Repurposing Butternut Squash soup

Tracy R.

I made butternut squash soup today for the first time and I'm the only one that really likes it. I'm not going to be able to eat that whole pot myself. I was thinking I could thicken it up a bit with some sweet potato and use it in the ISWF salmon cakes. What do ya'll think? Any other suggestions for getting it used up. I don't have room in my freezer for it right now.

I like the curry idea. I can freeze some of it but I don't have room to freeze all of it. I'd like to use up at least half in other recipes my family will eat. They eat every last crumb of the ISWF salmon cakes and they like curry. I think I could make the soup work in both.

I didn't see the part about no room in the freezer. You can slip a bit of it (1/2 -1 cup) into so many things - it will add a smooth silkiness and a little sweetness to any stew or soup. You could blend it with tomatoes (fresh or canned) to make sauce for zucchini noodles. And as far as freezing, I don't know if you are a freezer ninja, but I work to max out my freezer space to the last milimeter. If you put it in ziplock bags and then lay the bags on a cookie sheet or thin piece of cardboard you can slide that on top of other things. Then when frozen solid, you have a flat thin block you can slide in a small space.

Good luck finding ways to use and save your soup. I LOOOOOVE butternut squash soup so much!

I know you can't freeze all of it, but I just wanted to add what I always do with my butternut squash soup. We eat it as is the first day, then I add a big portion of crockpot pulled pork to it and freeze it in 1 cup portions. Butternut squash soup + pulled pork = one of my favorite things to pack for lunch.

Archived