Starting Jan 8th, looking for buddies!

Tatchyana

1 hour ago, Christineamd said:

Thanks for the tip. I had been considering using Real Plans. Even though you're eating loads of leftover chicken, I like the fact that it sounds cost effective. That's one issue I'm facing is that my grocery bill is so high and I have to go to the store every other day for something. I may sign up for Real Plans as well. 

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-easy-shredded-chicken-in-the-slow-cooker-231481

here is a link showing how to make tons of chicken in slow cooker. Then you can freeze shredded portions, defrost in microwave for one minute when ready to eat, and use in so many ways. Don't know where you live but Trader Joe's has good prices on frozen seafood and meat. 

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Rkrzywda said:

I find that shredded chicken tends to dry out quickly in the fridge or freezer. Any tips? What am I doing wrong?

Oh I haven't tried it! Roasting a whole chicken then shredding it works well for me but is messier and harder work. I am not surprised these chicken breasts stay dry. Did you add water? I've seen instructions adding broth or water in the slow cooker

Jumping in here, this will be my 4th whole 30.... I had been very successful maintaining a good balance for 2 years... then things got food crazy. I stopped being so careful and was very lax about working out. The combination has not worked out well at all. Right now I am trying to get my food and workout habits back in order and am conecntrated on reducing some stress in my life as well. I am a 38 year old female , married with 3 stepkids. I have had lots of stress over the past 6 months and I need to get my groove back. 

I actually started on the Whole 30 path last week, but knew I was attending a banquet over the weekend, so my true start date is today. Here's to 30 days of no excuses and good food!

Hi all, this is my first Whole30 and I too started on the 8th. Im nervous and excited to see how my health and food fixation changes. I'm definitely overweight, more than I'd like to admit. I hate seeing pictures of myself. I'm a 47 yo mom of 9, 7 still at home. I also just recently became a Nonni. Our youngest is 5 and I realize that I cannot take chances with my health. My goal is to get to day 31 and say "I can go longer!" I want to enjoy exercising and being strong. I want to see food as fuel, not be fueled by desire for food. I look forward to sharing this experience with you. 

For dinner I heated leftover chicken w Jamaican jerk seasoning and olive oil, red peppers, and mango; then made lettuce cups with that mixture plus fresh spring onion, cucumber, jalapeño, mint, and cilantro. Some lime and a few crushed almonds on top for crunch. Really good! All the fun of a sandwich without the yucky bread; all the freshness of a salad But you eat it with your hands!  After I posted earlier today I had a moment to really reflect on how far my health, wellness, and appearance have declined in 4-5 yeas. Ugh. It's going to take a lot of work. I've basically put my professional pursuits on hold for now as I'm finally ready to make taking care of myself a priority (I hope). Usually I fall off the wagon after 4 days, posting a lot will I hope keep me honest. 

On 1/8/2017 at 11:18 AM, Christineamd said:

Would it be easier for us to follow each other this month if we set up a closed Facebook page for this group? May be easier for us to check the messages more easily, share pics, etc. Just a thought. I can try to set one up if others are interested as well. 

That works for me!  It is harder to follow the threads in this forum, at least for me :)

39 minutes ago, Overeducatedopinion said:

For dinner I heated leftover chicken w Jamaican jerk seasoning and olive oil, red peppers, and mango; then made lettuce cups with that mixture plus fresh spring onion, cucumber, jalapeño, mint, and cilantro. Some lime and a few crushed almonds on top for crunch. Really good! All the fun of a sandwich without the yucky bread; all the freshness of a salad But you eat it with your hands!  After I posted earlier today I had a moment to really reflect on how far my health, wellness, and appearance have declined in 4-5 yeas. Ugh. It's going to take a lot of work. I've basically put my professional pursuits on hold for now as I'm finally ready to make taking care of myself a priority (I hope). Usually I fall off the wagon after 4 days, posting a lot will I hope keep me honest. 

I LOVE bowls or lettuce wrap versions of meals usually served with tortillas or taco shells. Tonight we had blackened mahi mahi with mango, cilantro, salsa.  I had mine over sweet potato and shredded cabbage, and the rest of the family had rice and beans.  I'm doing tacos on Thursday, and the adaptation for me will be lettuce leaves instead of taco shells.  I also prefer burgers as lettuce wraps, as the bun is so filling, so that's an easy compliant meal for me.

So I started working out again this morning- T25 by Beachbody.  I've done the program before and love it because 1) it's only 25 minutes a day and I get results and 2) there's one person on the video who adapts everything to be low impact, which is good for me with joint and low back issues.  I was really hungry way before lunch and went back and read about the pre and post workout "meals."  For anyone who has done W30 before, do you have suggestions for this?  I understand it can be more of a snack than a meal, which is good because I'm getting up at 5 am to workout before starting my day and I don't really have time to get up earlier to eat and then wait 15 minutes before working out.  I'm thinking 1/2 boiled egg with ghee before workout (protein and fat), and the other half of the egg with sweet potato post workout (protein and starchy veg).  Does this sound reasonable?  I'll vary it I'm sure once I go shopping again, but that's what I have on hand for now.  Thoughts?  Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Tatchyana said:

So I started working out again this morning- T25 by Beachbody.  I've done the program before and love it because 1) it's only 25 minutes a day and I get results and 2) there's one person on the video who adapts everything to be low impact, which is good for me with joint and low back issues.  I was really hungry way before lunch and went back and read about the pre and post workout "meals."  For anyone who has done W30 before, do you have suggestions for this?  I understand it can be more of a snack than a meal, which is good because I'm getting up at 5 am to workout before starting my day and I don't really have time to get up earlier to eat and then wait 15 minutes before working out.  I'm thinking 1/2 boiled egg with ghee before workout (protein and fat), and the other half of the egg with sweet potato post workout (protein and starchy veg).  Does this sound reasonable?  I'll vary it I'm sure once I go shopping again, but that's what I have on hand for now.  Thoughts?  Thanks!

I'm a complete novice but I've seen people say they'll have sausage for the pre- and then sausage plus sweet potato for the post.

18 minutes ago, Tatchyana said:

That works for me!  It is harder to follow the threads in this forum, at least for me :)

Hi! I'd rather stay off Facebook which can suck up too much time (and emotional energy) for me. I just keep this window open in my browser and scroll through it when I want to. You can also "follow" and have emails sent to you summarizing the activity here. I hope that's ok!! Don't leave me for FB!! 

Hi everyone! Day 2 over! 28 more to go. 

Today for breakfast I had a sweet plantain and apple hash with fried egg (a recipe I found on Pinterest). Liking black unsweetened coffe more every day! For lunch and dinner, I boiled a whole chicken breast and made potato salad with carrots, walnuts and the half apple I didn't use in the morning, with my own mayonnaise (I didn't like the olive oil taste, will try with avocado oil). The whole family had the same meal, so far only the girl's breakfast hasn't been Whole30.  At dinner I also had a cup of the chicken soup because it got really cold tonight! (Saved the chicken bone for broth).

Loved this phrase!!

8 hours ago, MadscienceM said:

Here's to 30 days of no excuses and good food!

So far, good energy levels, just a very mild headache in the morning. This morning I stepped into the scale (didn't do it on the weekend) and took the "before" pictures. Those were kind of hard to see afterwards but serve for record and comparison. 

What are your plans for tomorrow? I had all the ingredients so I got away with not going out of the house today but tomorrow I must buy lots and lots of green leafy vegetables and try to find sweet potatoes! Wish me luck.

We can do this. Really.

Hi!  I started Whole30 January 9th.  I would love to join this group and have support and inspiration from other people on this journey.  I'm 53 and have a few health issues I'm hoping healthier eating will help.  My weight loss goal is 10-15 lbs.  

The prep work I see is going to be vital to success. Good luck everyone! 

Hi all! Everyone seems to be doing so good! I feel so accomplished as well.  I'm enjoying reading everyone's posts and excitements!!! We've got this!!!! 

My biggest struggles are the snacks. Yesterday I ate some compliant salami pieces I found at Aldi, they tasted fine but smelled terrible. Also had a mixture of dried cranberries and almonds andcashews. Couldn't get much fruit and veggies at Aldi because their shipments were delayed due to the storm. Now I have to wait til later in the week. Just working my way day by day through the week. 

For breakfast I had two eggs fried in clarified butter and compliant bacon. Lunch was a salad with a buffalo burger crumpled on it and Tessamaes ranch dressing. Last night for dinner I made broccoli slaw, which was super yummy, and bacon wrapped chicken. Hubby had what I had but ate a bun and BBQ sauce. For the kids I made BBQ chicken and homemade buns. Man I wanted that BBQ sauce! But my will is set and I prevailed. I will be making ketchup and BBQ sauce this weekend! 

Ive come to enjoy black coffee as well, I didn't put a lot of creamer in my coffee to begin with and not sugar at all. So this part wasn't to terribly hard. 

I'm making my own sausage patties this morning with eggs for breakfast. I am missing cheese right now but know that it's better to stay on course. 

Im a bit more tired today and my body is feeling like a Mack truck ran over it. Was hoping to get past these days without too much trouble. I also have a slight headache. Maybe today's one of those chill days but I have to get school done with the kiddos. Have a blessed day All. Thanks for companionship through this. 

11 hours ago, Tatchyana said:

I think your workout "meals" sound reasonable. I usually don't have anything beforehand, but I eat a protein + starchy veg afterward. The egg and sweet potato sounds perfect. 

• Administrators

For those wondering about a Facebook group, please remember that there are no official ones and no moderators would come visit you there so if things did get off track or you were having troubles......let's just say sometimes we notice tweaks people can make before they get too far behind the 8-ball.

For instance, @Overeducatedopinion - the breakfast porridge you were referring to really has no place on your Whole30. It's replicating old standards and is likely nut and/or fruit heavy. For best results we recommend that you follow the meal template at all three meals. Protein, fat and veggie. And remember that although nuts are an approved fat source, they are recommended to be limited; think one closed handful every other day at most. 

1 hour ago, Pam Baker said:

My biggest struggles are the snacks. Yesterday I ate some compliant salami pieces I found at Aldi, they tasted fine but smelled terrible. Also had a mixture of dried cranberries and almonds andcashews. Couldn't get much fruit and veggies at Aldi because their shipments were delayed due to the storm. Now I have to wait til later in the week. Just working my way day by day through the week.

I've been trying to limit snacks unless I'm super hungry or after workouts. So far for snacks I've had a boiled egg, a few plantain chips w guacamole, a handful of berries, and Larabars. I always keep a Larabar on me if I'm out and need to eat something. 

We have an Aldi being built nearby. I can't wait for it to open! 

Hi everyone! Day 3! Bring it on! 

So far I'm feeling pretty good. Last night I made grilled coconut curry chicken from the W30 book and roasted brussel sprouts. So good! Even my kids ate the chicken, I couldn't believe it. Today I'll have leftovers of that for lunch. I think dinner we are grilling steak and making green beans. Need to get to the store today to stock up on a few things, like sweet potatoes and berries. 

One thing I'm challenged with this week is that my birthday is coming up. Typically on my birthday we would go out to dinner, I would eat whatever I want, have dessert and drink a lot of wine. ;) This year, I'm not sure what to do.... I'm planning on cooking something at home and celebrating in ways that don't involve food, like getting a pedicure. Even though I kind-of have a plan in mind, I'm still nervous that when the days rolls around I'll be missing out. Additionally, my book club meets that night and I'm already getting pressure from my friends to go because they want to celebrate with me- which of course involves cake and champagne. Ugh. Would appreciate any recommendations on how to handle these situations! 

Hope everyone has a great Day 3! 

12 hours ago, Overeducatedopinion said:

Hi! I'd rather stay off Facebook which can suck up too much time (and emotional energy) for me. I just keep this window open in my browser and scroll through it when I want to. You can also "follow" and have emails sent to you summarizing the activity here. I hope that's ok!! Don't leave me for FB!! 

Hah- I definitely feel you there. I've been trying to clean up my feed so I see things that are more in line with my goals this year- like seeing more posts by Kayla Istines ( I do her BBG workout program- it's awesome), various Dave Ramsey groups and I've added a lot of W30 posts. So far that's helping so that at least when I look at FB, I'm seeing things that are inspiring me to move towards meeting my goals. We won't leave you for FB! :) 

Hmm, I try my best not to have snacks. That's my learning from my first whole 30 last year. I find that snacks are part of a slippery slope for *me* and can sort of be "gateway" triggers or stands-ins for sugar delivery vehicles. ie. wanting fruit + almond butter as a stand-in instead of a pastry etc. And I'm trying to be more conscious and break that snack/sugar addiction cycle. If I'm out for the day then I will sometimes pack an emergency snack (hardboiled egg or RX bar) but I generally try to be vigilant about sticking to 3 satisfying meals per day. It's what works best for me. :)

The exception being if I'm doing a demanding workout and it will be more than an hour before I get home.

Hi everyone! Just checking in. Feeling okay so far - a little headache but it's dull. 

@evaq I'm having trouble with snacking too. I gave in yesterday because I was felling legitimately hungry and had a Lara bar, which I know isn't the best option but it's what I had. I'm also used to 4-5 mini meals so the 3 solid meals is a change for me. 

Other than that, things are going pretty well! I may not have anyone doing this with me in real life, but plenty of people are checking in with me, which I really appreciate. 

Hello, everyone. Started my second Whole30 on 1/9 and would like to join you. I am a working mom of 3 grown daughters; going through some body changes (i.e. stubborn weight and thick middle). Loved my first Whole30. Really missed having a glass of wine, but other than that, felt so much better that it's worth doing it again. Good luck to everyone. My favorite recipe from Whole30: the chicken meatballs. I do everything the same, but I use organic lean ground beef. Also, I make the sausage patties every week. Often, I'll put them in a bowl with spinach, and then either steam the spinach or just eat it as a "breakfast salad" with lemon juice and olive oil. Breakfast is tough. It has made me save leftovers for the first time in my life. I actually appreciate having them when I'm trying to figure out breakfast.

Happy day 3 all! Duly noted re: porridge, thank you. I know I could do better w/r/t meal template and proportions. So far it's a good victory just avoiding grains, wine, and cheese and I didn't want to make too many complications/opportunities for failure right from the start. I'm out all day so I packed a lunch; I just ate a boiled egg and some olives. I had such a nice afternoon with my daughter yesterday and I felt like I'm already being rewarded. :) continued good luck to us all!!

Archived