3rd W30 in Stockholm, Sweden

EmmaSthlm

I am starting my third W30 today. I have gained some weight over the holidays, I have had far too much alcohol and sugar, and not lived as healthy as I usually do. So I am really looking forward to do another W30 - to get my body in shape again. 

In parallell, I will also make an extra effort in the gym and do some heavy weight-lifting combined with some yoga. Timing should be good, since I have my son in London and my partner in Los Angeles, which gives me plenty of time to focus on myself the upcoming month. 

STARTING STATS

Height: 5.7 (170 cm)

Weight: 156 pounds (70.6 kilos)

Fat: 27.6 %

Waist: 28.3 inches (72 cm)

IMG_7662.JPG

Day 1

Feeling strange today. Missing my partner a lot, who, after having spent five weeks here, left to go back to LA yesterday. I hate long distance relationships!!!

But the good thing is that I can focus fully on my health and body, and eat exactly what I want. And since I am going to LA exactly a month from today, I have a good incentive to stick to W30.

Went to the gym and did a good weightlifting session and then a yoga class online, when I came back home. I love heavy weightlifting – and yoga!

Spent the night at home, catching up on some Scandinavian TV-series I have not been able to follow with my Canadian/American partner here.

FOOD

B: 2 eggs, ½ avocado, ½ grapefruit

L: steak, sauerkraut, apple

D: tuna, salad, eggs + persimon

S: raw bar, oranges

MOOD

Feeling lonely, since partner left for LA yesterday and son lives in London. But at least it gives me time to focus on myself and my health.

MOVE

Started new fitness program, with a focus on weight-lifting. Love going to the gym and it will be a good compliment to W30. Also doing a yoga challenge online. Today:

·      Shoulders & arms

·      65 min Vinyasa Flow

MIND

Yoga, reading and writing a bit, and watching “Skam”, a very hyped Norwegian TV-series.

SLEEP

8 hrs. 12 – 8 am. Still tired. 

Day 2

I focus more on working out than on the food. I just eat Paleo, without worrying so much about it.

The only thing that is difficult is when you are in a social situation. Today I went to a reception, for a dying father of an old friend. It was emotionally tough, and it did not help that I could not eat or drink anything, except a black cup of coffee and water. It felt very rude.

I think that is the worst thing with W30 – it makes you appear very egoistical. I am usually a flexible, polite person, who will eat anything that is served, especially when people have made an effort.

Perhaps it is also cultural. In Europe relationships are more important than food. You eat to socialize, and you would for example never watch TV if you are eating together with someone. Having an American partner, this is something I think about a lot. Sometimes we are really different, especially when it comes to how we look at our own versus other peoples’ needs - and I think W30 is more of an American diet.

FOOD

B: eggs, ½ avocado, ½ grapefruit

L: salmon, eggs, tomatoes, apple

D: lamb, sweet potatoes

S: raw bar, nuts, orange, apple

MOOD

Still missing my partner, but that is life in a long distance relationship… Exercise helps!

MOVE

Yes, a lot. Started the day with:

·      50 minutes Bhakti Yoga (online)

·      Gym: plyo & legs

MIND

Good yoga session, some writing and reading, seeing friends, and more of “Skam”.  

SLEEP

8 hrs straight. 11.30 – 7.30. Feeling rested.

Day 4

Difficult day. Back to work – and very stressed. Felt great in the morning, but bad in the afternoon. Had far too many almonds – and felt awful afterwards. I feel so much better when I follow my plan!!!

Of course, I did not fail. I only had too many almonds, but nothing that was not compliant. But still. Eating too much does not feel good!

FOOD

B: eggs, avocado, ½ grapefruit

L: lamb , salad, sweet potatoes, apple

D: steak, sauerkraut, orange

S: raw bar, orange, apple & far too many almonds

MOOD

Stressed. And a bit lost. I don’t know what I want to do with my life.

MOVE

·      40 minutes yoga

·      30 minutes crosstrainer

MIND

Pleasure in reading, writing, thinking, and meeting new people. But stressed. I have to learn how to say no!

SLEEP

6.5 hrs. 11.30-6.00. Woke up by myself.

I found myself thinking about your comment about seeming egotistical when on a Whole30.  I was invited to dinner tonight and declined saying I had lots of work to do (which is true) but a big part was that I didn't want to politely not eat the food they were making and yet, now, I'm not visiting with friends which seems wrong.  Yet, really, I do have work to get done and I was hoping to have a good chunk of time to do it, but if I wasn't on Whole30, I would have probably accepted the invite.   I wonder, though, how much more Whole30 like things are needed in the U.S. where the general fare at a friend's house includes lots of really unhealthy things.  It seems to me, that in Sweden, I'd be more apt to find a healthier selection of foods to eat and the breads or dairy would be a small balanced part of the meal.  

Day 4 (the real Day 4, yesterday was Day 3…): FEELING LOW

Feeling low. Don’t know if it is work, W30, or missing my partner. Stayed and worked from home. Only good moment was during yoga. Feeling even worse at night.

FOOD

B: eggs, ½ avocado, ½ grapefruit (standard)

L: roasted lamb, sauerkraut, orange, dates

D: salad with salmon, avocado, sweet potatoes, olives & orange

S: banana, almond butter, orange (cannot go without snacks)

MOOD

Feeling low and sad. Cried a lot.   

MOVE

50 min tough Vinyasa Flow

Some cardio

MIND

Not much.  

SLEEP

8,5 hrs straight. 11-7.30. Dreamed a lot about ex-boyfriends.    

2 hours ago, Emma said:

I found myself thinking about your comment about seeming egotistical when on a Whole30.  I was invited to dinner tonight and declined saying I had lots of work to do (which is true) but a big part was that I didn't want to politely not eat the food they were making and yet, now, I'm not visiting with friends which seems wrong.  Yet, really, I do have work to get done and I was hoping to have a good chunk of time to do it, but if I wasn't on Whole30, I would have probably accepted the invite.   I wonder, though, how much more Whole30 like things are needed in the U.S. where the general fare at a friend's house includes lots of really unhealthy things.  It seems to me, that in Sweden, I'd be more apt to find a healthier selection of foods to eat and the breads or dairy would be a small balanced part of the meal.  

Yes, I think you are right, although I find it varies a lot, both in the US and here in Sweden. My friends in LA eat super healthy, even healthier than most of my friends here. Here we tend to eat more dairy and definitely more grains, but a lot less sugar and processed food. I am always chocked by the amount of sugar added in the US. That is not the case here. So there are + and - in both countries. 

Day 5:

Stressful day – and it affects W30. Too much almond butter (I have to get rid of all things nutty!!), but otherwise OK.

FOOD

L: avocado, salmon, tomatoes, apple

D: roasted lamb, sauerkraut, orange, dates

S: almond butter, banana, orange

MOOD

Stressed.

MOVE

45 min HIIT + 50 min Vinyasa Flow.

MIND

Just some yoga. And a lot of skyping with boyfriend.

SLEEP

6,5 hrs. 11.30 – 6.00. Woke up early by myself.

Day 6: EARLY RISE

I tend to wake up early on W30 and I also run out of energy every now and then. Had low blood sugar at least twice today.

FOOD

L: salad with seafood and salmon

D: roasted lamb, sweet potatoes, broccoli 

S: almonds, orange + dates

MOOD

Stressed, but OK.

MOVE

30 min Pilates + 10 min Yoga (no good…)

SLEEP

7 hrs. 11.00 – 6.00. Woke up early by myself. W30? Or stress?

Day 7: STILL NO MAJOR EFFECTS

First time I did a W30, it was just AMAZING. I was blown away! Second time I did not feel much, but I did not struggle either. It was just easy. This time is the same. I do not feel much. It is fairly easy, except socially, and I do not crave anything. But I do not feel amazing either.

Perhaps the reason is that I quit dairy for the first time during my first W30. When I reintroduced it, I realized it made me sick. Now I never eat dairy, so it is not such a big change to go on W30.

I also eat fairly paleo, even when I am not on W30. No dairy, not so much grains, not so much sugar, seldom processed food… the only thing I eat (a lot of) that is not compliant are legumes, but they do not seem to bother me.

Tonight I have my first dinner out, but I have already checked the restaurant, and it seems to be fine. I plan to have tuna with green beans and lemon for dinner and tell them to use olive oil instead of butter! And water. Lots of water. I am such a party person on W30…

FOOD

B: eggs, avocado, ½ grapefruit

L: butternutsquash soup

D: grilled tuna with green beans & lemon.

S: almond butter, raw bar, orange

MOOD

Stressed. I am so behind at work… and today I was running between things like crazy.  

MOVE

50 min Vinyasa Flow before breakfast. Good start!

SLEEP

11.30-7.45. 8 hrs. Woke up by message from son (who arrived at 2.30 in the morning due to a delayed flight from London), but went straight back to sleep. Feel rested.

Day 8: STARTING SECOND WEEK STRONG

The first week was easy. I did not have a lot of social obligations, which is always the difficult part. If I only have control, I have no problem following W30 – and I have hardly had any cravings. Perhaps a little bit for wine and legumes, but not too much. 

FOOD

L: frittata with broccoli, onion, salmon & eggs, fruits

D: roasted lamb, sauerkraut, dates, fruits

S: coconut coffee, orange

MOOD

Worried about work and family. I have too much to do at work, I am worried about my old parents’ health, and I worry about my partner. It is just a day of worries. 

MOVE

90 min Vinyasa Flow at the studio – felt great!

Gym: legs & back – even better!

SLEEP

8 hrs. 11.30 – 8.00. Woke up once due to nightmare about my mother being sick, kept me awake for a while.

Day 9: STRESSED OUT

I am very stressed at work. I have worked all day, even though it is Sunday. The upcoming week will be awful, but I do not worry about W30. I will make sure I have control over my meals, and I will continue to take time for yoga every day. It is more important than ever!!!

FOOD

L: sauerkraut, (compliant) chorizo

D: duck breast, salad, sweet potatoes & dates

S: raw bar, fruits

MOOD

Stressed. Worried about partner.

MOVE

50 min Vinyasa Flow before breakfast – felt tough today. Low blood sugar?

Gym: arms, chest & shoulders. Lovely! I am never happier than at the gym!!!

SLEEP

7 hrs. 12.00-7.00. OK. Another nightmare about death. This time a friend.

Day 10:  THE WEEK FROM HELL

This will be a week from hell. I have so much to do at work: lots of teaching, lots of planning, a grant application, an exam, two public speeches, lots of meetings, etc… I bet I will be working 60-70 hours – and on top of that I have my son visiting from England – and it is his birthday tomorrow, so I will need to make a cake tonight…

But I will try to make sure that I practice yoga every day, and perhaps I will even add a meditation. I might not have time to go the gym, but I will try to do some Pilates at home. Yoga, pilates and meditation might be what I need the most this week!

FOOD

L: roasted lamb, sweet potatoes, tomatoes & fruits

D: chorizo & sauerkraut + fruits

S: raw bar, almond butter + fruits

MOOD

Worried about how this week will go – I have far too much on my plate right now (and always)!!!

MOVE

No morning yoga, no Monday morning spinning, no…;-(

MIND

Guided meditation 10 min.

SLEEP

8 hrs. 11.00-07.00. Lots of dreams. About my fitness instructor, among others. I dream a lot on W30!

Day 11: NO GOOD WITH STRESS

Stressful day. Celebrated son’s birthday in the morning, but no, no cake for me! Took him to a restaurant for lunch, had grilled salmon and salad,. Even made sure they only used oil, and no butter. Worked very late and had a fight with partner over phone. Partly due to my stress and his depression. Stress and depression do not go so well together. I become so impatient, when I am stressed. And he becomes difficult, when he is depressed. 

FOOD

L: salmon, salad

D: butternut squash soup, salmon, salad

S: raw bar, fruits, almond butter

MOOD

Stressed like crazy.

MOVE

25 min Pilates + 35 min Yoga – at least!

SLEEP

6,5 hrs. 12.00 – 6.30. Woke up early from stress!

Day 12: STILL STRESSED…

No good day. Felt stressed from the moment I woke up – and it continued all day!  

FOOD

L: salmon, avocado, tomatoes, fruit

D: sauerkraut, steak, dates

MOOD

No good. Continued fighting with partner in LA – and time difference and distance make it really hard! Solved it at night, and now it all feels good! But it is difficult to keep a relationship across continents!!!

MOVE

Nothing. 0. What is wrong with me???

SLEEP

6 hrs. 12.00 – 6.00. Woke up early from stress! Partner kept me late in the office, wanting to discuss his issues, but not mine, over the phone, which made me irritated. I need my sleep!

Day 13: INSOMNIA

My biggest problem on W30 is that I have trouble sleeping. I usually do not have it, but last time on W30 the same thing happened. I could not sleep.

I wake up early, as if I had some kind of restless energy inside me, that cannot make me rest more than 5-6 hours. I hate it! Although I make it through the days, since my energy level continues to be high. But my brain is more foggy than usual and I tend to be slightly dizzy all the time. I have tons of problems balancing in yoga, for example.

FOOD

L: salad, duck breast

D: sauerkraut, steak

S: fruits, raw bar

MOOD

Stressed and tired.

MOVE

60 min fitness class. Yes!!!

60 min walking – so nice!!!

SLEEP

5.5 hrs. 12-5.30. I sleep really badly on W30!!! Will it change? It was the same thing last time I did a W30.

Day 14: QUESTIONING W30

Wow, time goes by quickly. I have done almost two weeks on W30. It has been very easy, but it does not feel like it has changed a lot.

My main concern is that I have trouble sleeping. I wake up early on W30, which makes me foggy and dizzy all day. It was the same thing on my last W30.

I re-read my journal from my second W30, and it did not make me happy: “I have had no cravings, no downs, no nothing, except the difficulties sleeping and doing hard cardio. So I have some negative side-effects, but no positive ones of this W30. It is a disappointment.”

It is very similar to how I feel this time, when I am almost half-way.

Perhaps W30 is not my thing? I will of course finish it, but if it does not get better, I will stay away from it in the future. Perhaps I need my grains. Or my legumes.

FOOD

L: salad, grilled chicken

D: eggs, (compliant) bacon, tomatoes, dates & fruit

S: raw bar, fruit

MOOD

Stressed all day, and then very, very tired!  

MOVE

60 min walk

30 min yoga

SLEEP

7 hrs. 11.00-6.00. Woke up early again.

• Moderators

The fact that you're having a snack every day could mean you need to make your meals larger. When you have eggs as your only protein, have as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand, which is probably 3-4. Add vegetables to your meal one -- always emphasize vegetables over fruit. Fruit should be limited to not more than two fist-sized servings a day.

When you have salad, what's in it? Raw leafy greens break down to nothing and aren't necessarily good for keeping you satisfied, so try adding more substantial vegetables as well if you aren't already. Broccoli, cauliflower, bell peppers, tomatoes, jicama, roasted hunks of sweet potato, beets, carrots. And don't be afraid to add fat -- if you want dressing on your salad, plus avocado or olives or some of both, that's fine.

Don't forget to salt your food and drink plenty of water.

When you have a workout that feels strenuous, try adding a post-workout snack of a bit of lean protein and maybe some starchy vegetable, just a few bites of each, shortly after the workout, in addition to your regular meals.

If your meals are big enough, you'll be able to go 4-5 hours between them without being hungry. If you find you do need to eat between meals, try to have some protein, some fat, and some vegetables, or at least two of the three.

Maybe these things would make a difference in how you're feeling. At least, it's worth trying for the next couple of weeks, especially since you're not going to try another whole30 again since this one isn't going well (which is fine, everyone is different, and this may not be for you).

I do hope you feel better soon.

You can download the meal template here if you want to review it: http://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

9 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

Thanks Shannon, but just to explain: I feel fine, except that I wake up early. But that is partly because of high energy levels. It is like my body cannot rest for so many hours. 

I agree with what you say otherwise, except the one snack. I really need it, since I have extremely low blood pressure and low blood sugar - and long days. But yes, I could eat something else than a raw bar and a fruit. And I could definitely add some vegetables to my breakfast. 

My salads are fine, though, always with avocados, olives, etc, and lots of broccoli, cauliflower, etc. 

I believe that W30 + legumes + some good grains (like rye oatmeal in the morning) is my perfect way of eating - and I will probably go back to that after these 30 days. 

Day 15: HALFWAY

Feeling fine, but I think I will amp up my routines for the second half of W30:

·      Drink more water

·      Exercise more, particularly heavy weights

·      Stress less - and, hopefully, sleep more

·      Eat more carbs, like sweet potatoes

·      Eat less fruit

·      Eat less nuts and nut butter (although this week has not been so bad: no nuts and only a tiny bit of almond butter)

Tonight I went out to dinner with a male friend, who has no understanding of diets: But the restaurant did well and I had a great shrimp- and mango salad.

Realized that my partner has no clue that I am doing a W30. He eats lots of sugar, lots of bread, cakes, cookies, oatmeal, etc, tons of legumes, wine every day… the only thing that is W30-compliant is that he does not eat much dairy and – best of all – hardly any processed food!

It will be interesting to go straight from W30 to him, but I think I will be OK. I will re-introduce grains and legumes, but go slow on sugar, cakes and bread, wine, etc. It has never been my thing. I do not have a sweet tooth and I never eat baked goods or drink much alcohol, so I will be fine.  I will happily eat the steel-cut oats and the legumes, but stay away from the rest.

FOOD

L: bacon, egg, tomatoes

D: shrimp- and mangosalad

S: raw bar, fruits, dates, almond butter

MOOD

OK. Disgusted with Trump. If I did not have an American partner, I would stay out of USA for the next four years.

MOVE

25 min Pilates

40 min Yoga

60 min walking

SLEEP

7.5 hrs. 00.15-7.45. Feel a lot better!

Day 16: GETTING SICK?

Son has visited from London, with a cold, that he seems to be leaving with me. It is not the end of the world, but it will of course stop me from working out. Well, well… 

FOOD

L: salad with mango, avocado and salmon

D: duck breast, sweet potatoes, eggs & tomatoes

S: raw bar, fruits, coconut milk coffee

MOOD

Bored. I have 200 essays to grade… and I hate grading!

MOVE

90 minutes Gentle Yoga, because of beginning cold.

SLEEP

8 hrs. 00:30-8.30 straight. Feel rested and full of energy.

Day 17: OUT OF BALANCE

No good day. Woke up far too early because of stress. Have a hard time doing anything but work - and still cannot keep up with my work load. And I am sure that the stress is affecting my W30, but on the other hand I am probably better off doing a W30 than not… and at least I have no time for social engagements, so that makes it easier.

Today, it is two weeks left until I finish W30 – and fly to LA! Looking forward to see partner again, although unfortunately I look exactly the same as when he left and I started W30. I do not think I have lost a single pound this time. But it is OK, I am not overweight. I do not really need to lose weight, although it would have been nice to get rid of the holiday pounds…

FOOD

L: salad with avocados, eggs, salmon & dates

D: shrimp soup with coconut milk

MOOD

Stressed. Like crazy.  

MOVE

45 minutes HIIT & Yoga

SLEEP

5 hrs. 00.00-5.00. + Nap.

Day 18: PRECIOUS SLEEP

Feeling better this morning, happier, less stressed, less bloated. Perhaps because of better sleep? Sleep is the most important thing of all!

Cooked a lot since I was working from home. A big steak, lots of chicken breasts, roasted vegetables and sweet potatoes, banana pancake (yes, but I never eat pancakes outside W30, so the argument about substitutes does not work...). It felt lovely to cook!  

FOOD

B: eggs, bacon, ½ avocado, tomato, ½ grapefruit

L: steak, roasted vegetables, sweet potatoes

D: steak, sauerkraut, dates

S: fruits, coconut coffee, banana pancake

MOOD

So much better today!

MOVE

30 min HIIT + 20 min yoga

SLEEP

7 hrs straight. 11.00-06.00. Woke up early again… 

Archived