After 70lbs Wieght Loss, looking for a Healthy Real Lifestyle

loby

I started Whole30 on Jan 2.  Over the course of the last year, I've lost 70lbs by watching my diet and moving more.  The problem is that the way I currently eat is not a realistic way to maintain that weight loss  - counting calories, constantly stressing about food choices and their impacts, and not really addressing the underlying causes of my lifelong battle with weight and food. I read the Whole30 plan after a recommendation from a friend - and am willing to give it a go.  Biggest fears - all this protein and healthy fats - afraid I'm going to gain back what I worked so hard to lose because my body isn't used to it, or go overboard with too much cooking oil, etc. 

That said, I'm committed. I haven't stepped on the scale since Jan 2 AM and have been compliant.  Excited and scared for the journey ahead!

• Administrators

Hi @loby - congrats on your weight loss! If you were heavily restricting your intake (classic weight-loss move), you actually may gain weight temporarily during your Whole30 as your body hangs on to the nourishment it's going to get. If you eat healthy, whole foods and create servings that keep you going for 4-5 hours, 3 times a day, that gain will be either temporary or it could put your body at a more realistic and comfortable set point. We can always starve ourselves to lose more weight and in the process lose health and balance, but the point you get to when your body settles while being fed whole, nourishing foods is healthful. :) 

I know where you are coming from, I was a WeightWatchers member for years and did very well until I just couldnot handle writing/measuring/weighing one more thing. That being said, not tracking this week has been pretty uncomfortable! I keep wondering if I am going overboard with portion sizes or added fats. Then I remember that fruits, veggies, and proteins were all zero or low points on WW, and since I'm not having dairy/grains/beans I need the calories from meat and fats. Anyway, just wanted to let you know you are not alone!

Yes! I totally get this. I've tried a few different things and done well for a while, then it feels impossible to stay with it because I just get so tired of calculating or counting or feeling restricted. And, it didn't change the way I interacted with food. I KNOW I have some unhealthy habits, and I also know that times where I've done things like not eaten any sugar or restricted carbs from grains that my body responded really well, the weight started to come off even when I wasn't exercising, and I felt good. I read It Starts With Food this week and would highly recommend it if you haven't read it yet. It explains the cycle that our bodies go through when things are out of balance and for the first time everything clicked for me. Where I had wanted to beat myself up because I just couldn't make it work, I realized that my body was all confused and I could have kept going and just kept struggling because some things need to get fixed. My husband decided to do Whole30 with me, and I made him read the book before fully committing. As he's been reading through it he's had a bunch of lightbulb moments too and I feel like our family is going to be going through a food revolution this month. We've already been talking about changes we can implement for the long term and we're just getting started. While I started looking at this for weight loss primarily, I'm now more excited about all the other changes that can come with it. I think this is where the phrase "Do it afraid" is very fitting :)

Archived