First start but already having a hard time

hyram

Have been cooking and shopping my whole life (decades) but honestly feel overwhelmed and exhausted spending last evening and this morning making bone broth and clarifying butter. I may end up counting this day 0.5 and starting in full tomorrow. I think Jan 2 was ideal but have just been too busy to get this all together completely. Will just put some soup on and eat soup and eggs until I can work, deal with the holiday aftermath and shop. Never ate a lot of sugar or junk, but am already missing my daily wine.  Thanks for any advice or encouragement. 

Best wishes to you! Don't feel discouraged, you're taking the steps towards being healthier, it's all so worth it. Any move you make towards that is progress!  

As for advice, for me the key (the first time around) was to make sure I had some chopped veggies or good protein to grab when I was overwhelmed and thinking it was overwhelming. I can't tell you how many crispy chicken thighs I've eaten.  

Yes, do start tomorrow so you start off with meal 1 on a good note.

Make it easy on yourself. You don't have to have bone broth and you can buy clarified butter if you need to. When you do cook try to make enough so you have leftovers for the next meal. 

And there are many delicious frozen vegetables that are pre-chopped. 

Find some proteins that you like that just take a few minutes. For me, it's compliant hot dogs and fresh sauerkraut. Add olives and I have a meal. 

Thank you all. I think a quick trip to Whole Foods might make me feel a lot better. They have a lot of pre-cut veggies and although I am the kind of person who goes into things fully prepared, I can do this in stages. And I have a lot of bone broth now and can get creative about soups. And have a lot of chicken breasts to poach and have ordered some emergency snack bars, so I may just need to wait a day or two (or add it at the end after starting  over) and not get overwhelmed. 

I think one of my biggest issues is that I have cooked for so long I rarely use recipes, but I also have a way of doing things that really takes no thought for the kind of healthy eating I have been doing. This takes more thought and more label reading. Appreciate the support a lot. 

It's the thought and the label reading that are key. Try to read every label on every food, even when you've purchased it before.  And keep reviewing the rules AND the recommendations. 

Also, rethink those snack bars. If you follow the template and eat enough food, you'll be able to go at least 4 hours until your next meal. Bars are for emergencies and true emergencies are rare. :)

I do a lot of traveling so just want to be prepared. Not much of a snack person so only use them for emergencies. And already a big readder of food labels, although some of the non-compliant ingredients I have been willing to settle for (not sugar)  are a bit arcane. Thank you for the suggestions and I will re-read and digest the information. Beginning of the year already a bit overwhelming. Appreciate the support. May cut back on the giving up coffee. Maybe not the best move right off. Can do without the cream. 

Also a Day 1'er here! Sending best wishes and support! I had some crazy cravings this afternoon after having a good breakfast and lunch. Kinda took me by surprise! I guess normally I would have the craving and immediately give in and barely notice what was happening. Having to resist today was hard!! Looking forward to my tastes changing. :)

May I ask how you clarify your butter? I haven't been able to find any in the supermarkets here in Trinidad. 

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, Urnesha said:

May I ask how you clarify your butter? I haven't been able to find any in the supermarkets here in Trinidad. 

Here's a recipe for clarified butter. Ghee is similar but you cook it longer before you strain it, letting the milk solids get brown -- it changes the flavor some. You can also make either of those in a crockpot/slow cooker, or in the oven -- just google to find instructions for those if they'd work better for you.

Trader Joe's has a huge selection of Whole 30 compliant, pre-chopped and seasoned veggies. A bit expensive, but helpful to have on hand for moments when you don't feel like cooking. I also made a KILLER Chicken Tortilla Soup (sans tortillas)...I find that cooking a big batch of soup for the week can be a life saver. Here is the link to this and many other Whole 30 compliant soups! https://lifehealthhq.com/whole30-soup/. Good luck! 

19 minutes ago, ShannonM816 said:

Here's a recipe for clarified butter. Ghee is similar but you cook it longer before you strain it, letting the milk solids get brown -- it changes the flavor some. You can also make either of those in a crockpot/slow cooker, or in the oven -- just google to find instructions for those if they'd work better for you.

Woot! Alton Brown to the rescue! :D Thanks for the link. I did see Ghee in the supermarket but was a bit nervous about using it. Can I use it the same way that clarified butter would be used? How different is the taste? Should I be asking these questions somewhere else? 

Ghee is just fine :D they both taste pretty similar, some people dislike both, coconut oil is a pretty good substitute generally, if ghee is not available to anyone. Ghee is often easier to find than Clarified Butter as it's a staple in several cuisines, like Indian. I really like chicken cooked in ghee, but I don't like it in coffee.

If your local ghee comes in a can, remove it once you open it and store it in a glass jar/container, it'll last a lot longer. If your ghee is yellow it's a pretty good one (the yellow comes from the grass the cows eat and is often more nutritious, if it's not an added colour), whiter ones are less good but still compliant.

1 minute ago, praxisproject said:

Ghee is just fine :D they both taste pretty similar, some people dislike both, coconut oil is a pretty good substitute generally, if ghee is not available to anyone. Ghee is often easier to find than Clarified Butter as it's a staple in several cuisines, like Indian. I really like chicken cooked in ghee, but I don't like it in coffee.

If your local ghee comes in a can, remove it once you open it and store it in a glass jar/container, it'll last a lot longer. If your ghee is yellow it's a pretty good one (the yellow comes from the grass the cows eat and is often more nutritious, if it's not an added colour), whiter ones are less good but still compliant.

Okay great. I bought a nice sized bottle of coconut oil today so I should be good to go. :) Thanks!

Archived