Am I using too much EVOO?

Tigers2013

I like to think of myself as a pretty good home cook but I tend to rely heavily on  EVOO for roasting, sautéing, etc. I have coconut oil and ghee on hand but keep mindlessly grabbing EVOO everytime I coat veggies to roast. It's generally only a tbs-2 for an entire tray. Am I really doing myself a disservice? I've asked around and have gotten mixed reviews so I figured I'd bring it here. This is my first go round and I'm on day 4. Thanks in advance for your advice! 

Some sources say EVOO breaks down when heated so that the health benefits are lost; they say it's better to add EVOO after the cooking process or use as a dressing or a flavoring. I tend to use ghee for frying; I still use EVOO for oven-roasting vegetables just because it's easy, but when I've used ghee for roasting, it's turned out to be especially tasty!

Stephanie

5 hours ago, Bellmaestra said:

Some sources say EVOO breaks down when heated so that the health benefits are lost

Not just some sources, it's the chemistry: the smoke point of EVOO is <350, just south of coconut oil, so it's not good for sauteeing and other high heat applications.

Here's a good list: https://jonbarron.org/diet-and-nutrition/healthiest-cooking-oil-chart-smoke-points

Interesting and useful list; thanks! I couldn't find ghee on there; I looked it up elsewhere and it said the smoke point for ghee is 482F.

I've been cooking my morning eggs (and sometimes potatoes) in ghee. One morning I threw in a little butter leftover from a family meal the day before, and before I knew it, I had set off the smoke alarm! The milk solids make a big difference!

Stephanie

Archived