Whole30 -Nightshades

Aadzima

My husband and is are preparing to start our Whole30 program however i feel there is a strong chance that Nightshades are a problem for him and I am having trouble finding Nightsahde free Whole30 meal plans.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

• Moderators

What makes you think you need to go this route?  We often recommend that people do a standard Whole30 before giving up FODMAPS or Nightshades (which is generally called the AutoImmune Protocol). Giving up those extra items when it's your first time on the Whole30 can make things much more difficult than a regular Whole30 and often symptoms will improve with just the standard Whole30. That said, there is an AIP shopping list and you can google around this forum (google being the best way to search) and see what other people have done... it's definitely been discussed at length but there is no official AIP meal plan.

• Moderators

As SugarcubeOD said above, just doing a regular Whole30 may be enough without the added restrictions of eliminating all nightshades. If you are pretty sure you need to eliminate them, either now or in the future, you might find the Egg & Nightshade Free Shopping List helpful -- focus on the foods listed on that list, leaving out the ones that are grayed out. There aren't really a lot of official Whole30 meal plans in general, instead, most people just find foods and recipes that work for them and develop their own plan.

Not all of these recipes are Whole30 (she has a lot of desserts and smoothies, obviously avoid those), but they are AIP so they'll be nightshade free: https://www.thepaleomom.com/category/recipes/aip-recipes/

You don't need a lot of fancy recipes either -- roast some vegetables (here's a basic how-to, it works for any vegetables you want to roast, just sub the ones you want instead of the ones she used), grill or pan fry some burger patties or chicken, have some olives or avocado for fat, maybe throw in a side salad or some cauliflower rice, and you've got a meal. It doesn't all have to be new and different, just focus on cooking meats and vegetables with healthy fats.

Archived