salt cod!

LandShark

What should I do with salt cod? Can I make a chowder, do you think? I feel like sweet potato fishcakes would be disgusting - anybody ever try? I'm from the east coast and mid-october when it gets windy and cold is when I want to eat up all the comfort food!

From the east as well, Jersey. I love bacalao. Fresh cod is great but salted cod is much better. I prefer to bake usually with a tomato base. Just last week I had cod 2 ways. One was baked with tomato puree, chopped tomatoes, onions, garlic, evoo, and a splash of water, covered and ot makes a nice fish gravy. Then I tried a curry style. Coconut milk, coconut oil, tumeric, cumin, cheyenne, paprika, celery salt, chopped tomatoes and chopped onions served over steamed cauliflower.

A stew would be great. Have to ponder that one.

What better way to change your relationship with food then to prep salt cod. Soaking and changing water you really get to know your ingredients.

• 5 years later...

Bacalhoada is a popular dish using salted cod. I prepare it this way:

1) Desalt cod and chop in pieces (3cm wide). For an easy and beautiful presentation, mix shallots (or large chunks of onions), pieces of cod, small potatoes (or larger one cut in 4 pieces), cherry tomatoes, baby carrots, black and green olives. Grind pepper over it, if you like. Lay everything on a casserole and bake until potatoes are golden. Remove from oven. On your plate, add olive oil generously. By adding olive oil after, you prevent it from turning saturated under intense heat.  You can eat it hot or cold and it's delicious both ways.

Archived