Trouble with sleep with starting Whole30

RandiW

Hi everyone! The last few days have been a rollercoaster - never realized how dependent I was on bread and butter! But the most challenging this for me is that I've suddenly been having trouble sleeping every night. I likely drank too much caffeine on day 1, so I was surprised to be tossing and turning, but the last two nights I woke up every couple of hours and have been having nightmares. It could just be part of the process for me, but I wanted to hear if this is a common experience or you might have some ideas about things I can adjust that might be impacting my sleep.  TIA

I, too, have had trouble falling asleep, and once there have also had some crazy, detailed dreams. I think this is more about our routine (I'm doing Whole30 with my husband). Most nights, we will usually have a few glasses of wine and then stay up watching TV or a movie, then move from the sofa to our bed in a sleepy daze. Since starting Whole30 three days ago, we have (obviously) had no alcohol and have been going to bed earlier and reading. Fewer stimuli to make us sleepy I suspect is what's going on. I never realized how much we were drinking and thought nothing of it! I have been tired in the mornings, but I'm thinking the more my body comes out of shock, the more energy I will have. Hope your sleep gets better soon :-)

Me too!! I'm usually a great sleeper 10pm-6am every night but since beginning W30 (only on day 3) I can't fall asleep before 2am. 

I stopped caffeine earlier today so hopefully that helps. I think I might eat some guac or hard boiled egg before going to bed too. 

Good luck to you both!!

Yep, the body can take some time to adjust to the change in diet - try to stick to the same routine each night, and practice good sleep hygiene like dimming the lights after sunset, no screen time for an hour or more before bed, no caffeine in the afternoon, no blue light in the bedroom etc. You could also add in a magnesium supplement if you're not already doing so. Magnesium acts kind of like a muscle relaxant and kcan help with sleep as well as helping things 'move along' in the bathroom department (another thing some folks have issue with).

Ultimately it should all settle down for you in a few days, and you'll be pleased to know that in the long term people generally report improved sleep as one of their NSVs.

I had the same problem during my first Whole 30, but it doesn't seem to be a problem for me this time (knock wood.). I learned during my first Whole 30 that I couldn't have ANY coffee after noon or it would effect me at night. In my mind it's a little like alcohol- if you don't have a lot of carbs in your stomach to absorb some of it, it just hits you hard. (I have absolutely no science to back that up, it's just an anecdote that helps me be aware of the effect of caffeine.) 

Since I am bing careful this time around I'm noticing deeper, easier sleep as one of my first noticeable NSVs.  

Archived