More protein=big baby?

Hello! I'm 24 weeks pregnant and have just started a Bradley Method birthing class. One of the first things we talked about was nutrition (so far, just a very brief overview.) The handbook we are provided says I should eat 60-80g protein a day, the teacher says she recommends even less unless it's plant based. The reason she gives is that a high protein diet can lead to bigger babies and potentially a higher risk of having to have medical interventions during birth (i.e. non-natural.) This amount of protein is WAY low compared to my normal. I am not doing a Whole 30 while I'm pregnant (at least not right now) but I do continue to follow most of the rules and am continuing my regular activities (crossfit, walking/running, yoga, biking--all with modifications) and want to continue to fuel my body with the diet choices that have given me the most benefits. 

Can anyone point me to any research about this? Any experiences out there? 

Protein forms the structural basis for all new cells & tissue in the mother, and in the development of the baby. In the UK the recommendation is for at least x2 servings of protein per day with fish & eggs being superior. I've never heard of an upper limit and it's pretty hard to over-do because it's so filling. Most women tend to eat their additional calorofic requirements in refined carsb - which would be much more detrimental to mother & baby IMHO.

If you're active you need it.

Personally I'd be more concerned at sugar intake, and imagine that much of the nutritional advice is aimed at those eating a SAD style diet.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a great website called Evidence Based Birth and there is an article on "Big Babies." It might have some more information on the potential causes. I can't remember if it mentioned protein (its a bit sciency :) ) but it has a nice summary! 

Archived