January Whole30 Food Log

thehappiest

Starting the second day of my first ever Whole30 and I realize that a little bit of accountability will go a long way in making this journey easier!

Background information on me: After starting Crossfit last spring, I went from being exercise-averse and food-negligent to working out 4-5 times a week and following the Zone diet.  After a while I started incorporating some Whole30 principles because I wanted guidelines for food quality, but I have not yet completed a Whole30.  My goals are 1) to reset from the bad habits and sugar cravings that I allowed to take place over the holidays, 2) to continue improving my performance in Crossfit workouts, 3) to identify suspected allergies/sensitivities (corn and dairy).

[I'm a 5'2" female...I would have previously described myself as chubby and uncoordinated, but my body composition is a lot leaner than it used to be!]

---

Day 1:

breakfast (7:30am) - 3 eggs  and 4 cups of spinach scrambled in olive oil

workout at 9am

10:30  - 1 apple

lunch (12pm) - ~4oz chicken thigh and 3 cups kale sautéed in coconut oil (with garlic, yum)

2pm - [bored?  craving sugar?]  apple pie Lara Bar

5pm - baby carrots

dinner (6pm) - ~2oz chicken, 2 eggs, sweet potatoes, green beans, carrots, garlic - stir fried with sesame and olive oil

8pm - celery, almond butter, raisins, 1/2 chicken sausage

Our stories are pretty similar! I started CrossFit last spring too. I've tried all the diets and always feel like crap. This is my second Whole30. I just tried RP and it was terrible for my body. This is my first Whole30 since starting Crossfit. I'm 5'11" and am still pretty chubby...one of the many things I hope will improve. 

6 hours ago, Gogogomez said:

Our stories are pretty similar! I started CrossFit last spring too. I've tried all the diets and always feel like crap. This is my second Whole30. I just tried RP and it was terrible for my body. This is my first Whole30 since starting Crossfit. I'm 5'11" and am still pretty chubby...one of the many things I hope will improve. 

That's awesome!  Crossfit has totally changed my life for the better. :)

What is the RP diet?

Day 2:

breakfast (8am) - 3 eggs and 4 cups of spinach scrambled in olive oil

lunch (12pm) - ~4oz chicken thigh and 3 cups kale sautéed in coconut oil

3pm -  apple pie Lara Bar and almond butter

4pm - workout (I don't usually have a snack before workouts, and I didn't feel a positive effect at all...)

dinner (6pm) - ~2oz chicken, 2 eggs, sweet potatoes, green beans, carrots, garlic - stir fried with sesame and olive oil (feeling a bit bloated, maybe skip the green beans?)

Feeling: hungry mid-afternoon (probably due to boredom; my last week of break); a little bloated after dinner; otherwise, I feel fine and have no cravings!

• Moderators

Ideally, your meals will last you 4-5 hours before you get hungry again -- I'm thinking your breakfast might benefit from a little more fat, and possibly some more vegetables, depending on whether that spinach is measured before or after cooking -- if you measure out four cups of raw spinach, especially if it's loosely packed, that's going to cook down to not a whole lot, maybe a cup, and you want to aim for filling your plate with vegetables. (Here's the meal template -- it's not a requirement that you follow it, but most people do find they get the best results if they do.)  If you are hungry between meals, you'll have better results having a mini-meal of smaller portions of protein, fat, and vegetables, rather than just fruit on its own or a larabar.

The meal template shows what pre- and post-workout meals should look like as well. Working out in the middle of the day, you may not need a pre-workout, but if you do, you'll want protein and fat, no carbs. After crossfit, you definitely should have a post-workout meal, though. At the very least, very soon after your workout, have a few bites of lean protein, like chicken or tuna. You can also include some starchy vegetable like sweet potato. Here's an article that talks about what to have and why. Pre- and post-workout are both in addition to your normal meals, because if you're working out hard, you need more fuel for that.

About the bloating -- it's certainly possible it's the green beans, especially if you know you've reacted similarly to them in the past, but one thing that causes bloating and other digestive issues for many people is nuts and nut butters. A serving size for any nuts & seeds is a small closed handful, and ideally you wouldn't have them every day. Between your larabars and your almond butter, you've had a couple of servings a day.

Generally, we don't moderate people's logs, and I don't want you or anyone to feel like we're some kind of Whole30 police, so I probably won't comment more, but I do think you'll get better results with those changes.

7 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

Generally, we don't moderate people's logs, and I don't want you or anyone to feel like we're some kind of Whole30 police, so I probably won't comment more, but I do think you'll get better results with those changes.

Thank you so much!

Having a post-workout meal is a weird concept for me, because my workout is over right at dinner time...so I usually just make dinner as soon as I get home, and a smaller snack later in the evening.  Would it be ideal to have that smaller post-workout meal first, and then have dinner later??  That seems counterintuitive.

That's a really good point about the nuts...I have never had Lara Bars before and I didn't even think about the effect they might be having.  As tasty as they are, I probably will not get them again. :(

Thanks again for your feedback, I really appreciate it!

• Moderators

What most people do is finish their workout, and before they even leave the gym, they have some protein and starchy vegetable. It doesn't have to be a lot, just a few bites of each, and then you wouldn't have to make dinner too much later than usual.

Day 3:

breakfast (7am) - 3 eggs and 4 cups of spinach scrambled in olive oil

lunch (12pm) - ~4oz chicken thigh and 3 cups kale sautéed in coconut oil

2pm -  apple pie Lara Bar and almond butter (last of the Lara Bars...so we'll see if cutting back the nuts tomorrow makes me feel better)

dinner (5pm) - ~2oz chicken, 2 eggs, sweet potatoes, green beans, carrots, garlic - stir fried with sesame and olive oil

Feeling: a tiny bit bloated but good overall.

---

Day 4:

Woke up absolutely ravenous, which is weird for me.  I always, always eat breakfast, but I don't often feel that hungry in the morning.  Next week I think I'll have a better snack in the evening; definitely more protein.

Day 4 (continued):

9am  - yoga class

11am - apple

1pm - (lunch with a friend) spinach salad with cranberries, oranges, walnuts, balsamic vinaigrette, and steak

4:15pm - Crossfit

6pm - ~2oz chicken, 3 eggs, sweet potatoes, green beans, carrots, garlic - stir fried with sesame and olive oil

8pm - celery, almond butter, raisins, and 1 chicken sausage

Felt great today.

Day 5:

11am - 1 egg, 1/2 chicken sausage

1pm - ~4oz chicken thigh and 3 cups kale sautéed in coconut oil

3pm - almond butter and raisins (admittedly, there was no hunger involved in this decision; it was purely borne out of boredom and craving a chocolate chip muffin as big as my head)

5:30pm - ~2oz chicken, 2 eggs, sweet potatoes, green beans, carrots, garlic - stir fried with sesame and olive oil

9pm - celery, almond butter, raisins, and 1 chicken sausage

Feeling good still, but I am so annoyed at how much I want sugar!  I've eaten more or less within Paleo guidelines 90% of the time for the past 5 months, but knowing that I can't "cheat" makes this psychologically so difficult!

Day 6:

9am - Crossfit

11am - 1 apple

3pm - cashew butter and raisins

5:30pm - ~2oz chicken, 2 eggs, sweet potatoes, green beans, carrots, garlic - stir fried with sesame and olive oil

8pm - 1 egg, ~1.5oz turkey

Can't wait for Monday!  Then I will be in a normal routine again and can (hopefully) get out of this random afternoon snack habit I've developed suddenly...

Day 7:

breakfast (9am) - 3 eggs and 4 cups of spinach scrambled in olive oil

11am - 1 apple

3pm - cashew butter and raisins.  So much more than any person should ever consume.  I did this willfully and intentionally, rebelliously enjoying every spoonful of creamy goodness.  I do not regret these actions, but I will not repeat them either!

5:30pm - 4 eggs, sweet potatoes, green beans, carrots, garlic - stir fried with sesame and olive oil

8pm - 1 egg, ~1.5oz turkey, celery, cashew butter, raisins (in normal quantities)

Day 8:

11am - 1 apple

3pm - 2 oz ground turkey, cashew butter

4pm - Crossfit

5:30pm - ~4 oz ground turkey/beef, sweet potatoes, compliant tomato sauce, spinach salad with olive oil and lemon

8pm - 1 egg, ~1.5oz turkey

Day 9: (Finally an almost-normal day after a long but wonderful Christmas break!)

breakfast (5:30am) - 3 eggs and 4 cups of spinach scrambled in olive oil

10am - 1 apple

1pm - ~4oz chicken thigh and 3 cups kale steamed in coconut oil

4pm - Crossfit (deadlift PR woohoo!)

6pm- ~4 oz ground turkey/beef, sweet potatoes, compliant tomato sauce, spinach salad with olive oil and lemon

8pm - 1 egg, ~1.5oz turkey, celery, cashew butter, raisins

Day 10: 

breakfast (6:30am) - 3 eggs and 4 cups of spinach scrambled in olive oil

12pm - ~4oz chicken thigh and 3 cups kale steamed in coconut oil

6pm- ~4 oz ground turkey/beef, sweet potatoes, compliant tomato sauce, spinach salad with olive oil and lemon

8pm - 1 egg, ~1.5oz turkey, celery, cashew butter, raisins

Day 11: 

6am - 3 eggs and 4 cups of spinach scrambled in olive oil

10am - 1 apple

3pm - 1 egg, 1.5oz turkey, cashew butter, raisins

4pm - Crossfit

6pm- ~2 oz ground turkey/beef, 2 eggs, sweet potatoes, compliant tomato sauce, spinach salad with olive oil and lemon

How are you feeling? How are you performing in Crossfit? I am right behind you (day 7) and it seems like we eat fairly similar. I feel a bit bloated and my cardio is not doing so well, but otherwise everything is OK. I think I will abandon nuts and nut butter next week, to see if it makes me feel less bloated. But I am curious to hear how you feel. 

On 1/13/2017 at 0:13 AM, EmmaSthlm said:

How are you feeling? How are you performing in Crossfit? I am right behind you (day 7) and it seems like we eat fairly similar. I feel a bit bloated and my cardio is not doing so well, but otherwise everything is OK. I think I will abandon nuts and nut butter next week, to see if it makes me feel less bloated. But I am curious to hear how you feel. 

Thanks for asking!

I cut back on my nut intake this week and I feel much better.  I'm still having some nut butter because...I love it...but I haven't had any problems as long as I keep myself to one serving per day.  

This week of Crossfit was not very cardio-heavy at my box, but I have been performing as well or better than usual.  I will try to update next week if we have some more metcon workouts.

Yesterday and today I felt very tired, but I think that is due to work-related stress and lack of sleep, not my diet.  I would say that overall I feel very good!

Day 12: 

10am - 1 apple

5:30pm - Crossfit

6pm- ~2 oz ground turkey/beef, 2 eggs, sweet potatoes, compliant tomato sauce, spinach salad with olive oil and lemon

8pm - ~1.5oz ground turkey, 1 egg, almond butter, celery, raisins

Day 13: 

9am - Crossfit

12pm - ~2oz beef/pork, 2 eggs, potatoes baked in olive oil, compliant mustard

6pm-  ~4oz chicken thigh, sweet potatoes, and 3 cups kale sautéed in coconut oil

8pm - ~1.5oz ground turkey, 1 egg, almond butter, celery, raisins

Day 14: 

10am - 1 apple

1pm - ~4oz chicken thigh, sweet potatoes, and 3 cups kale sautéed in coconut oil

3pm - 1 apple, almond butter, raisins, 3oz ground turkey

6pm-  ~4oz beef/pork, sweet potatoes, olive oil, compliant mustard, brussels sprouts

---

Reflections:

I realized today that I feel much less "in control" on the Whole30 than I do typically, following the Zone/Paleo diets 6 days a week.  I'm not sure if this is from coming off of the holidays, battling the reality than I can't have a brownie even if I really want one, or a combination of factors, but it's a weird feeling.  Normally I know exactly what I am going to eat and when and why and how much...the past 15 days haven't felt that way.  I feel like I am constantly switching up my planned meals and changing things around.

Day 15: 

7am - 3 eggs and 4 cups of spinach scrambled in olive oil

9am - Crossfit

11am - 1 apple, almond butter, raisins, ~3oz ground turkey

1pm - ~4oz chicken thigh, sweet potatoes, and 3 cups kale sautéed in coconut oil

6pm-  ~4oz beef/pork, sweet potatoes, olive oil, compliant mustard, brussels sprouts

8pm - 2oz tuna, celery, almond butter, raisins

Day 16: 

10am - 1 apple

1pm - ~4oz chicken thigh, sweet potatoes, and 3 cups kale steamed in coconut oil

4pm - Crossfit

Day 17: 

10am - 1 apple

12pm - ~4oz chicken thigh and 3 cups kale steamed in coconut oil

Day 18: 

12pm - ~4oz chicken thigh and 3 cups kale steamed in coconut oil, 1 apple

4pm - Crossfit

8pm - 2oz tuna, raisins

Day 19: 

12pm - ~4oz chicken thigh and 3 cups kale steamed in coconut oil, 1 apple

5:30pm - Crossfit

8pm - 2 eggs, 1/4 cup pineapple

Day 20: 

7am - 3 eggs and 4 cups of spinach scrambled in olive oil, handful of grapes

12pm - ~4oz chicken thigh, sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts, olive oil

2pm - 2oz chicken

3pm - Crossfit at home

6pm-  ~5oz turkey, sweet potatoes, olive oil, spinach, broccoli slaw with homemade mayonnaise and pineapple juice, 1/4 cup blackberries

Day 21: 

10am - 1apple

12pm - ~2oz chicken thigh, 2 eggs, sweet potatoes, kale, olive oil

6pm-  ~3oz turkey, 2 eggs, sweet potatoes, olive oil, broccoli slaw with homemade mayonnaise and pineapple juice

8pm - 2oz beef, 1/2 tsp homemade mayo, 1/4 cup pineapple

I feel like I'm getting close to the end now and I am so glad I've stuck with it thus far!  I've learned a lot about myself already.  Notes to self:

- When I'm having an emotional crisis/breakdown/tantrum, I immediately want to stick my face in a pan of brownies or jar of peanut butter.  Even though I don't like telling myself I *can't* have these things, being forced to say no has made me realize that my emotions are definitely connected to my cravings.

- Nuts and nut butters are absolutely phenomenal but they need to have only a very small place in my diet because I have no self-control when I'm around them!

- I miss being on the Zone diet and will gladly weigh and measure my food again at the end of this 30 day adventure.  I know that a lot of people feel uncomfortable or restricted by weighing and measuring, but I feel the opposite.  I feel so much more at ease when I know exactly how much I need to consume.

- I hate hate hate telling myself I can't eat anything.  I think that this experience will make me appreciate my power to allow or disallow myself to eat various things post-Whole30, and hopefully I will use that freedom wisely.

- Oreos, Cheez-its, mac and cheese, brownies, pizza, and lots of other wonderful things are tempting.  No doubt about it.  But when it comes right down to it, I don't want or like them as much as my brain initially wants to believe.

Things I'm still trying to discover:

- Will dairy be a part of my diet post-Whole30?

- Will I indulge less often than I used to?  (My habit has been a once-a-week "cheat" meal on a day that won't mess up my immediate Crossfit performance...can I make this less frequent?  Do I want to?)

Day 22: 

10am - 1apple

12pm - ~4oz chicken thigh, kale, homemade mayonnaise, compliant mustard

6pm-  ~3oz turkey, 2 eggs, sweet potatoes, olive oil, brussels sprouts, homemade mayo, compliant hot sauce

8pm - 1oz beef, 1 egg, 1/2 tsp homemade mayo, 1/4 cup pineapple

Mood: 100% over this and ready to be on day 31.  -insert grumpy face here-

Archived