I started on Jan 2 and this doesn't suck.

shanthecitygirl

Hey Everyone! My name is Shannon and I am in Denver! This is my first Whole30. I have had friends do it before and so I finally pulled the trigger and am doing it myself. I am someone who loves pasta and snacks so I thought this would be majorly tough for me but so far I have been feeling great! Maybe not Tiger Blood I can do anything great (I did sleep for 10 hours straight last night) but other than a mild headache on Day 2 I haven't really been cranky or craving things yet. Is the worst to come? Was there less sugar in my system than I thought? Am I sleep eating chocolate? I was prepared for this week to suck but I planned my meals out carefully and that seems to be doing the trick. I'll keep you guys updated on how I fare and thanks in advance for the support! 

Hey Shannon I'm Ash and in Colorado too! I'm with you, I'm on Day 5 (started Jan 1) and not feeling horrible. I thought I was the only one! I have had a couple headaches, and I miss the textures of beans and whole wheat pasta in my usual meals. Sometimes I feel a bit empty, but not hungry, after eating meals. Hard to describe the feeling. But otherwise the energy is fine. I also planned out my meals/snacks hardcore, I'm wondering if that is helping? And I tried to tweak my go-to meals, instead of eating completely new things.

Hi! I'm on day 4, round 3, and this time around the lethargy and headaches came on earlier than my last 2 rounds. During my first one symptoms didn't really hit until days 5-6, then again about a week later. I think each person and each round is different. 

Good luck today....hopefully it's just smooth sailing for you and you get the skip the "dragon lady" phase. 

Hey Shannon! I'm Jeni and this is my first Whole30 and I am on day 4. So far so good! I workout regularly and I'm feeling the take away from not having my pre workout. I am extremely excited about this tho! Good luck and let's do this!

Happy Friday everyone! This is Day 6 for me, still feeling good! My husband made a mushroom and homemade italian sausage saute on sweet potato noodles last night that was awesome. 

I was disappointed to read yesterday that Whole30 came in last (38th!) in the annual U.S. News Best Diets ranking, behind even Slimfast and South Beach! I'm still going to stick with it this month and make my own opinion. 

On 1/5/2017 at 11:49 AM, shanthecitygirl said:

Hey Everyone! My name is Shannon and I am in Denver! This is my first Whole30. I have had friends do it before and so I finally pulled the trigger and am doing it myself. I am someone who loves pasta and snacks so I thought this would be majorly tough for me but so far I have been feeling great! Maybe not Tiger Blood I can do anything great (I did sleep for 10 hours straight last night) but other than a mild headache on Day 2 I haven't really been cranky or craving things yet. Is the worst to come? Was there less sugar in my system than I thought? Am I sleep eating chocolate? I was prepared for this week to suck but I planned my meals out carefully and that seems to be doing the trick. I'll keep you guys updated on how I fare and thanks in advance for the support! 

Shannon! I'm in Denver and this is my first Whole30 too! Oddly enough, I'm having the exact same experience and don't think it's that bad, no fog or hangover feeling. Maybe it's that mile high air?

The hardest thing was being snowed in yesterday, working from home, binge watching Parenthood, and not having a crunchy little snack. Tonight I'm planning to make a nut butter/sesame sauce over zoodles, veggies, and chicken. I'm used to ordering thai food or something on a Friday night and watching a movie. . . determined to enjoy my Friday ritual in a Whole30-happy way!

On 1/5/2017 at 0:56 PM, shanthecitygirl said:

Thanks Everyone! Usually, I really crave snacks but my appetite just hasn't been what is usually is. Is that normal? I'm eating meals but feeling satisfied sooner and I figured it would be the opposite. Anyone else feeling that way? 

@shanthecitygirl, I was just saying this to my husband last night. I am wondering if its just because your body is being nourished more quickly with these nutrient-dense foods. (That's my hypothesis, anyway!  :D) I also found in the last round (this is my second Whole30) that appetite would ebb and flow. Perhaps you are tuning in to your body more intently than when you were not on Whole30? Another possible explanation. 

@Aimee B Sound like a great Friday night plan! The snow made me really want warm, cozy food. Luckily I had made some Turkey, Cauliflower, and Kale soup and that did the trick. 

Is anyone else missing having a starch as the base of a bowl of meatballs or meat and veggies? I have been eating a lot of baby spinach and it is tasty and filling but isn't as comforting. I have has some luck with Cauliflower Rice, but does anyone else have any other suggestions? 

1 hour ago, Ash in the Mountains said:

I was disappointed to read yesterday that Whole30 came in last (38th!) in the annual U.S. News Best Diets ranking, behind even Slimfast and South Beach! I'm still going to stick with it this month and make my own opinion. 

I am glad you brought that up because I read that too and I felt so defeated when I read it.  I am wondering if they were ranking the diets for weight loss and Whole 30 doesn't necessarily focus on weight loss?  I am just guessing.  But it really put a damper on my day and made me wonder if I was doing the right thing for myself.

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, shanthecitygirl said:

Is anyone else missing having a starch as the base of a bowl of meatballs or meat and veggies? I have been eating a lot of baby spinach and it is tasty and filling but isn't as comforting. I have has some luck with Cauliflower Rice, but does anyone else have any other suggestions? 

Try mashed sweet potato or roasted butternut cubes or chopped up baked potato or mashed turnip? It's not the same as rice or pasta or bread but we do recommend having at least a fist sized serving of starchy veggie each day and if you do want something heartier under your meat and veggies, try that! :)

55 minutes ago, shanthecitygirl said:

For the longest time I panfried my cauliflower rice which can very easily get mushy, now I roast it in the oven at 350 until it is slightly tender, it has a way better consistency, more like rice. It made me fall in love with cauliflower rice all over again. Do you roast your cauliflower rice?

25 minutes ago, SWalker1 said:

I am glad you brought that up because I read that too and I felt so defeated when I read it.  I am wondering if they were ranking the diets for weight loss and Whole 30 doesn't necessarily focus on weight loss?  I am just guessing.  But it really put a damper on my day and made me wonder if I was doing the right thing for myself.

I think it may be because of all the restrictions in Whole30. Realistically, most people would not be able to do Whole30 100% over the long-term. I think the US News rankings look more at diets that can be done long-term. Also, I don't think Whole30 is a "diet" in the same sense as the other programs they rank. Whole30 isn't really about weight loss - it's about becoming healthier and seeing how your body reacts to certain foods. I'm kind of viewing any weight loss as a nice side effect!

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, SWalker1 said:

Eating protein, vegetables and good fats is never going to be the wrong thing. Remember, there is nothing that we eat on Whole30 that the food or pharmaceutical companies can use to bribe results etc like they may be doing with these other "diets". 

Also, Whole30 is not a diet. It's an experiment of 1.

• Moderators

For those concerned about the US News rankings, Melissa Hartwig addressed it on her Facebook page:

Editing to add: Click on the Facebook symbol there in the corner to open the post in a new window, clicking the See More doesn't seem to show the whole thing, at least for me.

I think it's important to think about what you're actually eating on a Whole30. Plates of vegetables (seriously, during my first Whole30, I remember thinking I was eating more vegetables that month than I'd eat in a year normally, and I actually like vegetables and wasn't going out of my way to avoid them before). Proteins. Healthy fats. If you don't call it Whole30, and just tell people you focus on eating those things, they're going to find it very hard to argue that it's unhealthy (unless they're vegans, they'd probably have some issues with it, but that's a totally different argument). 

@Ash in the Mountains, HI! :D I echo that sentiment about feeling great! I seriously am feeling like nothing can stop me now! :D (I'm also rocking Day 8.)

I've been working hard on meal planning and prep, and it is making ALL the difference for me! I've even got some good ideas in the works for my weekday breakfasts  (frittata, made in advance) and lunches (mason jar salads with the. most. amazing. homemade dressing) for the week, which was a huge concern of mine. Dinners are always pretty easy for me, and I'm really trying not to use emergency food (Lara and Epic bars) unless its a true emergency. 

So yeah! I'm rocking and rolling! :D

So far so good here! Saturday was SO hard. I had a 14+ hour workday and there were bagels everywhere. I was craving them so badly but I managed to stay away and eat the Whole30 food I brought. I had packed more food I would think I'd need in case cravings hit but I was feeling pretty satisfied and didn't need the extra snacks. Yesterday my Mom and I went out to dinner but I had looked at the menu first and it all worked out! 

Time to plan some meals for week two!  Anyone have any recipes that they loved? 

On 1/6/2017 at 3:01 PM, SWalker1 said:

Both weeks I have made a breakfast egg bake that I have pre-packaged into single serve baggies to grab and go. This morning, though, I tried a chia seed pudding made with coconut milk and a handful of sliced blueberries, pomegranate seeds, and walnuts, and a slight dusting of 100% cocoa powder. It was awesome, and a very good change from eggs! For dinners we have really been trying to stick to our usual meals with a few tweaks, such as chicken carnitas tacos in lettuce wraps and subbing a tomato/avocado salad for the usual rice. This week we are making a pomegranate beef crock pot with little boiled potatoes that I am really looking forward to, as well as a shrimp stir fry on zucchini noodles. I'm also really trying to avoid the 'emergency' food like Lara bars. I've been having one fresh fruit snack a day with a smear of cashew butter, like a ripe pear or banana. It seems to hit the spot.

Help Whole30 friends! This weekend was really tough for me and ended up going to bed on Saturday night at 8pm with a cup of tea and no dinner. I had to work all day and after a 6-day work week, cooking at home was not going to be an option. I looked at ordering some "low carb sushi" (sushi wrapped in cucumber with no rice) but ended up feeling totally frustrated and angry. My fiance ended up having some jalapeno chicken sausage and fruit for dinner while I grumbled about wanting to quit.

Honestly, I'm seriously questioning why I started this and if I'm going to stay on it for 30 days. Yesterday I had scrambled eggs with avocado for breakfast and we went to Chipotle for lunch in between errands. My fiance ditched the Whole30 and went for a chicken burrito! I'm not surprised he went off and actually very supportive of it. He quit chewing tobacco on January 1st and we both agreed that kicking the tobacco habit takes priority over anything else right now. He's agreed to stay supportive of me and keep eating Whole30 breakfasts and dinners but he's on his own for lunch. I swear, as soon as he was done with his burrito the color came back to his cheeks and he was the happiest he has been since 2016!

I was also talking to my dad about Whole30 yesterday and he asked me, "why are you doing this?". I started to tell him about all the benefits of Whole30 and realized that I don't have any of the things that it is supposed to solve . . . I'm really doing it for the weight loss. I'm getting married in October and my greatest fear is looking back on my shower, bachelorette party, wedding, etc. and thinking "why didn't I just try harder to get to a point where I feel good about my body?". I really want to feel good and proud of my body at all these events and started Whole30 as a kick start to loosing some much needed weight. Not a ton, but 20 lbs or so would be amazing.

So, my dilemma is feeling like I want to go off Whole30 here and there so that I am not so miserable but keep up the habits that I've started . . . thoughts?

PS - Right here, right now, sitting at my desk at work typing up my gripes, I'm still on Whole30. Packed a lunch of tuna/egg salad and prepared to keep on keeping on. :) 

@Aimee B Hang in there! It's great that you packed a tasty sounding Whole 30 lunch! 

I am also interested in weight loss and here is now I have been thinking about that goal with my Whole30 experience. 

Every weight loss program I have tried has talked about changing the way you think about food. About eating healthier, nutrient- dense food and being in touch with your cravings and hunger level. No matter how much I have tracked calories, points, carbs, what have you, I have never been able to master that kind of self-awareness in term of what I eat and how it makes me feel.  Doing Whole30 is less about being the "diet" that is going to make me lose weight but it is more about taking these 30 days to learn about myself and my relationship with food so that down the line I can lose weight healthfully. This is the first time in as long as I can remember that I haven't craved snacks or noshed mindlessly at work all day. I've been able to say no to food that I have been unable to resist on every other program. I'm not trying to lose weight over these 30 days, I am trying to reset my body so I can do that later. Does that make sense? Hopefully, that's helpful to you as well. Maybe you're still having cravings and missing snacks but give it time and see if you can find that point at some time in the next few days or weeks. 

17 hours ago, Ash in the Mountains said:

How is everyone feeling? I'm finishing Day 8 and I feel great! Today was the first day I didn't feel empty, and I was also able to go longer between meals without discomfort. I still find myself wanting something sweet after dinner, but I just grab a La Croix or make a cup of tea. 

I'm really happy this empty feeling ends. I'm on day 2 and feel the exact same way. I know I'm not "really" hungry, but man do I want to eat. 

Archived