Problems getting enough FAT

Urnesha

I'm on my second day and I'm having problems getting enough fat in each meal. I live in the Caribbean and sadly avocados are only available for a few months each year. If I'm having a salad I use olive oil and balsamic/red wine vinegar but if I'm having veggies and grilled chicken for example, I have the hardest time figuring out how to add fat to my meal. Yesterday and today I had almonds to help with that but I'm reading that I shouldn't have nuts too often. I really dislike olives so I fear that won't be an option for me (it still blows my mind that they are a fat option :) ). Any advice?? 

7 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Home made mayo - it's quick, easy, and goes with EVERYTHING!!

Here's a link to the easiest method out there.....

Enjoy!

Hadn't thought of mayo. Don't usually use it much before Whole 30. I can make some and start using it a little more. That recipe calls for an immersion blender which I don't have but I found another recipe that uses a regular blender. :) 

• Moderators

Use a liberal amount of cooking oil, and scrape it out of the pan on top of your meal when you plate it.

Add coconut butter or ghee atop your meat or veggies.

I know you said you don't like them, but try to find different types. Castelvetrano olives are particularly nice and quite mild if you can find them.

2 minutes ago, ultrarunnergirl said:

Use a liberal amount of cooking oil, and scrape it out of the pan on top of your meal when you plate it.

I know you said you don't like them, but try to find different types. Castelvetrano olives are particularly nice and quite mild if you can find them.

Good idea to try different types. I don't even know what are available in my country as I usually pass that section of the supermarket straight. lol 
Ghee is readily available here so I'll pick up some and start adding it to stuff. :) Thanks! 

4 hours ago, ultrarunnergirl said:

Went to the supermarket and they didn't have the olives you spoke about. They just had Manzanilla and Spanish green olives (which are very similar from what Google tells me) and black olives. I decided to bite the bullet and buy the green ones. Gah! They are so bitter and salty!  But I figured a few wouldn't kill me. :)

WhatsApp Image 2017-01-03 at 7.35.14 PM.jpeg

• Moderators

Olives are an acquired taste, but the good news is that you can definitely acquire it!  Try one every day.... as your tastebuds change they grow on you... I used to only be able to eat them if they were in a mouthful of other food... doesn't matter as it all goes to the same place so try sneaking it in a forkful of something else tasty.  The thing about olives as your fat source is tho... you need quite a few of them and the six small ones I see there aren't enough so on that meal while you're getting used to olives, make sure you add other fat... Olives as fat are heaping open handfuls... :) 

4 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Olives are an acquired taste, but the good news is that you can definitely acquire it!  Try one every day.... as your tastebuds change they grow on you... I used to only be able to eat them if they were in a mouthful of other food... doesn't matter as it all goes to the same place so try sneaking it in a forkful of something else tasty.  The thing about olives as your fat source is tho... you need quite a few of them and the six small ones I see there aren't enough so on that meal while you're getting used to olives, make sure you add other fat... Olives as fat are heaping open handfuls... :) 

Thanks for the encouragement! I've made myself like other things before so I'm hopeful. Don't know if I'll ever reach the heaping handfuls stage though! I couldn't even eat those 6! I ate 2. Lol They are just so bitter. But I did have olive oil and red wine vinegar as my dressing so I got my fat quota. :)

9 minutes ago, Urnesha said:

Thanks for the encouragement! I've made myself like other things before so I'm hopeful. Don't know if I'll ever reach the heaping handfuls stage though! I couldn't even eat those 6! I ate 2. Lol They are just so bitter. But I did have olive oil and red wine vinegar as my dressing so I got my fat quota. :)

I'm an olive fiend and am always trying different kinds.  Some definitely have more of a "twang" ;) than others, so keep hope alive!

I could eat kalamata olives all day long, but I'd rather chew off my own finger than eat a green one! Bleurg! I had some insanely delicious semi-dried black olives one time, which I've never been able to find again, but they were definitely on the sweet side which might be more to your liking if you can find them.

3 hours ago, GoJo09 said:

I could eat kalamata olives all day long, but I'd rather chew off my own finger than eat a green one! Bleurg! I had some insanely delicious semi-dried black olives one time, which I've never been able to find again, but they were definitely on the sweet side which might be more to your liking if you can find them.

Hmmm are black olives less bitter than green olives? Cause that would be fantastic. lol Olives are not as big in my country as other places so my supermarket only carries 2 kinds - manzanilla green olives and canned black olives. If black olives are not as bitter I will definitely buy a can of them and try them out! :) 

I can tell you that I absolutely hate green olives too, they make me sick to my stomach but I love kalamata olives and any other black olive, but still I couldn't eat them on their own, they usually have to go with something for me.

• Administrators

Yep, olives are a personal preference thing. I LOVE kalamata (so rich and buttery!) and I also love the Tassos ones that we get at Costco here. They are jumbo green usually stuffed with jalapeno or garlic (or both). I cannot stand canned black olives though...........you know, the ones you buy to put on pizza. Gag. 

It may also help to reframe your language around the olives and call them "briney" instead of bitter? Unless they actually are tasting bitter to you. ;)

3 hours ago, ladyshanny said:

Yep, olives are a personal preference thing. I LOVE kalamata (so rich and buttery!) and I also love the Tassos ones that we get at Costco here. They are jumbo green usually stuffed with jalapeno or garlic (or both). I cannot stand canned black olives though...........you know, the ones you buy to put on pizza. Gag. 

It may also help to reframe your language around the olives and call them "briney" instead of bitter? Unless they actually are tasting bitter to you. ;)

I wish we had more options here in Trinidad. Sadly we don't. Yeah, the green olives we have here actually taste very bitter to me. I get the briney taste also but along with that it's just damn bitter. But I'm also on the extreme end of the bitter sensitive spectrum so a lot of things that people eat/drink I don't cause it's too bitter for me. Beer for one. 

• Moderators

Before I liked olives, I used to buy the canned black sliced olives, rinse them in a strainer two or three times and then mix them into things like chili... I promise, once rinsed, you can't taste them at all, but they still count as a fat... it actually ended up being a very easy way to get a fat with some meals that I didn't want to change the flavor of but wanted a simple/cheap fat addition... 

9 hours ago, ladyshanny said:

and I also love the Tassos ones that we get at Costco here. They are jumbo green usually stuffed with jalapeno or garlic (or both).

Ohhh man, @Brewer5 turned me on to those and they are INSANE! I'd buy a jar a week if I didn't resist.

Archived