praxisproject

Are you new here? Welcome!

Today is my day one and i am excited but i have a couple of questions that I hope someone can help me with.  "Butter" is there a brand in our local store we are able to purchase?  I feel like i am going to burn my butter up if I try to clarify it.  My last question is, the book says we can have 100% fruit juice but is it only to put in food for ingredients or can we have a few sips with a meal?

Hey @CleaH - apologies for the delayed reply - sometimes if the forums are active some posts get 'lost' in the activity streams.... Butter - nope, butter butter is out. Clarified butter is fairly easy to make (lots of tutorials on the web), or you can purchase Ghee. Unfortunately I am in Ireland so can't recommend any brands but I know that here Ghee is most easily found along with other asian foods & spices.

As for juice - again nope, juice can be used for adding to sauces etc to sweeten them up, or for adding a dash to some water to liven it up a bit. 100% fruit juices are pretty high in sugar which will in turn impact your blood sugar, and so we'd prefer that you just eat the fruit, which will also provide fibre.

Hope this helps!

I am new here!  Day 1, March 1st and I am excited and  terrified all at once.  I am not as prepared as I should be so any suggestions are welcome.  I am overweight, 66 years old with a lot of arthritis that has pushed me into a sedentary life style and want to put it behind me.   I was afraid to tackle this life change on my own but some folks at work said they were going to do it so that is what got me to Day 1,  But everyone has a reservation here and there and I want to embrace this full on.  NO 'yea-buts'. 

I have never used a forum like this so I don't know how it works exactly so I guess I will learn. 

I know I am going to feel real crummy in the weeks to come but I have been feeling real crummy for a long time now due to bad habits of no exercise, lousy food choices, and alcohol daily.  I am hoping to see "new crummy" as hope for a better tomorrow! 

Hi! This is day 1 for me too. I started my day with a cup of black coffe. I usually drink my coffee with half n half and lots of light brown sugar so that was different. But really...not that bad. I had 2 fried eggs (I used ghee as recommended) and a medium size salad w/ lettuce, heirloom tomatoes, red cabbage and onions. I drizziled olive oil and balsamic vinegar on it. Breakfast was delicious but I have a question: AM I ALLOWED OLIVE OIL or do I have to start over? I had kale salad and a small piece of filet mignon for lunch and used olive oil again. I read the rules that state vegetable oil is not permitted but am unsure if olive oil falls in that category (I know...silly) If it does can someone share other ways to dress a salad because I plan on eating a lot of them. Thanks

2 minutes ago, CocoaQueen said:

Hi! This is day 1 for me too. I started my day with a cup of black coffe. I usually drink my coffee with half n half and lots of light brown sugar so that was different. But really...not that bad. I had 2 fried eggs (I used ghee as recommended) and a medium size salad w/ lettuce, heirloom tomatoes, red cabbage and onions. I drizziled olive oil and balsamic vinegar on it. Breakfast was delicious but I have a question: AM I ALLOWED OLIVE OIL or do I have to start over? I had kale salad and a small piece of filet mignon for lunch and used olive oil again. I read the rules that state vegetable oil is not permitted but am unsure if olive oil falls in that category (I know...silly) If it does can someone share other ways to dress a salad because I plan on eating a lot of them. Thanks

Olive oil is fine. When they say no vegetable oil, they mean the bottles labeled vegetable oil in the store. 

5 minutes ago, CocoaQueen said:

Great! Thank you. Can you share any other salad dressings you use?

I like this one: http://meljoulwan.com/2014/10/20/zingy-ginger-dressing/

Or this one: http://www.whole-sisters.com/single-post/2016/05/26/Dump-Ranch

There are some here as well: http://whole30.com/2014/10/best-whole30-recipes-sauces-dressings-dips-oh/

If you prefer to buy some, look for Tessemae brand in the refrigerated section near produce or you can order them online. Not all of their varieties are whole30 compliant, but several are.

Remember that you don't have to just eat salads, and sometimes people find if they're eating a lot of raw vegetables that they're not used to eating, they may feel bloated or have other digestive issues. If you find that to be an issue going forward, you might want to try having more cooked vegetables.

18 hours ago, gerril28 said:

@CleaH...........you can find Ghee in a jar at Whole Foods ($14.99) or at Trader Joe's ($3.99). Hopefully you have one of those near where you live.

Yes it does, thanks.  I did get some GHEE from Trader Joe's and I was shocked that i liked the taste.

On 3/1/2017 at 4:34 AM, jmcbn said:

Hey @CleaH - apologies for the delayed reply - sometimes if the forums are active some posts get 'lost' in the activity streams.... Butter - nope, butter butter is out. Clarified butter is fairly easy to make (lots of tutorials on the web), or you can purchase Ghee. Unfortunately I am in Ireland so can't recommend any brands but I know that here Ghee is most easily found along with other asian foods & spices.

As for juice - again nope, juice can be used for adding to sauces etc to sweeten them up, or for adding a dash to some water to liven it up a bit. 100% fruit juices are pretty high in sugar which will in turn impact your blood sugar, and so we'd prefer that you just eat the fruit, which will also provide fibre.

Hope this helps!

Thanks yes this did help me, i see that i can add a little 100% fruit juice to sparkling water.  I have just gotten use to the taste of sparkling water that does not have a lot of sugar and it was hard now, I can see how much I loved sugar but on my way of breaking that habit.

On 3/2/2017 at 10:09 AM, CleaH said:

Yes it does, thanks.  I did get some GHEE from Trader Joe's and I was shocked that i liked the taste.

I've been wondering what the difference between the expensive ghee and the cheap ghee was. does anyone know? I got some from sprouts and the taste is not so great.  so i'm looking for the next kind

10 minutes ago, LadyMoon79 said:

I've been wondering what the difference between the expensive ghee and the cheap ghee was. does anyone know? I got some from sprouts and the taste is not so great.  so i'm looking for the next kind

Theoretically, the more expensive stuff should be from better quality butter, although there are no guarantees on that just based on price. It's not really hard to make your own, and I like the stuff I make better than any of the brands I've bought, although I did like the Tin Star Brown Butter Ghee better than the couple of other brands I found at local stores to try. The last time I made my own I used this crockpot method.

Having said all that, ghee is just not my favorite. It's okay, but I regularly go months and months without using it. I just use coconut oil, olive oil, duck fat, lard, tallow, or if I've had some compliant bacon, I'll save the grease from it to cook in. So if you don't like it, you've got other options. Don't feel like you have to have it to do Whole30.

I'm now on Whole30-Day 6. I plan to work the plan through Lent.  I will be 45 in May and realized that I just needed a good reset.  I have been feeling sluggish and sore and know that I need to get some weight off.  I feel so much better already...more energy and I have been sleeping much better.  

Friday was a challenge as we have the Lenten Fish Fry at our parish...and I help with it each week. It was kinda rough watching everyone else chow down. I felt empowered as the night went on and it was a huge boost to know that I made it and didn't stray from my plan. I need to figure out more "away from home" options. I made guacamole and pico de gallo yesterday, so I brought a pseudo-taco salad to work for lunch today. Any other tasty, but easy to travel, ideas?

Day 6 First Timer/Newbie here.  Anyone else go too long between meals... and have your inner caveman emerge and throw down a pound of lamb/(insert your meat of choice)...?  I'll need to remember to carry some emergency food next time I'm in uber soccer dad mode. Lesson learned. 

1 minute ago, LanceZ0829 said:

Day 6 First Timer/Newbie here.  Anyone else go too long between meals... and have your inner caveman emerge and throw down a pound of lamb/(insert your meat of choice)...?  I'll need to remember to carry some emergency food next time I'm in uber soccer dad mode. Lesson learned. 

3 hours ago, alcazn said:

I'm now on Whole30-Day 6. I plan to work the plan through Lent.  I will be 45 in May and realized that I just needed a good reset.  I have been feeling sluggish and sore and know that I need to get some weight off.  I feel so much better already...more energy and I have been sleeping much better.  

Friday was a challenge as we have the Lenten Fish Fry at our parish...and I help with it each week. It was kinda rough watching everyone else chow down. I felt empowered as the night went on and it was a huge boost to know that I made it and didn't stray from my plan. I need to figure out more "away from home" options. I made guacamole and pico de gallo yesterday, so I brought a pseudo-taco salad to work for lunch today. Any other tasty, but easy to travel, ideas?

I'm doing this as part of Lent myself.  On Thursday, my daughter had a track team family banquet. I served pizza to the people there and the aroma was wafting up my nostrils for an hour.  I held out though... struggled a bit I'll admit. So I guess our version will be the Whole40...   We'll get though this. 

This is my first time with Whole 30. I have been on WW since July and had started to notice some major stomach issues in January. I had been eating healthy but had consumed a lot of fake sugars to manage my sweet tooth.  I had increased my exercise as well and my weightloss hit a hard plateau. Another WW member recommended Whole30 so I read it and began the next day. I love it! I am on day 21 and my stomach issues are 97% better...stress still creates some issues. I have to weighin weekly with WW which is not recommended by Whole30 but I am already down  8 pounds.  My crossfit workouts are better and I feel stronger. I love clean eating and will continue these healthy habits past the 30 days as much as possible, doing a full program 4 times a year!

On 3/4/2017 at 11:25 PM, ShannonM816 said:

Theoretically, the more expensive stuff should be from better quality butter, although there are no guarantees on that just based on price. It's not really hard to make your own, and I like the stuff I make better than any of the brands I've bought, although I did like the Tin Star Brown Butter Ghee better than the couple of other brands I found at local stores to try. The last time I made my own I used this crockpot method.

Having said all that, ghee is just not my favorite. It's okay, but I regularly go months and months without using it. I just use coconut oil, olive oil, duck fat, lard, tallow, or if I've had some compliant bacon, I'll save the grease from it to cook in. So if you don't like it, you've got other options. Don't feel like you have to have it to do Whole30.

Hi Shannon what brand is your compliant bacon, I have been trying to find meat to have with my breakfast but had no luck.  If anyone knows a place in Austin Texas I can get a Bacon or a sausage that I can have that would be great.  

I am on day 12 and I feel a lot better then I did yesterday I thought I was coming down with something my head was hurting and I just wanted to sleep.  First time I have ever been in the bed at 8:30 pm.  

43 minutes ago, CleaH said:

Hi Shannon what brand is your compliant bacon, I have been trying to find meat to have with my breakfast but had no luck.  If anyone knows a place in Austin Texas I can get a Bacon or a sausage that I can have that would be great.   

Bacon is not considered protein on Whole30, it's a fat.  The best advice we can give is to go to your own store and look at the bacon ingredients.  You can also google 'whole30 approved bacon' and you should get some results.

On March 1, 2017 at 4:17 PM, gerril28 said:

I am new here!  Day 1, March 1st and I am excited and  terrified all at once.  I am not as prepared as I should be so any suggestions are welcome.  I am overweight, 66 years old with a lot of arthritis that has pushed me into a sedentary life style and want to put it behind me.   I was afraid to tackle this life change on my own but some folks at work said they were going to do it so that is what got me to Day 1,  But everyone has a reservation here and there and I want to embrace this full on.  NO 'yea-buts'. 

I have never used a forum like this so I don't know how it works exactly so I guess I will learn. 

I know I am going to feel real crummy in the weeks to come but I have been feeling real crummy for a long time now due to bad habits of no exercise, lousy food choices, and alcohol daily.  I am hoping to see "new crummy" as hope for a better tomorrow! 

Congratulations on your decision to change your life. I'm on day 32- never done any of this before - forums- eating plans etc- I've just been really childish about my food choices (even at age 61), unconscious, uninformed, and lacked any real control over what I put into my body. My educated guess now is that sugar and alcohol and cravings they created just owned me. This plan  has helped me "grow up" and stop just going along with what everyone else in my social circle is eating and drinking. Amazed at how much support I received from my friends once I shared with them what I was doing. Sincerely, good luck to you. Thousands of others have successfully completed this program. Why not you? You got this- one day at a time.

I'm on day 10 of my 1st run through of Whole30. I've been feeling tired for about 3 days. But today I woke up after 9 hours of sleep and had no energy at all. My body hurts all over and my arms feel like there are 50 pound weights attached. Is this normal? If so how long does it last? 

48 minutes ago, Never to old said:

I'm on day 10 of my 1st run through of Whole30. I've been feeling tired for about 3 days. But today I woke up after 9 hours of sleep and had no energy at all. My body hurts all over and my arms feel like there are 50 pound weights attached. Is this normal? If so how long does it last? 

No, this isn't normal.

Are you making your meals match the meal template? (You can find that here: https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/)  Are you eating at least one serving of starchy vegetable each day? Salting your food? Drinking at least 1/2 ounce of water per pound of body weight (so a 120 lb person needs at least 60 oz per day)? Having pre and post workout meals in addition to your three regular meals on days you work out, if you work out?