2nd Whole30 Jan 3rd start in Brooklyn!

AnneV

Hello January Whole30ers!

My name is Anne and I live in Brooklyn, NY. This is my second Whole30 and I am starting tomorrow, January 3rd. (I know, kinda weird...but I was traveling and knew I would need today to do a proper prep for success!). Although I have done the whole30 before and feel confident and motivated to do it again I know I'm going to need a lot more support this time around. My husband is not doing it with me, I've fallen back into some pretty bad lifestyle habits, and had a couple failed whole30s this year, so I'm feeling nervous! Anyone, especially in the NYC area, would would like to buddy up for accountability and support I would love to start a community!

Here we go!

Anne

Hi Anne! I live in Brooklyn too and I'm starting the same day! Lets help each other out! This will be my second real attempt at Whole 30, although I often try to eat that way. Tomorrow will be rough to get through but if I can get through it I will be proud of myself. Made my team some cookies and will have to not indulge! So many treats at work today so hopefully I will be able to control myself. I have a very serious sweet tooth that MUST be controlled! And I am fighting a battle with caffeine so I'm going to try and stay away from coffee and stick to tea. We'll see how that goes haha. Lets DO THIS!

Hi Girls, 

I am starting my first whole30 tomorrow as well. I'm not quite sure what to expect but am excited to start eating clean and feeling better. My husband is joining me on this journey (his first time also) but I'd love some support and friendship as we experience all the ups and downs of this plan. Here we go...we can do this!!! 

Hi, I'm starting today (3rd) as well. I was also traveling and needed some time to get organized. I've never officially done the whole 30, but for the last 2 January's I've cooked using well fed by Mel joulwan. I've learned a lot about organizing the buying and cooking for a week with this book, and the food is amazing. This year I thought I'd mix it up a little and do this program. I got very lazy towards the end of last year and need to get off the sugar again!  Good luck everyone 

julia

Hiya! I'm in Manhattan, and I'll be starting my 2nd Whole 30 on January 9th.

I'm excited, but also a bit nervous.

I'm a health-supportive private chef and nutritional consultant, and I love helping people feel better. I've coached people through challenges like the whole 30 multiple times, yet I still need support around my own Whole 30.

Even though I do cook for myself, its difficult after cooking for other people for work.

I tend to keep my whole 30 meals simple. I batch cook some starchy veggies, some cruciferous, meat, hard boiled eggs, and grab a bunch of avocados, olives, nuts, and fruit. I always have a few sauces/dressings on hand, and then just mix and match most of my way through the week.

Its rare that I make a more complicated or elevated whole 30 dish/meal for myself, instead cooking those types of dishes for my clients.

A strategy I used the last time I did a whole 30 was to order some meals from Pre-Made Paleo and an emergency snack box from Barefoot Provisions to keep on hand for emergencies.

I've also got a few pint jars of chicken vegetable soup with homemade bone broth in the freezer.

Preparation and support are key!

Even though you guys are starting a bit before me, I'm gonna jump in on this thread. Looking forward to hearing everyone's updates!

Thanks MG23, these are some great suggestions, I'll give them a go.

i hope everyone made it through day 2. I have some bad habits to break, the urge to grab something sweat, especially late afternoon was really strong yesterday. I was able to distract myself by taking the dog for a walk, so I got through it. I don't go back to work until next week, and then it maybe harder.

jrs

Hi Everybody! For some reason, what I miss the most is my morning greek yogurt, as it seems to do my body so much good! Does anyone have any suggestions for a way to get all that protein and probiotics in without having to pay a ton of money for expensive probiotics? All suggestions welcome!

RW

Sauerkraut and kimchee are my favorite probiotics. :)

(However, I should also say that that supplemental probiotics may be able to reach further down your gut than fermented foods, so that is why many times BOTH are recommended, especially if you've got leaky gut or crohns or IBS. Prescript Assist is a higher end supplement, PB8 by Jarrow is more affordable yet solid quality.)

I've had many breakfasts with some sort of eggs/meat with kimchee or sauerkraut with roasted potatoes. 

Another benefit of sauerkraut is that its a good source of Vitamin C!

http://bodyecology.com/articles/sauerkraut-is-a-superior-source-of-vitamin-c

Hi everyone! 

I'm Rheanna and I live in Northern VA. I also started my Whole30 on January 3rd. I thought by now (day 3) I'd have the headaches/withdrawal symptoms hitting me big time, but it hasn't happened yet. Anyone else not feeling as bad as they thought they'd be?

I did go into it having a nasty cold/sinus infection (started the night of the 2nd) so I'm wondering if that's just masking any discomfort. I'm worrying that I've overlooked some kind of additive or something along the way even though I was super diligent in my shopping/food prep.

Any help would be appreciated!

Hi Rheanna, 

I wish I could say the same...unfortunately I've had a killer headache for 2 days. I'm. It sure if it is caffeine withdraw (even though I had worked myself down to decaf coffee before the program and started drinking tea when I started whole30) or if it's just withdraw from all the inflammatory stuff I had been putting in my body prior to now. Either way, it's killin me. 

So far, so good. I find the toughest thing is making breakfast. I never ate breakfast before now so eating in the morning is tough especially since it's supposed to be balanced with protein veggies and fat. Anyone else hitting some tough spots? 

Any good recipes to share? 

Keep up the great work everyone!!

My coffee/breakfast timing was definitely one of my biggest challenges in my last Whole 30. Not being hungry in the morning was only exacerbated by making a coffee to go and drinking it on my way to work. If I can force down a hard boiled egg before/during my coffee in the morning, I'll call that a win.

I have this association of eating with relaxing, and as a chef its super hard to pause during my work day to take time to feed myself. The adrenaline is part of the "sense of urgency" that makes a chef successful, but it squashes hunger and eventually burns out your adrenals. Coffee doesn't help.

I've taken to making a super-charged coffee, whether I'm doing a whole 30 or not. Pour-over organic Mexican light roast, full fat coconut milk, coconut oil, Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides, and a touch of Manuka honey (no honey for the whole30). Winter begs for a heavy sprinkle of cardamom.

I've been eating up all my non-compliant food this past week, because I just hate wasting food, and slowly incorporating more whole 30 foods.

The past few days I've spent prepping: Two 2 organic chickens, roasted and shredded, frozen in 1-lb vacuum-sealed bags, roasted beets, roasted rutabaga with garam masala, roasted cauliflower, and started a batch of homemade sauerkraut. Up next is sautéd red cabbage with apple and onion, lemon-tahini-garlic sauce, a batch of bone-broth from my leftover carcasses, and hard-boiling a bunch of eggs.

Something I had considered was trying the autoimmune protocol this round, but if anything, I'll implement that in the latter half of my 30 days. It seems a bit overwhelming to try to do that now.

What has everyone else been eating this past week?

Archived