• Moderators

If you end up making your own, you might be able to dice the potatoes small instead of grating them. You might need to adjust the cooking time a little. Or borrow a food processor from someone?

I haven't ever found pre shredded potatoes that are compliant.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

@DurhamDoesPaleo Have you considered a spiralizer? I love nothing more than spiralized potatoes in the morning with over-easy eggs on top! I use half sweet potato and half regular potato, cook it in ghee, and season with Spice Cave Land Seasoning and fresh ground pepper. It's so so so good! 

They only cost about $30 on Amazon (I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007Y9WHQ/ref=twister_B077JHR1HD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1). And they are SUPER easy to use and clean up! I seriously had one sitting in my kitchen for over a year, completely unused, because I thought it would be complicated, messy, and hard. It's not! I can seriously do it in about two minutes, including cleaning it! 

Also, regarding the Alexia Hashbrowns... They are amazing and I eat them all the time when not doing Whole30 but it sounds like autolyzed yeast is a bit of a gray area for Whole30...

Here's a thread about that particular ingredient, including a response from Melissa Hartwig herself: https://forum.whole30.com/topic/2989-yeast-extract/

Good luck to you all! 

• 11 months later...
  • Moderators
38 minutes ago, Emiliep said:

I thought dextrose was allowed as an exception to the sugar rule because it’s in table salt? That would make them compliant. https://whole30.com/2014/07/new-whole30/

Dextrose is allowed in salt. Only in salt. It is not allowed as an ingredient in anything else. 

Hey @kirbzdo you just saute the potatoes in fat until they're done? How long does it take? I have a spiralizer that I have used exactly once- not sure why but I have spiralizer-phobia. I know when I made a hash with potatoes in it, I used to precook the potatoes or use leftovers because it seemed like they took forever to cook and the pan started burning before the potatoes were cooked. My husband would be pretty thrilled if I could figure out how to make him some hash. That was always one of our camping foods, too. I'd pre-make it and put it in a vacuum seal bag then just dump it in a skillet to heat up and brown in our campsite. It was filling, delicious and didn't have to worry about ice chest water seeping into the container.

Hi @hollysmokes! When I make the spiralized hashbrowns, I cook them just over medium heat (like between medium and medium-high) with the lid on for about five minutes, and then the rest of the time without to brown them up. The time with the lid on softens them up enough to be just perfect without requiring any sort of pre-cooking for the potatoes! 

Let me know if you have any other questions. I really love these hashbrowns and honestly prefer them over regular! :-) 

• 1 year later...