Shepherd's pie with leftover roast lamb question

JaneEyre

Day 3 for me and I decided to roast a leg of lamb for tonight's dinner, I was hoping to make the leftovers into shepherd's pie.

After eating the roast lamb I usually work through the leftovers to cut off bite size pieces ready for the pie. The next day I coat these pieces in a little seasoned flour, then brown them in butter, add sauteed onions and carrots, a little tomato paste/garlic/seasonings. After putting this veggie/lamb mix in the casserole dish I deglaze the pan with beer (usually half a pint of stout), pour that over the veggies/lamb and top it with potatoes, pop it in a low oven for an hour or so...

I am going to deglaze with chicken stock, my tomato paste is complaint and I can use oil or ghee but what should I do about that tablespoon or so of flour? It is vital for developing a fond and helping the sauce to thicken.

Should I try coconut flour?

I love the results that get with the "double cooked meat" but this substitution is a little outside my comfort zone.

• Moderators

Try arrowroot powder or tapioca flour... both are compliant and both will thicken in much the same way as flour... you can also skip dredging and cook as per usual and then add the arrowroot or tapioca after so you can be sure to manage the thickening process since while it will thicken, it's not actual flour and as such may behave differently than you're used to.

Once the meat is cooked, I would take the meat out of the sauce (so it doesn't get overcooked) and cook the sauce by itself until it reduces. It will be thicker and more flavorful. Then I'd add the meat back and proceed with the recipe. I'm a little leery of some of the other thickeners... a friend of mine thickened her Thanksgiving gravy with arrowroot flour, and her husband told her it reminded him of the sauce on dog food... :-)

Stephanie

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Bellmaestra said:

... a friend of mine thickened her Thanksgiving gravy with arrowroot flour, and her husband told her it reminded him of the sauce on dog food... :-)

Stephanie

Too much powder... TOO MUCH!!!  LOL... it's a fine line ;)

Archived