Compliant Packaged Hash Browns?

Anyone aware of a compliant pre-packaged frozen shredded hash brown? I have a great omelette recipe that I used pre-Whole 30 with hash browns and smoked salmon, but everything I find has dextrose in it (Ore-Ida, Giant Eagle, etc.). I would super prefer not to break out the knuckle-grater! :)

• Moderators

If you end up making your own, you might be able to dice the potatoes small instead of grating them. You might need to adjust the cooking time a little. Or borrow a food processor from someone?

I haven't ever found pre shredded potatoes that are compliant.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

@DurhamDoesPaleo Have you considered a spiralizer? I love nothing more than spiralized potatoes in the morning with over-easy eggs on top! I use half sweet potato and half regular potato, cook it in ghee, and season with Spice Cave Land Seasoning and fresh ground pepper. It's so so so good! 

They only cost about $30 on Amazon (I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007Y9WHQ/ref=twister_B077JHR1HD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1). And they are SUPER easy to use and clean up! I seriously had one sitting in my kitchen for over a year, completely unused, because I thought it would be complicated, messy, and hard. It's not! I can seriously do it in about two minutes, including cleaning it! 

Also, regarding the Alexia Hashbrowns... They are amazing and I eat them all the time when not doing Whole30 but it sounds like autolyzed yeast is a bit of a gray area for Whole30...

Here's a thread about that particular ingredient, including a response from Melissa Hartwig herself: https://forum.whole30.com/topic/2989-yeast-extract/

Good luck to you all! 

• 11 months later...

Hey @kirbzdo you just saute the potatoes in fat until they're done? How long does it take? I have a spiralizer that I have used exactly once- not sure why but I have spiralizer-phobia. I know when I made a hash with potatoes in it, I used to precook the potatoes or use leftovers because it seemed like they took forever to cook and the pan started burning before the potatoes were cooked. My husband would be pretty thrilled if I could figure out how to make him some hash. That was always one of our camping foods, too. I'd pre-make it and put it in a vacuum seal bag then just dump it in a skillet to heat up and brown in our campsite. It was filling, delicious and didn't have to worry about ice chest water seeping into the container.

Hi @hollysmokes! When I make the spiralized hashbrowns, I cook them just over medium heat (like between medium and medium-high) with the lid on for about five minutes, and then the rest of the time without to brown them up. The time with the lid on softens them up enough to be just perfect without requiring any sort of pre-cooking for the potatoes! 

Let me know if you have any other questions. I really love these hashbrowns and honestly prefer them over regular! :-) 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi. I just joined this forum and have never been on any forum before.  I am 60 years old and overweight and feeling it much more lately.  Stumbled across whole30 at work when a few co-workers were doing it.  Today is Day 7 and I MAY  not have been as prepared as I should have been.  Made a casserole with farm raised eggs, peppers(red and yellow), chicken sausage, approved bacon, spinach, hash browns and mushrooms.  Ate it all week for breakfast and was never hungry before lunch hour.  Was so proud of myself for being prepared since I'm not normally a breakfast eater.  Today I finally got a chance to read the books that came on Amazon and thought I'd look at the forum.  Guess what??  My frozen hash browns 3rd ingredient is Dextrose.  Imagine my shock when I came across a post asking about approved hash browns!  Ran right to the freezer and looked at mine.  I am so upset.    Used a 1/2 pound in a 9x11 dish that I ate a sixth of each day Mon-Sat for breakfast with approved hot sauce..   NOW WHAT???  Do I start all over at Day 1 tomorrow?  I don't know what to do!  What a disappointment. I never thought about looking at the label on frozen potatoes.

• Moderators

@TheresaAnn unfortunately you have to read labels on everything, it is amazing what ingredients show up in foods that you'd never expect. I had to restart a Whole30 when I found there was soy in my tea. 

The guidance is typically to restart. If that seems really overwhelming right now, what you can do is just keep going, and as you get close to day 30, consider adding more days to the end so that you truly have 30 days completely on plan, so you do a Whole37. 

34 minutes ago, ShannonM816 said:

@TheresaAnn unfortunately you have to read labels on everything, it is amazing what ingredients show up in foods that you'd never expect. I had to restart a Whole30 when I found there was soy in my tea. 

The guidance is typically to restart. If that seems really overwhelming right now, what you can do is just keep going, and as you get close to day 30, consider adding more days to the end so that you truly have 30 days completely on plan, so you do a Whole37. 

Thank you so much!!  Yes I will read every label from now on.  Just found soy in my bumblebee tuna.  Says "Contains:Tuna, Soy."

Also I found Mr. Dell"s All Natural Hash Browns at a local higher end store.  Ingredients: Potatoes. Comes in both shredded and country style.

This is so enlightening!  Cant believe the crap they get away with.  Who Knew.

On 1/3/2018 at 11:25 AM, kirbz said:

Also, regarding the Alexia Hashbrowns... They are amazing and I eat them all the time when not doing Whole30 but it sounds like autolyzed yeast is a bit of a gray area for Whole30...

Here's a thread about that particular ingredient, including a response from Melissa Hartwig herself: https://forum.whole30.com/topic/2989-yeast-extract/

Good luck to you all! 

I found Alexia fries on the Whole Foods order online and pickup when I searched Whole30 Approved.  When they arrived they have a TON of non-approved ingredients.  I haven't found the Alexia Hash Browns.

@TheresaAnn I understand your frustration finding non-compliant ingredients in foods you would never suspect of having any. If there's anything I've learned over the course of five rounds of Whole30, it's to read my labels. Every. Single. Time. Even for foods I've purchased a hundred times. Food manufacturers put so much garbage in our food. It's ridiculous. 

I'm not sure what "Whole Foods order online and pickup" is but I would be wary of trusting any source other than yourself for compliance. Check every label and every list of ingredients yourself. There are a lot of people and a lot of companies out there that are trying to capitalize on the success of Whole30 by saying their food is Whole30 compatible. Most of it is not. Read your own labels. There is no official, approved database of approved foods. 

Also, just as an FYI, commercially prepared fries are no longer acceptable for Whole30. Either make your own or pass for your Whole 30. See the official "Can I Have" list here: https://whole30.com/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

Archived