commitment date 1/16/2017

slemo58

Just now, huliganjetta said:

I don't eat meat,

IIRC I saw a post from you that said you're eating fish? Lots of good options there for you & loads of compliant recipes you could try.

How about this clam chowder from Stupid Easy Paleo? I've made it with mixed seafood and it's really good.... you could use water in place of the broth if you're not okay with broth - and it's a one pot meal - win win!!

@jmcbnTrue, I do eat fish and seafood. Thank you for your suggestion. It will feel weird to eat fish for breakfast, but it's all about changing habits, right? :)  I'm so grateful for this forum! I find it very helpful, and definitely makes the whole process much easier!

quick question, I found this recipe link, and am wondering if breakfast and grain-free bowls are Whole30 compliant? Or are they in the "banana egg pancake" category? http://greatist.com/eat/whole30-breakfast-recipes

@huliganjetta- A lot of those look pretty good - but a few fall into the SWYPO (sex with your pants on) category - I'd specifically avoid 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 10, 26 & 30.

Number 8 would be okay as a veg side dish but you'd need to add protein & fat to meet the template.

Fish for breakfast is actually pretty good, and very common in many parts of the world - it's certainly common place here in Ireland!

If it helps start thinking in terms of meals 1, 2 & 3 - that way anything you can eat for meal 3 can also be eaten for meals 1 or 2 and the world is your oyster.... ;)

start of day 3 and I have my first morning  workout on whole30. need to fight my morning eating issue. will have boiled egg and strawberries. need to plan post workout think some chicken with avocado- I can pack that till I get home. I also bought zora bars. I have not tried them but today may be the day.

good luck everyone ..planning is the key and the challenge :)

2 minutes ago, slemo58 said:

post workout think some chicken with avocado

The avocado will slow down absorption of the protein to the muscle so not the best postWO.

Here's a post I made in another thread earlier today about pre & postWO meals:

Ok, so for those of you struggling with pre & post WO meals...... if your WO is early morning, and skipping a preWO wold mean you not eating until more than an hr after wakening then we'd recommend you eat something. It need only be a few small bites - this is NOT to fuel your WO (although if you use fruit it WILL and you'll be preventing your body from learning to tap into it's fat stores), but rather more a signal that you're up, about to get active, and food is not scarce so go ahead & burn baby burn that fat.... A soft boiled egg can work, and many people will eat just the yolk, saving the white for postWO - great option.

For postWO you want a lean protein and an optional starchy carb. No fat. The protein is necessary for muscle protein synthesis - that's recovery & repair - and the carbs are for replacing spent muscle glycogen, so definitely necessary after an intense work out as muscle glycogen does not normalise on a daily basis. Fruit in this instance will replace LIVER glycogen, and the liver will utilise any other sugar it already has stored before it uses fructose. Fat will slow down absorption of the nutrients and prevent recovery. Ditch the fruit, nuts, and larabars & switch it up to some roasted chicken & sweet potato (both work well at room temp), or some egg whites & roasted potatoes. Again just a few bites will do...

Hope this helps.

Beginning of day four here....anyone else get up extremely early?  I am up usually at 3 am (CST) and in the bed by 8:30 -9 pm.  This morning having a hard time eating my breakfast.  I have taken this week off from the gym (the reason I get up at 3 am) so my body can get use to the new way of eating (although I didn't eat horrible prior to Whole 30 - I still had my moments of bingeing on sugary treats and junk.)   I think the lovely tummy problems the last couple of days due to those binge episodes and the Christmas / New Year foods!

Next week when I start back at the gym - I will eat the suggested before / after workout meals (hard boiled egg before and maybe more hard boiled egg and sweet potato after) - then save the breakfast for when I get to work at around 8 am.  i just wanted to see if there was anyone else having to work their meals around early hours.  

Happy Day 4! 

not up that early but 5am and on the road for 6a. so I do feel your pain. the morning meal is rough.

today did my first workout since starting ( day 3) wow kicked my  a++ !  I ate smallpiece of breakfast bake which is in whole 30 recipes it is sweet potatoes veggie  eggs and meat of choice.  I could taste it throughout the w/o I eat this usually for breakfast with no issues- it was working out.

post work out I had chicken and bone broth. did not realize needed a starch until read the prev post :{  anyway it is sitting quite well and I do fee reenergized!

there is  a learning curve with the program so we just keep getting better...it is about progress not perfection

So, I am doing this wrong...and you want me to eat MORE???  I am having trouble with the three meals!

i usually eat meal 1, have some coffee (not much now...my kingdom for some stevia!), read my whole30daily email, clean up and head to gym or out for run mid morning or so depending on the workout. I figured it's close enough to lunch time to skip a post WO snack and I had breakfast before I went, so I didn't think I needed a pre WO.  BUT @jmcbn sounds pretty adamant at least on the post WO.

How little of a post WO snack can I get away with? My workouts are pretty intense. Right now (training for my first half marathon on 3/11) they are either a hard spin class, or my own concoction of sprint intervals and weights/core, short-long run (5 miles), or long-long run (building...yesterday was 10). 5-6 days/week. 

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Mountain Girl said:

How little of a post WO snack can I get away with? My workouts are pretty intense. Right now (training for my first half marathon on 3/11) they are either a hard spin class, or my own concoction of sprint intervals and weights/core, short-long run (5 miles), or long-long run (building...yesterday was 10). 5-6 days/week. 

Post-WO just needs to be a little bit -- a few bites of chicken or other lean protein, and maybe a few bites of sweet potato or other starchy vegetable. Not a full meal size.

14 minutes ago, ShannonM816 said:

Post-WO just needs to be a little bit -- a few bites of chicken or other lean protein, and maybe a few bites of sweet potato or other starchy vegetable. Not a full meal size.

Ok. I'm looking for fast and portable. I have trouble with the starchy veggies because when I prep them my family eats them. Would a hard boiled egg (sans yolk) and half an apple or pear work? I'm pretty much passing on fruit the rest of the day...can't seem to have room for it after the protein, veggies and fat. So far I haven't had more than one serving of fruit a day. 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Mountain Girl said:

Ok. I'm looking for fast and portable. I have trouble with the starchy veggies because when I prep them my family eats them. Would a hard boiled egg (sans yolk) and half an apple or pear work? I'm pretty much passing on fruit the rest of the day...can't seem to have room for it after the protein, veggies and fat. So far I haven't had more than one serving of fruit a day. 

Fruit isn't recommended because it replace liver glycogen rather than muscle glycogen, and it's the muscle you're wanting to focus on post-WO. This article talks about what to have post-WO and why.

Can you separate out your own post-wo stuff into individual containers, and tell your family hands off, leaving them some starchy vegetables? I have heard of people using baby food pouches of sweet potato, so maybe that would work?

I could totally separate some out. That's a great idea. Any suggestions as to how to prepare them WITHOUT FAT? Just bake the potatoes, I guess. Boring but effective. And fine, I guess. It's not like I will be sitting down to a table to enjoy my post WO snack.  Just get it down. 

This is tough for me. It seems like so much food. 

well today is day 6. going strong sticking with meal prep and planning

continue to sleep better and something new-  I can smell. before I did not have a good sense of smell . today I walked in the house and could smell spaghetti sauce and simmering away...yumm

I attribute it to whole 30

• 2 weeks later...

day 20. I can not believe how well this is going! I am feeling great and feel pretty confident in my food choices. I do not any number for weight loss as I do not weigh until the end but clothes are definitely loose. I still struggle off  and on with the snacks ,or I should say no snacking, some days are successful others are not but I keep on anyway.

I can now eat breakfast within the 1 hour of waking--that was a huge problem for me in the first 2 weeks.

I have had to go back to the book as a refresher as I did feel confused with choices and other facts as the information is so much when you do this for the first time.

I can not say it enough preparation is the key. plan those meals it really really helps to keep you on track. Always read the labels those foods out there are tricky!

Archived