Start January 7th

Nicole72

My son and I are going to start on Saturday January 7th, that gives me 3 days to clear out all the crap in my house that I don't need.  My daughter got me the Whole30 book for Christmas.  She knows how hard it has been for me to lose weight.  I am excited and nervous.  

I also started today, Saturday Jan 7th. I also got the books for Christmas. My sister has been trying to get me to do this for a while. My husband and I are both doing it and my sister and her husband are joining us. Today has been rough though, not going to lie. I guess I was more addicted to sugar and caffeine then I wanted to admit but having horrible headache the last couple of days even though I had weaned myself off soda all week. How are things going for you? I am also not real fond of veggies so I feel like this is such a struggle. 

So, surprise I made up a lot of good "reasons" to not start today and start tomorrow.  I am terrified.  I have tried to lose weight and eat healthy for the past 5 years or so and I lose 10 pounds and then stop losing.  It is very discouraging.  I have all the food I need to start tomorrow and I will start tomorrow because that is the only food in the house (now I know why we can't miss that stage).  I can't seem to stick with weight loss and eating right.  Anyway, I am glad that you (StaciaLee) have support with your husband and sister and brother-in-law.  How is your husband doing today?  I am really over whelmed with planning meals for an entire week, so i did 3 days, trying to set myself up for success.  Okay, hopefully your night goes good.  Thanks for checking in.

• Moderators

Hi, @Nicole72 -- it's pretty normal to be nervous about making any big change in life.

I personally find that the black and white rules that so many people see as "restrictive" actually make following a whole30 easier. There's no bargaining with yourself (I'll just have a little sugar in my coffee, and then exercise a little more later to make up for it), there's no question about how much of something unhealthy qualifies as a "moderate" amount, you just don't have any. In that sense, this can be easier to stick to than some other diets, at least for the 30 days. Afterwards, when you don't have to follow the rules anymore, it gets a little tougher, but you don't have to worry about that yet.

I would strongly encourage you to stop focusing on weight loss. Even if you have a lot to lose, just stop thinking about it for 30 days. You won't weigh yourself during this time, and at the end you'll have either lost or you won't have, but what you should focus on is how you feel, do you sleep better, have more energy -- here's a whole list of things to watch for during your 30 days. If you get to day 31 and realize that any of these things have improved, that is a sure sign that you're getting healthier, regardless of what the scale says.

For meal planning, it can be overwhelming, but you don't have to cook new recipes every day, or try out fancy ingredients. I try to keep frozen burger patties on hand -- they're easy to cook even from frozen, pair them with some vegetables and some kind of healthy fat and you have a meal. Cans of tuna or salmon, hard boiled eggs, bags of frozen vegetables, some canned vegetables (just read the labels), olives, coconut flakes, individual packs of guacamole -- all keep well for a relatively long time, and can be paired up to make quick meals when needed. Something like a weekly cookup can be helpful -- once or twice a week, chop a bunch of vegetables, cook a bunch of protein, and then for your meals, it's largely a matter of reheating things. This post has a lot of ideas for things that require very little cooking.

Nicole, that is funny because I was going to start on Friday but instead ate everything in site so started Saturday instead. The dinner ideas seem easy my problem is thinking of breakfast ideas. Eggs give me a horrible stomach ache and I am not real sure how eating dinner leftovers for breakfast will go over with me. I too have difficulty sticking with a plan. As soon as I start to see some weight loss then I feel like I can start eating whatever again. We can hold each other accountable if you want. It will be good to have someone else to help me along the way. We can do this!!! Our health depends on it. My husband is doing good, he just wants to have a soda big time but he loves all the veggies he is eating. Me not so much! 

Shannon, thank you for the feedback and links.  The one thing I like is that I don't have to weigh myself and I am looking forward to not having a sore lower back, not being able to just get up and walk normal (no pain in my legs).  I am looking forward to really seeing how this plan with help my overall health.

Stacia (hope thats right), thank you so much and yes we will help each other, and I too ate more crap than normal, its weird, I don't normally eat as much as I have these last couple of days, its like I am trying to burn in to my taste buds what they will be missing.  I know they won't be in my head that is what I am thinking.  While reading the book I was excited, but then planning the meals was over whelming, and then just actually starting.  So tomorrow when I post it will be that I had tea instead of coffee (because I like flavored cream) and a Whole30 approved breakfast.  I am looking forward to the food, most of it sounds good, you know if I could eat eggs (and not taste the egg), :) Anyhow, wishing you a good night, hopefully you wake without a headache.  Be in touch in the morning and thank you so very much for offering to help me.

So, here I am already setting myself up for failure. I did all this talk yesterday about starting today and I didn't take any meat out of the freezer for breakfast, so here I am waiting for the meat to thaw so I can eat breakfast.  I am looking forward to it, but really.  Why do I do this????  Hopefully I will be able to eat in the next hour or so.  I also forgot to take the whole chicken out to defrost, so it is sitting in a pot of water and I really hope that by the time I need to make dinner it will be ready, so I guess all of my meals are going to be delayed.  Oh well, I am not going to put off starting my plan, just the time that I eat today.  

Well that just tells you that you need to prepare better for tomorrow. I am actually feeling better today  so that is helping me stay on track. My husband, even though he loves veggies is having a hard time. He wanted to go to breakfast after church and wants to eat the chips we have for the kids. It does take some planning and prep work but I think we will start to get the hang of it. I told my other sister about it today and she thinks she has the book but not sure if she will start anytime soon. I ate leftovers for breakfast which was a little weird to me but it worked out ok. We got this!!! Keep it up!!!

So, I finally got to eat and oh my was it so very good.  I made Cherry Tarragon Breakfast Sausage and sweet potato and blueberry hash.  The sausage was the best I have had, I did not use fresh parsley, but still oh so good.  The potato dish was not hot (temperature wise) but still good.  It does take a bit of time to prepare but so worth it and I made enough for leftovers for a couple of days.  So, I am feeling better.  I also had coffee with coconut milk and it wasn't too bad.  So for the moment things are ok.  I have meat out for dinner and lunch, so hopefully that works out.  Good luck to you and your husband today.  

I looked under Whole30 meal plans, you have to pay for that service and personalized it and got recipes for the week, actually for the whole 30 days.  Its not bad, kind of what I needed to get started.  Funny thing is that now that I have had breakfast, I am hungry (I'm sure I'm not) but it is usually at this point that I would have a bowl of cereal or toast or something.  Thankfully i don't have that stuff in my house, so I am drinking water and hopeful.  Also, I can eat lunch in a few hours (not entirely sure what that will be just yet).

My husband and I started on Friday with our very first round. I just want to encourage you :) I've been very overweight for several years, so that was the catalyst for wanting to start, but as we read through It Starts With Food it clicked for both of us for different reasons. Nicole72 - I've have chronic lower back and hip pain for the last couple of years, especially while I sleep. Wake up in the night aching and no amount of meds seem to help. I started easing into Whole30 about mid week and had my last go at gluten on Wednesday. Saturday morning I woke up and realized it was the first pain free night I'd had in a long time. In just a few days of eliminating that one thing I saw a difference, so there's definitely something there and I'm more excited than ever to see how I feel a few weeks from now. Like I said, weight loss was at the core of why I wanted to do this, but I know that there are already so many other benefits. And, food prep is definitely a huge help. On Thursday before we started I cleaned out my fridge, not just the food, but literally cleaned it and it was so refreshing to open a clean fridge! I knew there was no junk in there or stuff that I felt like we 'had to eat'. I took time and prepped containers of veggies that we can use for just eating, salads, and putting in meals and as I was slicing and chopping I realized that it had been a missing piece for me. I was all of the sudden excited about all the good food that was in our fridge. And meals don't need to be complicated. Sear a steak/hamburger/chicken breast, make salad and cook a sweet potato or potato for an easy, fast meal. From there you can start experimenting. Honestly, our family enjoys the mix up withs sauces and marinades more than big complicated meals. Make it a goal to try one new meal a week and you might be surprised how much more you get inspired when you find you're eating good, wholesome food.

Also, when it comes to food prep - buy some bone in chicken, several pounds, and simmer it in salted water to cook the meat. Once it's cooked through pour it through a colander and put the broth back in the pot. When the chicken cools, pull off the meat and put it in a container in the fridge. put the bones back in the broth and simmer for another hour or so. Remove the bones and then let the broth cool, then put it in ziplock bags in the fridge. You now have chicken for omelettes, salads, stir fry etc all prepped so you can grab it quickly at meal times, and you have homemade broth in the freezer to grab when you're cooking. You can even freeze it in ice cubes if you want to throw into the pan for extra flavor. I also cooked up a bunch of taco meat to keep in the fridge (Pinterest homemade seasoning mix) and it's great to throw on a salad or in scrambled eggs.

So, end of day 1.  Not too good being as I woke up late, didn't thaw any of the meat I needed, and ended up eating lunch at 1pm.  But I did not go off the plan, I did not eat toast, or go and get a burger at a drive thru.  I did not add sweet creamer to my coffee and I drank water all day.  So, it wasn't great but it wasn't a failure.  So I am looking forward to tomorrow and being able to get all my meals done, especially since all the meat is thawing in the fridge now.  Thank you for the support.

At least you stuck with it all day, that is a great accomplishment. Having pork tenderloin and roasted red potatoes for dinner. Found that blueberry, sweet potato recipe  on pinterest so going to try it for tomorrow morning. I just wish is was day 22 instead of only day 2, lol!!! Tomorrow will be better now that you are more prepared and hopefully we start to notice a difference in how we feel and that will make it all worth it. 

How did today go for you? I did good, tried the sweet potato hash this morning and have enough for tomorrow.  Had leftover pork and red potatoes for lunch and will have grilled chicken, cauliflower rice and a salad for dinner. My husband doesn't feel like he is getting enough calories so he might be giving up. Today, i had no heartache so that was nice and actually felt good today. I also don't really get hungry so I guess that helps control my cravings. Hope today went well for you. 

Today went good.  I am not a huge dessert person, but the last couple of days I have been wanting it.  Oh well, I will be ok.  Sorry about your husband, has he tried larger servings?  I made rosemary roasted chicken tonight, took forever, but was so worth it.  I am going to attempt to use the bones to make my own broth.  I'll let you know how that turns out.  I am not getting much exercise, I usually walk my dog, but there is quit a bit of ice here and not snow is covering the ice, so it isn't too safe.  I will figure something out.  Thanks for checking in.

I actually went to pizza tonight for my sisters birthday dinner and I had salad and water. That is such a huge accomplishment for me. I really wanted to eat pizza but kept up with my plan. My husband has given up, he said he wasn't eating enough and didn't feel good. He will get the same food as me just not going to follow it completely so I no longer have that support so that sucks. Hope things are still going well for you, don't give in to the desserts. Not worth it. 

Day was ok, really wanted to heavy soups, we had a snow day, so stuck in the house.  Glad to hear about pizza, I'm sure it was a challenge.  Sorry about your husband.  Keep up the good work and you are right it is not worth it do cave.  Thanks

So, my son decided that he is not going to do this.  It is a bit of a challenge with him still being at school, but he will eat what I make for dinner.  Today I grilled up some Italian sausage, hamburger, cut up some zucchini, onion, garlic, and seasonings and put it in the crock pot for dinner.  Not entirely sure what I am going to have for breakfast, not the biggest egg fan.  I am feeling ok today.  I noticed that the bloating is going down, so that is really nice.  Hope the day goes good for everyone.

Sorry to hear that. We have two kids and decided not to make them do it because they eat lunch at school, so we have no control over what they're fed, and often eat at their friends house. They eat breakfast and dinner with us so they've been eating the same things as us for the most part, but we've also been free with snacks. I just haven't gotten much of the stuff that they would normally have on hand to snack on, and instead have had more fruit, cut veggies and hardboiled eggs for them to snack on. I've had friends do Whole30 and they said for breakfast they would often have applesauce that was compliant warmed with cinnamon sprinkled on top. You could also have some of your leftovers from what you made in the crock pot with a side of hashbrowns of some kind. With the sausage and ground beef you've got your protein and the veggies are in there too. It would be like an Italian veggie hash. 

Had to work extra long today and really wanted to stop and pick up something for dinner but my daughter helped me out by making spaghetti squash for us for dinner when I finally got home My co-workers are also being really supportive. I told them how hard this is and they said that I was doing so great and not to give up so that helps. Hope everyone is having a good day and that we all keep going. We will see the rewards, we just need to work for them. Good night all.

How are you both doing today? The last couple of days have been hard for me. Just feeling cranky and have had cravings. Like I want to rub my face in bread :) But, I haven't given in! In fact, yesterday was the day we celebrated staff birthdays, and it's my job to make the cake (we live in Haiti so there's no bakery where I could go buy it) and I made cupcakes, iced them and didn't even lick a finger. That was a major accomplishment for me. It's our daughters birthday next week, and I don't want to go through the same torture or have cake in the house to tempt my husband and I, so I made extra cupcakes and icing, and put them in the freezer (out of sight and frozen, out of mind) and next week I'll pull them out while she's at school, frost them and her and her neighborhood friends can eat them so she still gets her cake but we don't have to worry about having it lying around the house afterwards. I've been having dull headaches, which was expected, but I also think I'm not drinking enough water. Need to work on that this weekend! Have a great day :)

So far, so good for me. No headaches and no real cravings at all either. Both of those make me happy. Feel tired and not much energy which makes life harder being a preschool teacher of two year olds. Going grocery shopping today so trying to figure out some menu plans since I had only bought for one week before. My sister and her husband are starting on Monday, they have been asking me about the plan and I guess noticed a difference in me that made them want to try it out. Are there any menu options that you have really loved that you want to share? Thanks for the support, it has really helped keep me on track and not want to give up. Have a great day!!

Archived