Starting my first whole30 on 10/22

Camille Ho

Hey guys,

So after a whirlwind of internet googling and research, I've finally decided to make the switch to eating Paleo and am going to kick it off by doing a Whole30 beginning on Oct. 22.

I figured out I was gluten-intolerant nearly two years ago and have been on-and-off with a gluten-free diet over that time (I was pretty terrible with it during/after my pregnancy). Although I'm back on it and feel much better, I know that I'm still not 100% and I'm ready to see if switching to Paleo can help me out.

I am nervous, but excited and cannot wait to see the results. My husband is 75% on-board with this, I think our main concern is going to be the cost of food. We're pretty poor at the moment, but I can't justify buying cheap food and feeling crappy any longer.

If anyone has any great encouragement, or is going to be starting on the same day, I'd love to connect with you--It would be nice not to go through this alone!

I'll be starting on the 22nd as well, we should be buddies! This will be my 3rd Whole 30, and I promise you'll love it. I'm not going to lie, the first week is really rough. It gets so much easier and you won't believe how awful you felt compared to your post-30 day mindset and physical condition. Let me know if I can help you out in any way aside from moral support!

Yes, I would love to be buddies!

It's nice to have some reassurance from someone who has done this before. I'm fully expecting to have a rough go for the first little while, but I know (from my gluten experience) how much better I'll feel once it's all said and done.

Do you have any advice on how to keep food costs down? Like I said, my husband is "mostly" on board, but we're both kind of stressing about how much it's going to cost. I know we'll save in other areas, since I won't be buying expensive gluten-free food, or any other processed stuff, but still...I'm meal planning right now and trying to find things that will make a lot of leftovers. I'm thinking that I probably need to go shopping about once a week to make sure I have enough produce, right?

I think once a week would be fine. I'm not sure about availability of produce there in the UK, but eating seasonally is a sure way to keep costs down. The amazing Dallas and Melissa have this guide to help you out:

http://whole9life.com/2012/01/seasonal/

Here in the US, buying meat that's grass fed/pastured/whatever gets REALLY expensive, so I do my best to buy larger cuts of quality meat and break it down accordingly. Buying a whole chicken and eating that for a few days, then making stock from the bones, is a much cheaper way to get protein instead of buying breasts and thighs here and there. Get comfortable with some at-home butchery and you'll save a ton of money.

Yeah, I definitely am okay with the at-home butchery (even if it does give me the heebie-jeebies a little).

We went to the Famer's Market yesterday and scored some delicious sausages, a big bag of chicken legs, and 2lbs of ground steak, as well as some produce. I just put in our "pantry order" from the store, so I've got coconut milk, curry paste, olives, and all that other stuff coming tomorrow morning.

I've planned out breakfast tomorrow, and I have four dinners figured out--hopefully with leftover to have for lunch. I know I need to plan as much as possible, but I'm also realizing that I'm probably just going to have to wing-it sometimes and figure something out from whatever produce/protein we have in the house.

The cost of it all was high, but lower than I expected (at least for this week)...we'll see how it all pans out.

The pantry has been cleaned out, and I made my husband read the four page introduction to the plan, and he's decided that he's fully on-board, so I've actually got legit support, which is awesome. I'm a little worried about dealing with our son (who is fifteen months), but I know that he'll eat when he's hungry and if he gets hungry enough, he'll eat what I offer.

Anyway. That was a lot, but I feel good typing out everything that I've done to get ready for this--if only to remind myself that we're going to make it through these 30 days. I have to say, though, that I am expecting some major results from this and that if they don't come through I'm going to be pretty disappointed.

Archived