Late to the Party, but Started My Whole30 Jan 1!

Jsunshine87

Well I still have a couple minutes before the clock turns over here so I guess I'm not technically late yet.  This is my first Whole30 that I've ever done and I am so nervous!  I did NOT prepare this last week since I was down with the flu since before Christmas.  I DID, however, manage to go through my kitchen today with my very loving and supportive boyfriend today and got rid of all the junk.  He's doing the Whole30 with me!  I'm so excited to have his support and to go through this together.  His diet is a lot better than mine so I'm guessing that he will have an easier time taming his carb dragon.  I nearly panicked today though when I had to prepare meals for work and was trying to make mayo and my vitamix kept creating this watery weird stuff that looked NOTHING like mayo.  I ended up attempting it with my regular blender and got it to work.  I have so many questions and nervousness that I'm bringing to the table today.  I'm a night shift ER nurse who has fallen off the wagon when it comes to taking care of my body.  Last year in February I had a personal trainer who wrote an awesome nutrition plan and exercise program complete with a super complicated supplement regimen.  I was in the gym pretty much every day, eating small meals four times a day, and taking handfuls of supplements with every meal.  Then my car was broken into at the gym.  I had been going so hard that when that happened it totally took the wind out of my sails and I have been struggling ever since.  I've put on 20 lbs in the last 10 months, I have no energy, my depression is worse than it has been in years...  Basically I'm ready for change.  My biggest concern is that I'm a night shift nurse in an ER, where there seems to always be junk food and caffeine a plenty.  Do any of you have any tips for night shifters or nurses specifically?  It's also hard to get breaks some times but this program isn't so strict that I can't just eat when I have a minute to sit.  Also, my boyfriend and I did not do any measurements on day 0 and I ran out of time today.  Is it going to be a big deal to do the measurements (we did weigh ourselves yesterday) and take the pictures?

Looking forward to sharing with all of you on this journey.

• Moderators

Hi! For the night shift stuff, you might find this blog post from a former hospital pharmacist who worked an overnight shift helpful. There are also several other nurses around the forums, at least one of whom I've seen posting in the last few days, so you might google Whole30 nurse or whole30 hospital to find those posts.

It's fine to go ahead and do your measurements tomorrow, just don't weigh and measure yourself after that until the end of your Whole30.

Archived