Compliant bacon - FOUND!

whole_kat

@ultrarunnergirl Good reminder about bacon's basic nature as a fat. When I did my Whole30 last year I just avoided bacon because I couldn't find anything compliant but I did enjoy the Wellshire paleo turkey bacon. 50% more protein, more like Canadian bacon, and useful as part of my grab and go breakfasts. I'd roast a whole package in the oven and then just reheat a couple of slices. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I just found Nature's Rancher at my local Whole Foods. They have an Uncured History Smoked Bacon that is sugar free and it tastes great! I read on their website that they were just acquired by Pederson's in 2017.  I guess the brand is an exclusive to Whole Foods. 

• 1 month later...

I think I found compliant bacon at Elwood  Thompson in RVA! But I want to make sure before we use it. Ingredients: Pork, sea salt, spices (black pepper, fenugreek, nutmeg, white pepper, mace, allspice). Brand: Garrett Valley All Natural sugarfree dry rubbed uncured pork bacon.

• Administrators
40 minutes ago, cj76 said:

I think I found compliant bacon at Elwood  Thompson in RVA! But I want to make sure before we use it. Ingredients: Pork, sea salt, spices (black pepper, fenugreek, nutmeg, white pepper, mace, allspice). Brand: Garrett Valley All Natural sugarfree dry rubbed uncured pork bacon.

Yep, it's fine!

• 3 weeks later...

@SugarcubeOD, do you have a reference for sodium erythorbate being a sugar or sweetener?

I see Erythitol on the sugar list under sugar alcohols, but I don't see sodium erythorbate on that list. They are not the same thing.

@Izzydee83 - the Appleton Farms bacon from Aldi you found looks compliant to me.

There is a similar thread about bacon and sodium erythorbate on the forum from 2015. The conclusion in that thread (SugarcubeOD was part of the discussion, as was another moderator) is that containing sodium erythorbate would not make a bacon non-compliant. There are other reasons (like the bacon manifesto) to avoid bacon or minimize the amount you eat, but you can eat the bacon you found at Aldi if you want to.

Eating any bacon, even complaint varieties, is strongly discouraged by the bacon manifesto and by the mods here on the forum. Eat some compliant bacon now and then if you want to, but please don't eat a lot, and don't eat it every day. It's allowed by the rules but not good for you.

• 2 months later...
On 3/25/2018 at 9:36 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

Sodium Erythorbate is a sugar so sorry, no go.  

I googled and it's a synthetic Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) (from Livestrong) and, according to Wiki, "Chemically, it is the sodium salt of erythorbic acid."  How is that a sugar/sweetener?

moreover, in chemistry, sugars tend to end in "ose" or "ol" (fructose, glucose, alcohol, sorbitol).  

• 9 months later...

I am starting for my first Whole30 and been doing a ton of food resource research- i live in Chicago Lincoln square and today have spoken to the butcher they have many grass free organic meats and poultry available i questioned the bacon and he said he never uses sugar and would cut fresh off the slab- this is a reputable shop 

My start date is march 25 monday i wNt to make sure i have my food and meals plan and not feel deprived-

How do i know if it is a compliant bacon ??

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, Kcast said:

How do i know if it is a compliant bacon ??

You find out what the ingredients are, and if they follow the rules for whole30, it is compliant.

For bacon, the most common non-whole30 ingredient would be sweetener of some sort, usually sugar, but could be maple syrup or something else. Just review the rules, ask about the ingredients, and if there's something you're unsure about, try googling whole30 plus that ingredient, and if that doesn't bring up an answer, you can post here and we'll see if we can figure it out.

Rules are here if you need to review them:  https://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/

• 1 month later...

Archived