!

Welcome smiller!

I am in day 4 of my first whole 30. While i wouldnt say i have a bad complexion i always have a few breakouts on my face --esp my forehead around my hairline. I woke up on day 3 and my face was clear. All of it. It was beyond weird and im even a little hesitant to sat its my diet bc it cleared up sooo quickly. But what else could it be? Lol.

Good luck to you on your journey!

J

Thanks JinTX! Glad to hear you're seeing positive skin results as well! Really, after all the effort (and money) I've put into my skin over the years, if a good complexion is the only benefit I get from eating this way, I'll be happy.

Today's meals:

Breakfast: 3 pieces of bacon and half an egg (could not finish it)

Lunch: Spinach salad with veggies and tuna with balsamic vinegar and olive oil

Snack: banana

Dinner: Grilled chicken with onion, kale and a sweet potato with a little coconut oil and sea salt.

For day 12, I pretty much ate the same meals as day 11, with an additional primal pack (delicious!) for a snack.

Last night was my first time to go out with my friends since I started Whole 30. I had a great time and no one gave me a hard time for not drinking. It was my friend's birthday/engagement party and I was in charge of picking up the sweets. The treats looked incredible, but I didn't feel any intense desire to try them.

Still going strong!

Archived