Sleepless in Seattle

MEWWILS

Hello friends, Day 5 here for me, after a really horrible Night 4. This first 4 nights of Whole30 I have been sleeping very poorly, and it's starting to take a toll. As a general rule, I'm not an insomniac. Also, I followed Whole30 guidelines closely for about 3 weeks in late Nov / early Dec (as a kind of trial run for this January Whole30) and was struck by how quickly I started sleeping like a baby. This time has been very different. It's only been 4 days, but I'm super frustrated and having to work really hard to stay focused and on plan because I'm so wiped out. 

Has anyone else experienced this kind of insomnia in the early days of Whole30? Any thoughts on what might be going on or suggestions on what to do about it? Thank you! 

• Administrators

I know that my sleep was disrupted in the first 10-14 days of my Whole30 and I was historically always a great sleeper. It eventually equalized. 

You can check back to your sleep hygiene practices (articles linked below) and you could also try a magnesium supplment such as the unflavoured Natural Calm. Besides having  a sedative-like effect, it also helps with bathroom habits and 98.2% of the western population is deficient due to poor overall farming practices.

Hi, MEWWILS.  I had issues falling and staying asleep when I did my first Whole30 in January 2016.  One of my non-scale victories was that I had consistent energy throughout the day, which was great until that consistent energy showed up when I woke up in the middle of the night and then could not get back to sleep.  I posted on the forum here and was asked the following questions (in addition to being asked to post a few days' worth of sample meals):

• Are you eating enough in the morning?  Not eating enough for breakfast can affect your sleep.
  • Are you eating enough fat?  Even if you use fat for cooking most of it does not make it on to your plate.  
  • Are you eating too much fruit?  Sugar cravings and sugar sensitivities can also affect sleep.  

I stopped eating fruit for breakfast and occasionally used Natural Calm supplement, both of which seemed to help me.   

I know how frustrating losing sleep can be; I hope you are able to figure out something that works for you soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

1st go round with Whole 30. Loving almost every aspect of it. Except, reading how sleep has improved for most. Not my case. I have had chronic insomnia for many years. Day 16 and it hasn't really improved for me.  Any thoughts or suggestions are so greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Archived