Spiced Carrot Soup

Sharon Simpson Thumann

I found this on FoodTV.com.

So. Freaking. Good.!!

Oh, you know those soup containers chinese restaurants use for their take out soups? I found some on Amazon, they freeze well! 16 ounces, I use them to store diced onions, carrots and celery in the fridge and bone broths in the freezer and now for soups/chilis!

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons olive oil (I used ghee)
  • 2 cups chopped onions
  • 6 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger, divided
  • 2 tablespoons ground cardamom
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3 pounds carrots, washed, unpeeled, roughly chopped
  • 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled, roughly chopped
  • Water, as needed
  • 1 cup fresh orange juice
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup creme fraiche (I used coconut milk and made a smoked paprika "sour cream")
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped

Directions

In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat and saute the onions, garlic, 1 tablespoon grated ginger, cardamom, and cinnamon. Stir to combine and saute for 6 minutes. Add the carrots and sweet potatoes. Saute for another 2 minutes.

Add enough water to cover all of the vegetables. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook until the carrots and sweet potatoes are soft, about 45 minutes.

Remove the soup from the heat and using a hand held immersion blender, or using a food processor, carefully puree the soup until smooth, and then strain through a sieve into a fresh pot.

Place the pot over medium-low heat and stir in the orange juice, apple cider vinegar, and remaining grated ginger. Simmer the mixture for 15 minutes.

In a small bowl, stir the creme fraiche and cilantro together.

To serve: Ladle the soup into bowls and top each bowl with a spoonful of the creme fraiche-cilantro mixture.

This really sounds good. So [perfect for the upcoming cool weather.

But I'm concerned about the orange juice.

Perhaps a mod can tell us if this is compliant since it serves 8 - 12 and the amount of OJ would be small in each serving.

Archived