Not wanting to kill all the things. I just want to sleep.

DrewB

Hi everyone - I am on day 4 and this is my second Whole 30.  My first one was several years ago so I may not be remembering everything correctly but I feel like I was pretty in line with the "schedule" of side effects experienced by most.  This time it seems different.  I did not experience the "hangover" days (which I am not complaining about!) and now I'm not really wanting to "kill all the things".  I was a little irritable yesterday but nothing major.  It may have been mainly because I am so tired!!  I feel like I'm walking around in a bit of a fog and I just want to crawl into bed.  Is anyone else feeling like this?  Is it normal?  I am journaling my food so I can see what I'm really eating and it helps keep me on track; I don't want to write down a non-compliant food so I can't eat it!  I'm not sure if I'm not eating enough?  I feel full and actually pretty bloated today which I think may be a result of dinner last night.

When did regular potatoes become compliant and why did they?  The first time I did a Whole 30 it was sweet potatoes only.  Last night I made the mexican twice baked potato recipe form the Whole 30 cookbook.  It was delish!  But I was SO full afterward and this morning I was so so swollen, I couldn't even get my wedding ring on.  I've been bloated all day.  I had thought about doing the autoimmune version since I do have Celiac disease but taking out tomatoes, eggs and potatoes seems even more limiting.  However after dinner last night I'm thinking maybe I really shouldn't eat potatoes.  

So now I just feel fat and bloated while I walk around in a fog at work and want to sleep.  Any tips or input?

I'm not familiar with the recipe - what else was in it besides potatoes?

Also, the timeline is really only a guide so panic not - not everyone goes through each of the phases. Personally I never experienced KATT, and sometimes I think it's a kind of placebo effect - you read it & then you experience it almost because you think you should....

Are you salting your food? Drinking a half an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily? What other veg are you eating in general? Are you getting enough fat?

It is ground beef w/ onion, garlic. Mix that in with the insides of the potatoes.  There is a cauli rice too but I didn't add that in.  Top it with compliant salsa and guac.  Nothing bad in it, it was really good.  Just not sure I should continue eating regular potatoes.

I salt some of my food but I don't think I go overboard with it.  I think I am drinking enough water, I could probably up that.  Here is a what I ate yesterday:

Breakfast - black coffee w/ tbsp of coconut oil and some cherry tomatoes. (I normally eat more than that but it was a really busy day and I didn't get time.

Lunch - mixed greens with tuna in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Gingerade Kombucha.

Snack - 3 garlic stuffed olives, cherry chia kombucha.  

Dinner - the twice baked potato.

The day before I had left over sausage/potato/kale soup for breakfast and lunch. Snacked on a few cherry tomatoes, and then for dinner did a Bison patty w/ roasted brussel sprouts and shallots.

Today I've had coffee w/ coconut oil, brussel sprouts for breakfast and mixed greens w/ tuna in olive oil, blueberries, and balsamic vinegar for lunch.

I see a lot of high FODMAP foods - onion, garlic, avocado at tea; coffee in the am; garlic cloves in the olives in the pm; sprouts yesterday & today. Those would make me feel bloated & tired WAY more than the potato.

The thing with FODMAPs is that often it's to do with the dosage, so say sprouts one morning, and some avocado later the next day & you'd be fine. But have some kind of high FODMAP food at every meal (or some combo of a number of high FODMAPs) and eventually you go over your personal threshold. If you're eating more of these foods than you normally would then this could well be the cause of your discomfort.

White potatoes became 'legal' back in July 2014 by the way - the thinking being that nutritionally they have as good a profile as any other variety (or better as some might argue), and provided they weren't chipped & deep fried they weren't as likely to become a crutch/comfort food.

Do potatoes bother you normally? How about the other night shades you were considering excluding?

I've never really noticed potatoes bothering me before.  I know that bell peppers bother me a lot so I avoid those all the time.  I didn't realize the garlic, avocado or brussel spouts were high FODMAP foods.  I thought it was just eggs, potato, tomato, and peppers (including those seasonings).

I guess this is something I need to pay attention to and try to limit the high FODMAP foods.

I just hope my energy comes back soon and I can focus!  I have also been trying to train for a marathon and my legs aren't agreeing with me, they feel like lead.

Eggs, potatoes, peppers & tomatoes etc are Nightshades.

Avocado, garlic, onion, coffee, sprouts (and a WHOLE host of other things) are high FODMAPS.

They're two separate food groups and it could be that you;re sensitive to one or the other - you're unlikely to be sensitive to both.

Keep your food journal going. Be specific about veg types, portion sizes, & any symptoms - headaches, rashes, joint inflammation tend to be nightshade related. Gastrointestinal tend to be FODMAP related. If you need anymore info let me know and I can point you in the right direction. I don't want to overwhelm you on your 4th day!

6 hours ago, kirkor said:

I know eggs are potentially allergenic, but I didn't think they were considered nightshades? I know eggplant is. :ph34r:

LOL Yes, true - the OP had mentioned AIP and my mind was on that - my bad! :wacko:

I think it may have just been too many FODMAP foods close together. I waited a day and then had leftover potato for breakfast and felt fine. I've been watching the high FODMAPS and trying to swap them out for other foods and it seems to be helping.

Hi Drew!
I have been having the same sleepy fog thing too! This is my second whole30, didn't have any of the early symptoms (hangover, KATT..) but have been feeling so tired and just want to sleep! I thought it might be my new allergy medicine, so I skipped it this AM but still feel sluggish, despite my 9 hours of sleep last night. And I feel super bloated.

I am also journaling and seeing if I can start moving around some foods (eliminate potatoes entirely! maybe that's the stickler?) and see what else I can do to improve energy. Will let you know if I discover anything!

Hope you are hanging in there! Bring on week 2!

Archived