Dorktacular

I love you food pics!  

My go to this week for lunches for the office this week consisted of  canned chicken (Costco), diced mangos and avocado.  Mix together and enjoy in a lettuce wrap.  

I've also found I am especially fond of a baked sweet potato with some baked diced apples and ghee all mashed together.  Helped to curb my need for comfort winter food and sweet tooth.  Served with hard boiled egg on the side for protein.  

1 hour ago, Anji Branch said:

I love you food pics!  

My go to this week for lunches for the office this week consisted of  canned chicken (Costco), diced mangos and avocado.  Mix together and enjoy in a lettuce wrap.  

I've also found I am especially fond of a baked sweet potato with some baked diced apples and ghee all mashed together.  Helped to curb my need for comfort winter food and sweet tooth.  Served with hard boiled egg on the side for protein.  

That all sounds fantastic!  Especially the lettuce wrap and baked potatoes with apples!  I once made a sweet potato and apple mash and it was fabulous.

Your lunches sound so delicious.

@jmcbn. Thank you for reaching out to me.  I would love to chat more about how I could tweak my meals to better curb hunger and cravings, I am always looking to improve my health and habits!  I do wish that the member who turned you onto my log reached out to me as well, I would have been completely open to feedback and support from anyone.

Day Nineteen:

Spending the weekend with my friends and they completely blew me away.  They know I am doing Whole30 and they researched the program and recipes so that they could support me while I am with them.  I am so grateful to have that amount of love and support.  I am also completely blown away by my husband who went out of his way to deliver the seltzer that I accidentally left behind.  :wub:

While driving to their place two hours from me, I had to navigate lunch on the road, which was interesting.  I think I didn't have enough to eat, or it wasn't as balanced as it could be.

My food for today:

Sweet potato, eggs, avocado, banana

Leftover chicken curry and cauliflower rice

Spaghetti squash, leftover sweet potato and turkey chili, sautéd mushrooms with garlic, avocado

Changes/Reflections/Sensations

Since receiving some helpful feedback today I have been trying to be more mindful about snacking.

IMG_20170120_222750_638.jpg

3 hours ago, Dorktacular said:

I would love to chat more about how I could tweak my meals to better curb hunger and cravings

If you can let me know a little more about your schedule I'd be glad to help.... What time do you get up/go to bed etc? What time do you train?

Good job on the avocado today - that will definitely help with satiety.

One thing I would say is since you're also taking photos of your meals use those to help you - look at your breakfast for instance - to you, what dominates the plate? Then if you see it doesn't meet the template (ie. 1-2 palm sized pieces of protein - remembering that a serving of eggs is as many as you can hold in one hand, usually 3-4 for females, 1-3 cups of vegetables, and a generous serving of fat, fruit if desired, maximum x2 fist sized servings and day & fruit should never push veg off of your plate) then adjust accordingly. So for me, the banana looks to dominate, so I'd have added another egg (or maybe some sausage), some more veg, and most likely skipped the banana.

The interesting thing about fruit & starch (potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnsips etc) is that when eaten first thing, having fasted overnight, can negatively impact blood sugar & appetite. Many people report that they eat one breakfast one day & be fine right through until lunch. Then the next day they eat the exact same breakfast PLUS fruit (or sweet potato) & they struggle to make it past mid morning without reaching for a snack... Worth thinking about.

Sounds like you've a great weekend ahead with some great friends - enjoy!

'twas me, @Dorktacular -- wasn't trying to hide in the shadows or anything :ph34r: but since I do the low carb/keto thing I thought it might seem overly-biased if I commented on your fruit/starch choices.  Hope it didn't feel like I was calling down the mod squad on ya, I just knew @jmcbn would have room under her wing :D

Day Twenty:

Spent the day with friends on bridesmaid duty.  I tried to improve my breakfast based on the feedback that I had received - though I only had the food that I had brought with me to work with.  We missed lunch due to running errands, and I definitely felt hungry, so grabbed a quick snack of turkey meatballs and banana an hour before actually eating dinner.  Everyone else ordered pizza and drank wine and I was able to get through it with my own leftovers and kombucha, though I did experience some cravings.  But, it wasn't painful and everyone was super supportive and validating and I don't feel like I missed out on anything :)

My food for today:
Two eggs, turkey meatballs, sweet potato, avocado, carrots (there is a mandarin in the photo, but I chose not to eat it)
Banana, two turkey meatballs
Leftover chicken curry over lettuce

Changes/Reflections/Sensations:
I was able to keep up my exercise routine and my good while I was spending time with friends, so I feel really good about that!
I didn't really feel like I missed out on the food I couldn't eat.  My curry was awesome and I don't have to worry about feeling sick or guilty tomorrow

Day 20.jpg

@kirkor I am totally open to any suggestions you may have!  Don't be afraid to comment with suggestions or concerns, that's why we're here!

@jmcbn I usually eat breakfast between 5:30-6:30am (depending on when I wake up) and I try to eat lunch around 11am-12pm, depending on how crazy my work is.  Though the earlier I eat breakfast the earlier I get hungry, of course.  I really try not to eat lunch at 10:30am because I know I won't be able to make it until I get home.  I usually get out of work around 5pm and depending on whether it is my turn to cook, I could eat dinner at 5:30pm, 6pm, or 6:30pm.  I train later in the evening to let my food digest, usually about 7:30pm.

I tried to take in your suggestions this weekend, though I was a little limited due to what I had already packed for my friends house, but it sounds like I need to up my protein and non-starch veggies in the morning and generally decrease how much fruit I am consuming.  

And I have to admit, this time around I am not as strict on myself about grazing and snacking as I was the first time around.  I think it has to do with a lot of factors including stress and comfort with the program.  So, for my own gain, I will try to be a little more disciplined.  

Any more feedback is welcome!  Thank you for taking the time out to check on me :)

Day Twenty-One:  

Came home from my ladies' weekend today.  We had so much fun, though I didn't sleep well.  I was able to maintain Whole30 and my exercise routine, and they were all so supportive, so I am feeling proud, pumped, and loved.  Tiger Blood?

However, when I did get home I had a dried apricot and a few blueberries and there was a chain reaction inside me that caused some gastrointestinal happenings.  So I am trying to piece together what could have happened, and I wonder if it was a mixture of the kombucha, starch, and fruit that I had in the day.  It might have been just too much naturally occurring sugar.  So I am making an effort to cut down for the rest of Whole30, for digestion purposes and to calm down the Sugar Dragon that's most likely feeding my grazing and snacking (that and residual stress from work).

We didn't meal plan or prep this weekend because I was away, though my husband did go grocery shopping, so hopefully we can play it by ear.  I've already planned out my meals for tomorrow, which is good, and maybe we'll have some time throughout the week to think ahead.  

My food for today:
Aidell's chicken and apple sausage, avocado, sweet potato, tangerine
Chicken meatballs, nuts, lettuce, and hot sauce
Dried apricot, blueberries 
Coleslaw with pineapple (husband's recipe), pulled beef (which I also found out had pineapple), bbq sauce, roasted potatoes, roasted sweet potatoes, roasted butternut squash
Grape tomatoes, nuts that my husband roasted, more roasted vegetables from dinner (again, grazing)

I need to cut down on the starches and other naturally occurring sugars for multiple reasons
I'm going to try to add more green vegetables to my diet
I've been feeling a little more energized with less cravings, so I am hoping some Tiger Blood is happening

Day 21.jpg

4 hours ago, Dorktacular said:

I usually eat breakfast between 5:30-6:30am (depending on when I wake up) and I try to eat lunch around 11am-12pm, depending on how crazy my work is.  Though the earlier I eat breakfast the earlier I get hungry, of course.  I really try not to eat lunch at 10:30am because I know I won't be able to make it until I get home.  I usually get out of work around 5pm and depending on whether it is my turn to cook, I could eat dinner at 5:30pm, 6pm, or 6:30pm.

I usually eat breakfast @ 6:30am and don't eat lunch until 1:30pm. I drink A LOT of water from around 9:30-12:00 and then I power through until lunch @ 1:30. It's definitely do-able, but I never eat fruit at breakfast these days. On the occasions I have done I've been hungry by 11am, and itching to eat by 12. If you upped the protein at breakfast and ditched the fruit I'd say it would be easy enough for you then to make it through until dinner without the need for snacks. And since you do quite a bit of cooking if you cooked a little extra each time there'd always be left-overs for dinner meaning you'd not need time to cook in the evenings.... Just a thought!

Day Twenty-Two:
Reduced my fruit and carbs today and attempted to up my protein all around, and I felt pretty good!  I was less hungry in between meals, two of which I had at work today due to a later commitment in the evening.  I did have the desire to snack when I got home at about 8:30, but I was able to keep that at bay until my stomach began to rumble at 9:15, and then I grabbed some almonds.

It's rest day for working out, but I will be back at it again tomorrow.  And I drank 64 oz of water today, so I'm feeling pretty hydrated.  Now, if only I can catch up on all the sleep I lost on my ladies' weekend!

My food for today:
Spinach, avocado, tomato, hot sauce, and Adelle's chicken and apple sausage
Leftover pulled beef (with pineapple), coleslaw (with pineapple), and roasted potatoes and butternut squash; mandarin orange
Lettuce with carrots, broccoli, two eggs, nuts, nutritional yeast, and balsamic vinegar; banana
Smoked almonds

Tired today, but I'm sure it's from lack of sleep
By staving of snacking today I am recognizing how active my food addiction has been, even if I have been eating all Whole30 compliant food

Day 22.jpg

@jmcbn Thank you for the suggestions!  I usually try to eat leftovers for lunch or repurpose them for dinner, though when the husband and I have a "fend for yourself night" leftovers usually play a bigger role.

I will definitely up my protein and decrease my fruit in the morning and see how I feel.

Day Twenty-Three:

Continued with my tweaks to my Whole30 diet - no carbs or fruit during breakfast and no snacking throughout the day.  Feeling good!  Still getting hungry every 5 hours or so, but I am able to power through.  I am also continuing to drink 64oz of water a day and today was a workout day.  I'm not sure if I have the Tiger Blood feeling, but I have energy and my mood is stable, so I'll take it!

My food for today:
Spinach, eggs, almonds, tomatoes, avocado, hot sauce
Leftover pulled beef, left over coleslaw, green beans, mandarin orange
Chicken stir fry over lettuce with creamy cashew sauce drizzle and a banana
Post workout meal - egg, hot sauce, small white potato, green beans

Like last Whole30, I plan to do a slow roll introduction to continue to work on decreasing cravings, snacking, and my Sugar Dragon.  I considered extending it to a Whole45, but I have a social outing in the first week of February that I am looking forward to partaking in, which includes wine, and to be honest I want that wine!  

Day 23.jpg

Day Twenty-Four:

Definitely feeling the lack of meal prep this week (I was away this past weekend and was not able to prepare) in terms of breakfast and what veggies are available, but I am making due with frozen vegetables.  Continuing to keep on trucking to increase protein - both meat and plant based.  Got a little hungry a few hours after dinner tonight, so I did snack on some almonds and dried apricots.  I think overall my dinner lacked green vegetables and sustainable protein.  I am continuing to do 64oz of water a day and today was an exercise day.   Feeling good, but I definitely think I hit that mark of "When will this be over?"  Which is interesting because I don't plan on really changing anything, I think I just want the option again.  This is different from my last Whole30 where I was still bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.  I think mentally and emotionally this Whole30 has been different for me and a big part of it is that the newness is gone.  Don't get me wrong, I am really glad that I did this, but because it isn't a challenge just to do it anymore it is challenging me in other ways.  If that makes sense.

My food for today:
3 hard boiled eggs, avocado, green beans, tomatoes, hot sauce
Chicken stir fry salad, almonds, green beans, creamy cashew sauce, apple
Breadless chicken BLT with homemade ketchup, potatoes, mandarin orange
Dried apricots, almonds

Tiger Blood gone?  Maybe lack of meal prep and new recipes are contributing to this "meh" feeling.  

Day 24.jpg

Hey @Dorktacular - your dinner looks *really* light on protein which would explain the hunger later. Look at the size of the chicken in proportion to the mandarin orange - unless there was more chicken out of shot? If there wasn't this look more like the amount I'd eat fro a postWO meal rather than a dinner, PLUS this was an exercise day fro you... Where is your postWO meal?

Hi @jmcbn.  The picture doesn't do the protein justice.  There is a chicken "bun" underneath the green and the lettuce as well as pieces of compliant bacon.  But I do think that more protein should have been added to the meal.

I don't always do a post workout meal.  Usually I workout about an hour after I eat and there are times where I still feel like I'm burping up dinner.  Last night's workout was an especially light one - it was only 20 minutes and I burned a little under 100 calories, so I didn't think one was necessary - I've been reading articles on fitness sites that have mixed reviews on eating after working out, and I wasn't sure that my light workout warranted a meal afterwards.

Day Twenty Five:

Plans fell through this evening to meet a friend at a restaurant, which I was actually not that upset about.  My plan with my husband was to eat before we went - that way we wouldn't have to navigate staying Whole30 while out (because even though we would ask all the questions I still would not fully trust that the meal was totally Whole30 compliant - maybe it's my latent control freak coming out?).  I'm looking forward to tomorrow being Friday, I'll have some time then to research recipes for next week that are more inspiring than this week's have been, which may get me out of my funk.  I'm also really trying to limit/eliminate snacking.  Admitting to myself and others that I was more liberal this time around with that has been difficult because it made me do what I didn't want to do - stop.  I have been relying on it as a way to comfort myself and as a way to feed my Sugar Dragon, both bad habits that I picked up while eating Whole30ish after my first Whole30.  I fell prey to the idea that I could continue these habits during this month and that it wasn't really a problem, but I see that it was, so I am trying to scramble to undo some of the damage while also being gentle with myself about not doing a "Perfect Whole30" because there is no such thing, and getting down on myself has only stopped me from making progress in the past.  

My food for today:
Scrambled eggs with avocado, shredded carrots, spinach, tomato, and hot sauce
Aidell's chicken apple sausage; steamed cauliflower and broccoli; and a big friggin' banana - I really didn't realize how big it was until I put it next to the rest of the food
Roasted tomatoes stuffed with leftover pulled beef; cauliflower rice with tomato and the rest of the creamy cashew sauce
A couple of dried apricots

I'm noticing change in my gastrointestinal life now that I have cut down on potatoes and upped the greens
I'm feeling pretty decent with a good amount of energy throughout the day

Day 25.jpg

Day Twenty-Six, Twenty-Seven, and Twenty-Eight:

I'm not dead!  Traveling has made it difficult to post in the forum, but I did maintain Whole30 and made sure to take pictures of my food so I can post.  These past few days have brought on some revelations.  One in particular was not so good.  While grocery shopping my husband realized that the tomato paste that he had used for his BBQ sauce (which is sitting in a mason jar in the fridge and has been used to flavor a few different meals for us) contained soybean oil and sugar.  He swore he had checked it at the store when he originally bought it, but he did not check it again before putting it in his sauce.  So.  Yeah.  He felt really bad and we are no longer eating the sauce.  That combined with the fact that I finally feel like I am hitting my stride and having more energy has made me decide to stretch my Whole30 to a Whole45.  I want to keep this momentum going.  The first 2-3 weeks of Whole30 was fraught with cravings and snacking, and I finally think I hit Tiger Blood and I want to fully feel the benefit.  Another sign that I should push it to Whole45 was that I could not wait until this Whole30 was over - which to me meant that I could not wait to go back to my old ways.  So, all in all, I need more time to make sure this program works for me and that I am working the program.

Now, my food for the last few days, posted in order.  You'll see that my food for today was weird, and some hotel living was part of that equation.  (Also!  We tried a new meatball recipe - Bora Bora Fireballs.  Game.  Changer.)

Day 26.jpg

Day 27.jpg

Day 28.jpg

Day Twenty-Nine and Day Thirty:

Yay!  I am feeling energized and ready to extend my program another 15 days.  For the next fifteen days I am really going to focus on incorporating exercise into my routine (in progress) and apply the feedback that I have gotten in this forum and really try to tighten up my habits/food choices.  My friend is deciding to add another 30 days onto her program, so it will be nice that we can help each other as we both navigate our first Whole30+.  I don't want to focus too much on any victories yet, because it feels like I am just getting started, and I want to be as committed to 45 days as I was to 30.  So I did not measure, take pictures, weigh myself, or make a comprehensive list of the non-scale victories today.  I did help my husband do that (he is choosing to keep his program at 30 days) and it was great to celebrate with him.  He is really floored by the results and is now looking to begin to mindfully reintroduce foods.

Attached are the pictures of my food for yesterday and today (in that order)

My food for today:
Kitchen sink scrambled eggs with hot sauce and almonds
Salad with lettuce, broccoli, carrots, almonds, tomatoes, an egg, bora bora fireballs, and balsamic vinegar; apple
Crispy swoodles made with white sweet potatoes, carrots, zucchini, and bacon; bora bora fireballs; banana
Dried Apricots
Post workout mini-meal - egg with hot sauce; left over scraps from spiralized vegetables; small amount of pineapple

Feeling pumped!
I did notice that I am breaking out a little, which is odd.
Exercising has definitely helped to increase my strength and stamina
The new recipes that we have used so far this week have definitely pushed me out of my food rut

Day 29.jpg

Day 30.jpg

Day Thirty-One:

Skipped the workout today in favor of getting to bed at a decent hour - my workouts have been pushing back my bed time, which has me waking up later than I want to and getting to work later than planned.  I'm still very motivated and excited that I am extending my Whole30 to a Whole45, though today was not my best day.  My husband made another batch of sticky coconut amino almonds, which are my kryptonite.  I love putting them on my salads and they are helpful as a fat for my breakfast (my avocados still have not ripened yet and I bought them Saturday!), but they trigger my grazing like whoa.  I also decided to have an orange after dinner (not pictured) as well as a couple of dried apricots (also something I tend to graze on).  So I'm going to place the apricots in the big fridge that I don't go into as much and keep the almonds on a shelf out of sight - only to be used during meals.

My food for today:
Kitchen sink scrambled eggs, hot sauce, sticky coconut amino almonds
Salad with chili lime sausage (thanks Wegman's!), lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, sticky coconut amino almonds, balsamic vinegar; banana
Almonds at work (raw) because I left a little later than normal
Chicken, salad (same as lunch minus sausage and balsamic vinegar); homemade Whole30 Ranch; baked potato with homemade horseradish mayo
Red Navel Orange, dried apricots

Still breaking out
Gastrointestinal issues have been increasing over the past few days

Day 31.jpg

Day Thirty-Two:

Had some weird gastrointestinal stuff this morning.  I'm wondering if it is due to all the salad I had last night.   Feeling good, though starting having some small regrets that I extended the program - but that's only because my outing with my coworkers is tomorrow and I am currently wishing that I could drink and be silly with them.  But, I am trying to remind myself that the whole reason that I am going is to be social - not to drink - and that I can still be silly with them without getting buzzed.  I also snacked some when I got home from work today and also some after dinner.  The snacking is not a substantial amount, and it is still Whole30 compliant food, and so I am trying to take a harm-reduction approach rather than beating myself up that I could not remain "abstinent".  Reduce shame, just do better next time.  

I am also feeling a little hopeless today when it comes to my body.  I have lost over 60 pounds in the past two and a half years, mostly due to changing eating habits, and it's really time to start strength training to tighten and get rid of excess fat - all of which seems daunting and impossible.  So I guess self-doubt is setting in today.  But that's not everyday, and I have to keep pushing forward even when I have days where I feel like I won't be able to reach my goals.

My food for today:
Breakfast salad - lettuce, tomatoes, shredded carrots, egg, bora bora fireball, avocado, hot sauce
Cilantro Lime sausage, yellow pepper, sweet potato, avocado, apple
Sticky almonds, part of an egg that exploded while my husband was hard boiling it
Chicken with red curry paste, roasted brussels sprouts with red chili vinaigrette, red navel orange
Dried apricots, sticky almonds

Gastrointestinal stuff
Need to practice more mindfulness in the kitchen when around "free-range" foods that trigger snacking
Need to continue to practice radical acceptance of my body where it is at as well as working towards my goals and reminding myself of the progress I have made

Day 32.jpg

Days Thirty-Three through Thirty Six:

I have been sucking at updating this log!  But the truth is that I had social outings Friday, Saturday, and Sunday that took up some time and distracted me from posting.  The good news is that at each social outing I was able to make choices that allowed me to be Whole30 compliant throughout.  It wasn't without it's challenges - on Saturday we went out to a diner for an early Galentine's Day celebration and everyone at the table got dessert.  And since it was a diner, they had massive slices of cake.  That was the hardest part.  I have been craving cake on and off throughout this Whole45, and I was proud of myself that I made it out on the other side.  I am also proud that I made it out of each social outing without drinking alcohol - which has been another craving of mine.  I also spoke to my husband about no longer having dried apricots in the house (or if he has them he does not let me know and keeps them in a special place) because they have become my new trigger food in absence of my old vices.  I just need to be done with them.

Below are the pictures of my food (Day 35, Day 36, Day 33, Day 34 (because the pictures uploaded weirdly)).  Each picture, except for the last, is missing the meal that I ate at the restaurant and/or party during my social gathering.  

My food for today:
Kitchen sink scrambled eggs with avocado and an orange
Chicken and apple sausage, green beans, homemade coleslaw, banana
Killed off sticky almonds with my husband and had some dried apricots
Salad with chicken and homemade ranch and an apple
Two Bora Bora Fireballs (so good) and raw almonds

I am really glad I decided to stretch my Whole30 to a Whole45 despite hesitation because I wanted to partake in the food and drink of this weekend.  In the end I am glad that I did not have the opportunity to imbibe and eat, because I don't believe I would have been able to moderate myself in the best ways and I know that it would have been a reintroduction that would not have been successful or in anyway helpful.

Day 35.jpg

Day 36.jpg

Day 33.jpg

Day 34.jpg

Day Thirty-Seven:

Being at home is awful for me.  I have much more cravings to snack and decreased will power.  I am trying to get to the bottom of the snacking issue.  And what it comes down to is comfort, enjoyment, and endorphins.  Usually when I am at home I am sitting, so I think my body is craving a pick me up, something to do, something that's interesting and exciting.  While at home I need to find ways to punctuate my sitting with productive and mindful activity - tv and Facebook just does not cut it, and I need to move out of a sedentary lifestyle anyway.

My food for today:
Breakfast salad with lettuce, carrots, peppers, eggs, bora bora fireball, hot sauce; apple and almond butter
Green beans, coleslaw, bora bora fireballs and a banana
Snacked on an orange and some almonds
Chili over lettuce
Later I had an egg and more almonds and some carrots

I am sick of writing in this log about how I sucked at curbing snacking.  I need to get it together!
I also need to hydrate more; that might increase overall energy and decrease the need for a pick me up

Day 37.jpg

Archived