Meal planning for more than 4-5 hours between meals

CyndiG

Today is day 1 of my first Whole 30. Tomorrow will be my first day of work on Whole 30, and I'm realizing that my meals will be more than 4-5 hours apart. Breakfast will be a 5:30, lunch at 12, and dinner around 6-7, depending on if I go to the gym after work. The long gaps are mostly due to my hour plus commute each way. I'm already planning a mini-meal in the late afternoon, but what can I do about the time between breakfast and lunch? I know snacking generally isn't recommended, but would it throw me off to have either a piece of fruit or a protein around the 3 hour mark?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

• Moderators

With gaps that long between meals, if you can't actually change the times of the meals, it makes sense that you'll need something to tide you over. It's best to have a combination of protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three. Avoid having fruit on its own, it can cause blood sugar spikes, and it can keep you craving sweets.

You could just have leftovers, or a hard boiled egg or two with mayo or guac and maybe some chopped vegetables.

Don't forget pre- and post-wo meals when you do work out. On days you work out, if your afternoon snack is going to be an hour or so before your workout, you could make that your pre-wo and have some protein and fat. Post-wo would just be a little bit of lean protein and optionally some starchy vegetables. These are in addition to your regular meals.

And just for the sake of adding more options to think about, make your packed lunch really big, and then eat off of it a couple times during the day.

Also for the inevitable "stuff happens" days, have cans of sardines or something kept at work.

Archived