Neuropathy pain worsening?

Hi all,

I'm new to Whole30 and only in day 2. While I expected the headaches and exhaustion, one of the things I started experiencing at the end of day 1 is an increase in nerve pain. I have peripheral neuropathy (not diabetic) and take the maximum dose of neurotin/gabapentin and B12 injections to control it. This is the first time since starting the meds 3 years ago that I've had this sort of pain, so the only thing I can think is that it's somehow related to the program. The only new food I introduced yesterday was coconut oil and I eat coconut & coconut milk pretty regularly.

Any thoughts on why this is happening or how to deal with this? Have other people seen an increase in nerve pain while they detox? Should I eliminate coconut oil too?

• Administrators

Sorry that you're feeling unwell. General malaise can be attributed to massive overhaul of the diet when the previous intake relied heavily on sugars and starches (bread, baked goods, pasta, heavily sugared coffee, oats etc). I would think that this added to an existing condition could make the existing condition feel worse but unfortunately no one here is medically qualified to make any sort of medical statement for you.

What was your intake like before Whole30? Whole30 will, if all the recommendations are followed, help reset your hormones and re balance your body but I would not expect any of this to occur in the first day and a half.

Hi - not a doctor or nutritionist.  In my lay-person's understanding, gabapentin is a neurotransmitter or impacts neurotransmitters.  Neurotransmitters are impacted by diet - such as serotonin increasing after consumption of simple carbohydrates.  I think a consult with a nutritionist might be in order to make sure you are getting enough of the precursor foods and the correct balance of carbohydrate/protein/fat.  It does say to consult with your MD if you have a medical condition, so you could ask for a referral to a nutritionist.  I think this would be covered by your health insurance, with a referral.  Good luck!

I'm a paraplegic and have chronic nerve pain as well. I've been sleeping terrible and my pain has increased in the first 3-days of the program. It may be because of another issue which is not appropriate for this discussing on this forum, so I'm waiting a couple of days and will consult my doctor if it doesn't get better. If you find out anything else, please post it! I REALLY don't want to stop the program.

Archived